91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Get my Own Bike and try to INSURE IT :D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

siedlikmaster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:04 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Getting Full License Reply with quote

Hello,

Today I have passed the theory test. Had the CBT for a year, and been driving 125cc to work every day (even in snow Very Happy)
I'm 27, so I'm thinking about getting full licence.

What's the best way to get it ?

Was thinking about getting a 600cc bike, insure it and let my friend drive it to the test. But then he had hip operation Surprised I could take it with the van from work.

Or just do the Direct access 3 days, 17 hours - £500 + £100 test fees.

Or just do the lets say 3 lessons, £35 per hour on 600cc and then do the one day DAS with motorcycle hire for £220.

All I would need is to get used to the bigger bike, 125cc weights 150 kg anyway, so extra 30 kg won't be big deal for 105 kg person Very Happy

https://www.stokemotorcycletraining.com/motorcyclecourse-prices.asp
Are the prices alright on that website ?

THANKS

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:34 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rates on the website don't seem too bad, no.

Curve ball option - book the tests on your 125 and pass them to get your A1. It's of no particular use to you BUT if you pass on that then you know you're going to be solid on a 600, so your option A carries less of a risk - if, of course, you can actually insure it bearing in mind you'll only have a provisional licence for that class of bike. Could be trickier than you expect.

Frankly, I always believe in throwing money at stuff to solve problems rather than faffing around trying to save a few quid. With the training school option you not only get the bike and the insurance, you get the instructor and the instruction - some of the instruction may well save your little heiny one day and may well be worth the investment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:15 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: 3 Day Reply with quote

Assuming you’ve got the money I’d go for the 3 day.

If you’ve been riding for a year you’ll possibly have picked up a few bad habits. 3 days under supervision will clean up your riding, get you familiar with the test route and the bike.

My concern would be unfamiliar bike, slightly different handling, slightly different controls, more power, added stress of doing the test, more likely to make a mistake or mistakes and fail.

Good luck whichever option you pick.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a bike and arranging transport isn't worth the hassle I think and you miss out on the benefit of some training advice before moving up to a bigger bike. Plus you also need to find an insurer that will do a 600cc bike on a learner license.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:39 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the DAS route, much less faffing about and you can get whatever you want at the end.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Go the DAS route, much less faffing about and you can get whatever you want at the end.

You do realise that all the options he mentioned are DAS?

Do you know what DAS means?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Keithy wrote:

You do realise that all the options he mentioned are DAS?

Do you know what DAS means?

Apologies for not being clearer, I meant option 2. I don’t see any mention of Direct Access in option 3 but no matter.

The OP asks ‘Do the DAS course’ and the other option was ‘let’s say 3 lessons’....then DAS.

Hey ho, no matter, I’ll try to be clearer in future

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS just means going straight to full A licence. There seems to be a general misconception that it describes some sort of condensed course. It doesn't, it just means that you're missing out A1 / A2

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 day course. The mod1 has little resemblance to the real world, so having some training on it makes all the difference. Mod2 training in the area you're doing your test; your instructor will probably take you to known awkward junctions the testers go to, again worth its weight in gold so you're prepared. As mentioned, your riding may need a bit of touching up after a year of riding about too. A 600cc bike (if you mean a 600 4 pot) is probably a poor choice for doing your tests on; you want something with low down torque for control on slow speed stuff (it's not impossible on a 600/4 obviously, but it's harder because of their characteristics). I can imagine accelerating on the mod1 from the corner to the speed trap would be "interesting" on that sort of bike. Chances are any school will be running a twin of some sort which would be far more manageable.

Right now with test availability so rubbish, you want to be doing everything you can to pass first time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1