Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ducati Monster 696 - Buying advice please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Ducati Monster 696 - Buying advice please Reply with quote

Hi guys. We're looking at a Ducati Monster 696 for my wife to take her DAS on. We done a lot of research and found they're the lowest seat height bike you can get that meets the criteria for the practical test, it's 770mm and actually there are a number of other bikes with the same seat height but of all the 770mm bikes the 696 is the lightest at only 185kg wet so probably going to be the easiest bike to learn on for a short-arse like my wife. Also a 30mm lowering kit is available for the 696 which we will probably do.

Anyway the only thing that's putting me off about getting a Ducati is the desmodromic valves. Truth is ongoing maintenance probably isn't going to be an issue for us as we're likely to sell it straight after she passes (as she wants a Rebel 500 but can't take her test on that unless she only goes for an A2 licence). So not going to be putting hardly any miles on the bike realistically. But are there any Ducati experts out there who can give me some tips on what to look out for when viewing a bike? Are bad valves generally an issue and something to look out for? Are there any telltell signs or noises I should be looking out for?

Bike age we're looking at likely to be roughly 2008 to 2010 and mileage roughly 15k to 30k. Ish!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Ducati Monster 696 - Buying advice please Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Hi guys. We're looking at a Ducati Monster 696 for my wife to take her DAS on. We done a lot of research and found they're the lowest seat height bike you can get that meets the criteria for the practical test, it's 770mm and actually there are a number of other bikes with the same seat height but of all the 770mm bikes the 696 is the lightest at only 185kg wet so probably going to be the easiest bike to learn on for a short-arse like my wife. Also a 30mm lowering kit is available for the 696 which we will probably do.

Anyway the only thing that's putting me off about getting a Ducati is the desmodromic valves. Truth is ongoing maintenance probably isn't going to be an issue for us as we're likely to sell it straight after she passes (as she wants a Rebel 500 but can't take her test on that unless she only goes for an A2 licence). So not going to be putting hardly any miles on the bike realistically. But are there any Ducati experts out there who can give me some tips on what to look out for when viewing a bike? Are bad valves generally an issue and something to look out for? Are there any telltell signs or noises I should be looking out for?

Bike age we're looking at likely to be roughly 2008 to 2010 and mileage roughly 15k to 30k. Ish!

The desmo system isn't as scary as it seems. It uses opening and closing cams rather than springs and is very reliable. Valve adjustment isn't hard to do and any dealer should be able to provide opening and closing shims. Ask about belt changes - the camshafts are driven by belts and they need changing regularly. Again, not hard to do but the belts can be pricey for some models. Apart from that, just do the normal checks. Smile

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice. Thanks. Do you know roughly what the belt change intervals are?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years / 15k?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well apparently the belts have just been done on one I've just put a deposit on so long as they have the paperwork, fingers crossed!

Thanks guys!

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
2 years / 15k?

Yep 2 years for the early models (we have an M750 and an M900). Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your wife's name? Thumbelina?! Very Happy Good choice on the Rebel BTW Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a fly-weight girl on one of those yesterday - looks nice. and as you say light. She was very happy with it.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:28 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the school let her do her DAS on her own bike? Seems like you'd be better off finding a school with a suitable DAS training bike for her.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I met a fly-weight girl on one of those yesterday - looks nice. and as you say light. She was very happy with it.

On one of what sorry? A Monster 696 or a Rebel 500?

Robby wrote:
Will the school let her do her DAS on her own bike? Seems like you'd be better off finding a school with a suitable DAS training bike for her.

Yes fortunately they will and I wouldn't go anywhere else anyway as we're quite friendly with the school now as they've virtually done the whole family now:
CBT for me
DAS for me
CBT for my son
AM for my son
A1 for my son
CBT for my wife
And now DAS booked for my wife
Possibly DAS for my Dad in December
Definitely A2 for my son next September

So yeah you could say we're repeat customers Laughing

He even said he might be interested in buying the Monster 696 off us for the school once we've finished with it as he's been wanting a Monster 696 for shorter students but said he couldn't justify the extra cost compared to something like an ER-6 but said he might be interested in ours after we've finished with it even if it's a bit older than he would normally buy it might be good to keep in reserve for some of his future vertically-challenged students. Ironically he just bought a Rebel 500 literally only a couple of weeks ago for the same reason for his A2 students.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we bought the Duck from someone local, got a good price on it for the age and mileage plus it was in the same town so bonus!

One thing though, the clutch seems to be all or nothing which is slightly worrying as it's intended for my wife to learn and do her test on. I think it's a hydraulic clutch, can these be adjusted in any way? Would be nice if letting the clutch out could be a bit more progressive, at the moment you gradually let the lever out and it's like... nothing... nothing... nothing... nothing... nothing... SHIT WE'RE AWAY!!! Was pouring with rain when I went to collect it, nearly threw me off the bike just pulling out of the bloke's driveway but not sure if this is normal for the bike or whether it's something that can be adjusted???

Also dumb question maybe but are these 696s carb or injector?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injected.

The monster's get a lot of stick for having grabby clutches but it's usually just in first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The monster's get a lot of stick for having grabby clutches but it's usually just in first.

So they're not adjustable in any way?

Also Fowlers don't appear to do anything for Ducati. Can anyone recommend a good website with diagrams and part numbers for genuine Ducati parts similar to Fowlers???

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
arry wrote:

So they're not adjustable in any way?

Not in terms of engagement, they're a hydraulic clutch. You could try a fluid change and see whether things get any better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Fuel injected.

Seems strange to me as it has a manual choke. Showing my ignorance here but I thought that was something you only got on carburetted engines :-/

arry wrote:
You could try a fluid change and see whether things get any better?

Apparently the clutch was changed around 400 miles ago so would imagine the fluid would have been done at the same time?

The previous owner has recommended trying adjustable levers...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Seems strange to me as it has a manual choke. Showing my ignorance here but I thought that was something you only got on carburetted engines :-/

It is strange; it's a Ducati. It's not technically a choke, it's a fast idle lever. It opens the throttle plate slightly to aid warm up.

Tuberculosis wrote:

Apparently the clutch was changed around 400 miles ago so would imagine the fluid would have been done at the same time?

The previous owner has recommended trying adjustable levers...

I wouldn't assume that it was 'just because' - the clutch plates are separate from the hydraulics.

It definitely doesn't sound right though, as all reports at the time reported (and the Monster I'd ridden had) a pretty light and easy going clutch.

Having just searched apparently there is some adjustment on the lever but it's sealed over as standard to stop people messing with it. You have to dig the plastic resin out. Might be worth taking it to someone that knows them well and getting an opinion.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that. It's actually going to a bike mechanic on Tuesday to have the lowering plate fitted to the suspension so I'll ask him to have a look.

Thanks arry. I really appreciate your input!

Have a peaceful day.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't improve the clutch action with lever adjustment or bleed/fluid change, then Oberon do an aftermarket slave cylinder that's supposed to make the action a lot smoother.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
If you can't improve the clutch action with lever adjustment or bleed/fluid change, then Oberon do an aftermarket slave cylinder that's supposed to make the action a lot smoother.

Brill, I've put that on my eBay watch list. Fingers crossed my mechanic can do something with it, if not will get that slave cylinder and levers ordered up. Thanks for the advice!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1