BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I mad?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Am I mad? Reply with quote

For the last few months I've been riding about on a 2015 BMW S1000r Sport. I didn't plan on getting a BMW, I was perfectly happy with my 2000 CBR600f, but found myself presented with an opportunity to buy the BMW for a very keen price. It's a great bike and does everything effortlessly, almost to easy, it's like cheating, but alas, I'm not 100% happy. If I was actively looking for a bike to replace my CBR, the BMW would not of even been on the shortlist. I've always had a soft spot for the Street Triple.

Would I be mad to get rid of the BMW S1000r in favor of a Street Triple?

I Recon the value of my BMW should see me on a 2017 Street Triple RS.

I just feel the BMW is to much bike for what I use it for, I'm a proper fair weather rider and only ride for a bit of fun and just think the Triple would put more of smile on my face without feeling the need to ride at triple digits everywhere.

Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ve answered your own question.
Get a Triple Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fazer 1000 is a very capable bike, and I love it. There's nothing I'd rather have if I can only have one bike, but that's because it does everything to a good standard, and I like a bit of fun, a bit of touring, or sometimes just go somewhere on it. But when I had my Striple as well, that was the go-to bike for pure fun. If fun is all you want, get a Striple.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:14 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. S1K is a police magnet.

You will get banned like me if you can only enjoy it at three digits.

Thinking about going back to an R6 whenever I do decide to come back to riding.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of bikes. Lots. 50+.

My 765RS is the best one I've had.

Shameless picture whoring opportunity.

https://i.ibb.co/rvcbDYY/15-09-2020-Cadwell-Park-No-Limits-Trackday.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Gp6mq0d/15-09-2020-Cadwell-Park-No-Limits-Trackday.jpg

Probably worth noting that I don't especially like litre IL4's as they're too capable, un-involving and effortlessly quick. I'm quicker on the track on my 765 than on my brother's 954 blade, and having much more fun in the process.

Basically do it.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:17 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are mad - I'm in a similar situation - I'm looking to get an R1/GSXR because I love motorcycles and these bikes represent the pinnacle of power, handling technical development etc (plus I also have a stupid ego).

On the other hand I have enough experience of bikes to understand that I would probably have a lot more fun on imperfect public roads on something that is not specifically calibrated for super fast, super smooth racetracks - so I would probably be better off getting a KTM 950 super moto than a litre superbike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:27 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple = fun.
Any modern 1000cc bike = a lot more serious.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't owned a pure sports bike for years but my Hayabusa was licence destruction on wheels.

I'd quite often on motorways find myself in 3 figure territory without trying and even on A roads it was so easy to go fast.

I would expect a pure sports bike to be even worse.

I went from my Busa to a Street triple R and didn't regret it

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in the market for a modern bike that's one I'd look at for sure (although I'd wait for the new Trident maybe).

I'd do something about the 'Crazy Frog' front end though.

A BMW 1000 is waaay more bike that I could ever need.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely change. For me the sweet spot is around 100-120 bhp for a (only/main) bike, any more and it gets silly, any less and it feels a bit mechanically unsympathetic. I realise that the Street has more than this but the lack of fairing offsets it a bit.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:28 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's settled then, test ride booked for Tuesday.

Anyone want to buy an S1000r?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

boundy wrote:

Destination Triumph on the A32?

You'll love it - just make sure you put it straight into track mode or turn off the TC entirely. It cuts the power otherwise.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
boundy wrote:

Destination Triumph on the A32?

You'll love it - just make sure you put it straight into track mode or turn off the TC entirely. It cuts the power otherwise.

Yeah, unless it's pissing it down

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a bog standard Street Triple for 8 years.
I've ridden faster, more comfortable bikes with better spec and while I have the means to aquire them, I'm still on the Street.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:47 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I rode a 2018 Street Triple RS yesterday and I came away feeling a little underwhelmed. I put 30 miles on it around the a32/a272, so gave it a fair test in limited time I had it. Engine felt great, if a little lacking in the midrange torque, but I had just jumped off the S1000R, so was alway going to feel underpowered. I liked how light it felt, it changed direction nicely but it felt to small for me, I just felt to big riding it.

I also took out the Speed Triple but the previous model, I kept hitting the rev limiter expecting it move quicker than it did.

Looks like I'm keeping the BMW

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does you BMW have a Magnesium Sump?

Keep it off the road during the Cooncil's Salting Season.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

boundy wrote:
Well I rode a 2018 Street Triple RS yesterday and I came away feeling a little underwhelmed. I put 30 miles on it around the a32/a272, so gave it a fair test in limited time I had it. Engine felt great, if a little lacking in the midrange torque, but I had just jumped off the S1000R, so was alway going to feel underpowered. I liked how light it felt, it changed direction nicely but it felt to small for me, I just felt to big riding it.

I also took out the Speed Triple but the previous model, I kept hitting the rev limiter expecting it move quicker than it did.

Try an R, not an RS.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:14 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
boundy wrote:

What's the difference?
Try an R, not an RS.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the difference will be physical size.
I almost dismissed the Street Triple even before I rode one, after looking around them in showrooms and elsewhere, because I thought they would be physically too small for me (I'm 6'2''). But I actually found mine pretty comfortable (apart from the standard seat!). It actually had slightly more leg room than my Fazer, a bigger bike overall.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

boundy wrote:
What's the difference?

The bike mags and reviews all say it's the better road bike. The RS is great if you want to do trackdays, but the RS has 14 or so BHP lopped off the very very top end, but it has a huge bulging midrange. There is no Ohlins, but the suspension that is there is fully adjustable.

Apparently it's next to impossible to utilise the benefits of the RS on the road, which is why it might feel a bit... well... crap.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:40 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod it, Triumph it is.

I've just written an advert for the BMW, let me know what you think before I stick it on Ebay.

2015 BMW S1000R Sport.

Fantastic condition, low mileage, super naked. This S1000R was purchased new from Bahnstormer BMW in Alton by my Dad and then I bought it from him when he ordered himself a new bike. It has full BMW service history all completed at Bahnstormer and was last serviced & MOTed in June this year. It has just hit 8000 miles. It has a larger touring screen fitted (original included), tail tidy and small plate (originals included) and radiator + oil cooler guards, everything else is factory standard. These bikes come with a huge spec as listed below.

2015 BMW S1000R Sport
Black Storm Metallic
8000 miles
Full BMW service history
All original paperwork and invoices
2 keys
1 previous owner
Factory 2 Stage Heated Grips
4 riding modes with Dynamic Pro unlocked
Trip Computer + Lap timer
Full Electronics Package Including;
ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)
ASC (Automatic Stability Control)
DDC (Dynamic Damping Control, Electronically Adjustable Suspension)
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control)

Larger BMW Touring Screen
Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards
Tail Tidy & Small Number Plate
Factory LED Indicators
Factory Immobiliser
DATA Tag

New Pirelli Rosso Corsa II Rear Tyre less than 100 miles
New Pirelli Rosso Corsa Front Tyre less than 900 miles
New Chain & Sprockets Less than 900 miles

BMW Dealer Service History;
21/07/2015 - 689 miles
03/08/2016 - 3320 miles
16/10/2017 - 4830 miles
05/10/2018 - 6022 miles
10/06/2020 - 7148 miles

Bike is located in Gosport, Hants. PO13
Please feel free to ask any questions, the only trade I would be interested in is a Triumph Street Triple RS
I can be contacted between 07:30 - 23:00 on 07748703010
The bike can be test ridden if the cash is in hand, you can show me adequate insurance cover and it's not raining.

https://i.ibb.co/Hp1dKp9/20201013-123803.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/BZgmNKV/20201013-123828.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/4mCP97n/20201013-123745.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/DKxZYkQ/20201013-123722.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Fs3Lj1y/20201013-123658.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/y4yL5HR/20201013-123633.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/WVtBBCq/20201013-123625.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/KDz9ZxW/20201013-123605.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CHcDyPm/20201013-123552.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mSvZQ3z/20201018-222532.jpg

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:35 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a while but the BMW went off with its new owner today.

Went for £6250, happy with that.

Time to start looking for a Street Triple.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good time of year to be in the market for a bike. Good luck in your search.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd have had the BM me sen - but by christ that boz eyed light arrangement is fucking stupid

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1