Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

eBay's Most Miserable Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:29 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
YNC 49X Registrered at a GSXR, last MOT'd in 2012

Folded arms

https://i.imgur.com/G3tflft.png

YNC 94X is registered as a 750 which doesn't make sense. Confused

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not right whichever way you look at it.

The gov website says YNC 94X is a GSXR750 first registered in 2003, and manufactured in 1982. There's clearly no trace of a GSXR750 anywhere near that bike. There were no GSXRs in 1982 but there was a GSX750 in 1982. Both the early GSX750 and the later GSXR750 were 4 cylinder bikes.

The bike is ill-conceived, but you can't say whoever built that had absolutely no idea about bikes. Somewhere, he got hold of that custom frame. Whatever the frame number might have been, whether it even has one or if it's been purposely scratched off, we'll never know because it seems to be wrapped in vinyl. That's on purpose. Vinyl-wrapped frames will never look as good as professionally painted or powder-coated frames, so why would a custom bike builder do that...

2 obvious errors in the vehicle registration:
Year of manufacture
Model nomenclature

Both errors have one thing in common: they could both have been a "simple typo" on the DVLA computer. Wrong decade in a drop-down list, but the "2" might be right, for an actual GSXR750 made in 2002. Wrong extra letter ("R") in the model name, but the rest of the info might be right if it's an actual GSX750 made in 1982 and first registered in 1983...

Perfect room for doubt all round, don't you think? Deniable stuff, if you had a friendly gnome who works in Swansea you could call, and if you wanted to build a custom bike just for shows which would skirt around MSVA rules if picked up by ANPR (as the rules were looser in 1982).

Just a thought... Not saying this is a definitive example of corruption, but it would be a strange coincidence that matched this particular custom bike with a dodgy DVLA record.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious but road legal? Really??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Road-Legal-Bobber-Hard-Tail-Flat-Tracker-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-Chopper/203154173227?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

At £576 and still 8 hours to go...

Probably registered as a Honda C90.

Some people have been quick on the uptake. Some haven't (I've cottoned on only recently). I believe that many laws have been academic - unofficially deprecated/offlined - for many months (in some cases, for years). Not just traffic laws, but lots of laws. Companies and councils often deny FOI requests now. Planning laws, competition and tender regulations are also being sidelined. I think, as far as vehicle laws go, this one will probably pass under the radar unless the police get a social media spotlight on them for doing nothing, which is unlikely. Some sort of wool-pulling is still going on in terms of police enforcement - a few cars being pulled over for no insurance, and that sort of thing. Mostly to be seen as doing something, on Twitter. But I think things like motorcycle modification rules are mostly a legacy thing existing in people's imaginations now. From the cafe butchery scene, which is already old-hat, to private electric scooters being ridden on pavements at 30mph, we're in a different world.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely a weird one! Bonus points for integrating the fuel tank into the frame tubing but I doubt it'll have much range Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
...to private electric scooters being ridden on pavements at 30mph, we're in a different world.

Slightly tangential to this thread but last time I went up town on my old-hat ICE motorcycle there was an electric something. It had wheels too small to call it a bicycle but too big to be one of these new scooters they're thinking of legalising. It had a seat but no pedals. It was cruising at at least 15mph and passing cyclists. The guy was wearing a helmet but only the sort of thing a BMXer or skater boi would have Thinking

I'm surprised we haven't seen a poor old C90 converted to electric on this thread Neutral

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Slightly tangential to this thread but last time I went up town on my old-hat ICE motorcycle there was an electric something. It had wheels too small to call it a bicycle but too big to be one of these new scooters they're thinking of legalising. It had a seat but no pedals. It was cruising at at least 15mph and passing cyclists. The guy was wearing a helmet but only the sort of thing a BMXer or skater boi would have Thinking

We might have seen the same guy. It looks sort of like an old-school ladies' bicycle, with a couple of 70s/80s small Japanese motorcycle features, such as a mudguard, and the handlebar style. He only ever rides on the pavement. Always wears sunglasses or some sort of goggles/visor. He seems to be about 30, with average height and build. He doesn't seem right in the head... There's something about him you can't quite put your finger on. You sense that if you tried to explain anything to him about riding on the road vs pavement, he wouldn't understand. Very, very strange guy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not that guy Wink This is definitely a more modern contraption and he was riding in the road & bus lane. It was more like a cross between a Ruckus and a stand-up scooter.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:59 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Hilarious but road legal? Really??

Ask him for the registration number so that you can see the MOT history...

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Looks to be a custom steel frame

Looks like it's made out of hose pipe. Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda C90 forks mebbe,
cant see how that qualifies as a Honda.
I'd like to see the MOT history too.
BMX bicycle frame modded to accept a Lifan C90 clone lump
Such a limited amount of fuel in frame tubes is dumb unless
you never plan to ride far.

Not fit or legal for road use IMO

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
[From the cafe butchery scene, which is already old-hat, to private electric scooters being ridden on pavements at 30mph, we're in a different world.

I hate these arseholes - usually the same user profile 20-30 year old males mainly, saw one today with a 'man bun' FFS. I've written to Halfords to complain about their tacit encouragement for selling these weapons for illegal use...

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I hate these arseholes - usually the same user profile 20-30 year old males mainly, saw one today with a 'man bun' FFS. I've written to Halfords to complain about their tacit encouragement for selling these weapons for illegal use...

Halfords know what they're doing. The bikes are "limited" to 15mph and are to be used "off road". In reality, they get derestricted and used on the roads and pavements. However, I doubt that end-user hackers reverse engineered these things. I think it's more likely the manufacturers themselves spread this information from day one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MAXu0UVl3s

I knew there would be chaos, but I didn't know what shape it would take, over a year ago:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4607453&highlight=#4607453

In reality, enforcement levels are radically different between different towns, even within a short distance (a couple of miles) between each other. I don't think "they" (police, councils, etc.) like us to know about that. In Henley-on-Thames someone could be reading this and wondering what on earth we're talking about.

Anyway, I can make a reasonable guess as to which way things are going right now. Whether it's good or bad I don't know, but I'm fairly sure we can get away with just about any motorcycle modification we like right now, in this twilight zone, just as long as we don't ping ANPR or annoy the "wrong" people. We're all going to need to adapt our way of thinking to not end up much worse off, in all sorts of ways (unrelated to bikes), because of the new developments.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gavel fell at £775

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Road-Legal-Bobber-Hard-Tail-Flat-Tracker-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-Chopper-/203154173227?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=MGaVziz7R061XCxYDbe0k8J0DaQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Quite a respectable figure.

I do find that bike "interesting". Obviously, it's a bit miserable, and it's not at all legal, or even safe, but as a concept, it's got something that people want.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I do find that bike "interesting".

Agreed, surprised by how high the bidding went though. Wonder if it'll be up again next week due to non paying bidder.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't made anything quite as dramatic as this "BMX" thing but I would guess, given it's lightness, the drum brakes would be sufficient. The geometry is closer to a C90 than a first glance might suggest. It has proper tyres and wheels.

Personally though I wouldn't fancy it without indicators. Contrary to what BMW owners will tell you they are useful to show other road users your intentions! BMX, BMW... only one letter different I guess Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The gavel fell at £775

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Road-Legal-Bobber-Hard-Tail-Flat-Tracker-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-Chopper-/203154173227?autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=MGaVziz7R061XCxYDbe0k8J0DaQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Quite a respectable figure.

I do find that bike "interesting". Obviously, it's a bit miserable, and it's not at all legal, or even safe, but as a concept, it's got something that people want.

I quite like it. I wouldn't want it or buy it but it's different and a bit of fun. I would be interested to know if it would have made more money as a standard C90 though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title alone
"Custom Road Legal Bobber Hard Tail Flat Tracker Cafe Racer Motorcycle Chopper"
Says form over function shite to me

It isn't a Honda C90, any MOTs from a C90 will be irrelevant
It isnt road legal
It's a farm bike and that's all

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:46 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CX500-custom-street-tracker-cafe-racer-bobber-very-low-mileage-ex-condn/124420483409?hash=item1cf809e951:g:lNMAAOSwYV5fn~ld

It's the detail which is the most depressing. Just horrible: Dodgy cables (the clutch outer is snapped and the retaining nut just lying on top of the rubber gaiter below), poor routing around the tank, invisible rear indicators are a SMIDSY-magnet. The plastic nut covers over the footpegs (some of which are already missing) are pretty crappy, but no original rubber cap over the more important swingarm locknut? For £3,500 I'd expect that level of detail, ie. completed. I mean, the speedometer cable is hanging below its retainer (on the brake caliper). Why, man? Why? I think we've been here before.

And the blurb is worse: allegedly, the seller has improved on Honda's poor exhaust design with his engineered system. I will buy the man a cupcake if he can prove the er, improvement.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is what I call a cynical attempt to wow that crowd. He's got money on his mind. A few too many cheap ingredients in that one. If McDonalds did custom bikes, they would probably look like that.
He's put in a new mini battery and hidden the electrics, as is de rigeur for that crowd.

I'd expect to find beer can strips and jubilee clamps under all that exhaust wrap. Not sure if either the front or the rear tyre is on the wrong way. I like his idiot light LEDs, but not much else. The side stand is a bit worrying.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Now that is what I call a cynical attempt to wow that crowd. He's got money on his mind. A few too many cheap ingredients in that one. If McDonalds did custom bikes, they would probably look like that.
He's put in a new mini battery and hidden the electrics, as is de rigeur for that crowd.

I'd expect to find beer can strips and jubilee clamps under all that exhaust wrap. Not sure if either the front or the rear tyre is on the wrong way. I like his idiot light LEDs, but not much else. The side stand is a bit worrying.

The numberplate looks suspiciously like it's jubilee clipped to the right hand shock, and that mudguard looks like it'll rub over the slightest bump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's 'sort' after so gotta be valuable right?
'guenuine' 21K
No fuel filter, a must have on an old CX
No rubber insulator cap on starter lead
Illegal numberplate
Pissy little form over function rear lights
Clean carbs and Pods maybe but no mention of jet compensation for this.

'Bullet proof engine good for 200K' my arse
They are capable of clocking up big miles but only when the
important issues are addressed and he doesn't mention any of them.

The minimal mudguards will do little to stop road shit from being spattered
all over the engine front and rear,( including the battery stowed down below)
Has this 'engineer' ever ridden a feckin bike?
I'll give him some plus points for not totally ruining it by cutting the rear frame and monoshocking it, but it's the all too common mutton dressed as lamb CX IMO.
Built to sell to some hipster mug, not ride.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CX500-custom-street-tracker-cafe-racer-bobber-very-low-mileage-ex-condn/124420483409?hash=item1cf809e951:g:lNMAAOSwYV5fn~ld

It's got those shocks on it again..

..run away!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
And the blurb is worse: allegedly, the seller has improved on Honda's poor exhaust design with his engineered system. I will buy the man a cupcake if he can prove the er, improvement.

A pair of eBay "15 dolla, blowy blowy" slip-ons, zero effort there.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'engineer' flogging the CX above has other hideous examples of his work for sale.
Seriously, who buys this shit?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J3QAAOSw~51fMAB1/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/L6kAAOSwSpJfkbtm/s-l1600.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 14 of 66