Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Collection or delivery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:47 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Collection or delivery Reply with quote

My bike is ready, they can deliver it from Worcester, or I can collect it. Advice from them was to get it delivered ‘new bike, unfamiliar roads, better to go local on your first ride’ etc.

It’s a 75 mile trip along the A449 to Kidderminster then A442 to Bridgnorth then A458 to Shrewsbury..

Whatcha reckon?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they charging for delivery? If they're not, I'd have it delivered personally, just because convenience.

If they're charging and it's enough to make you say balls to it, worth getting yourself there to collect then just go get it.

Unfamiliar roads shouldn't make any difference - just ride carefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:40 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50 delivery. There & back in the car is £23 in dieseasel.

I’m thinking it’s one of those ‘experiences’ not be missed, but at only £50 it saves hassle and half a day off work.

Although ‘Black & White’ in Worcester do a very nice breakfast. Thumbs Up

Ever get the feeling I may be indecisive?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what bike have you bought? Mr. Green

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

Ever get the feeling I may be indecisive?

I'm not sure.

£50 delivery I'd take and not look back frankly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:42 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So what bike have you bought? Mr. Green

ER6-F

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

ER6-F

Pics then....

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd lean toward picking up the bike in Worcester. If there is any imperfection or abnormality with the bike, you can work it out with the dealer then and there. Have them show you how to check the oil and coolant levels (see if they are doing it correctly), chain adjustment, and make sure the bike has its factory supplied tool kit. Show them that you give a shit about the bike you just purchased, and they may be less likely to blow you off if issues arise later.

Last bike I bought new, the dealer was about to send me home on a bike with different colored decals on the left and right side fuel tank scoops; apparently they had two bikes apart at the same time and parts had mistakenly been swapped. One mirror was loose, the battery strap was missing, and the rear tire was dangerously low. I will never blindly trust a dealer until they prove to me they can be trusted.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
£50 delivery. There & back in the car is £23 in dieseasel.

At only £50 it saves hassle and half a day off work.

You have answered your own question.

£23 + half a days lost earnings + your time = £50++

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to ride it home, then a handlebar-mounted GPS is a good system if you're worried about getting lost. Better than road traffic signage.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make an event of it; if you're confident they'll be no problems with it, then sort out a train ticket (trains at the moment, from my experience, are actually quite pleasant as they're so quiet and probably no higher risk from covid than going into a supermarket), get yourself a nice breakfast and head over to the dealer to get the bike (or get the bike and find somewhere for breakfast). Then take time to make your way back home, bit of exploring along the way to get to know your new bike. Unless the weather forecast is rubbish anyway.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Make an event of it; if you're confident they'll be no problems with it, then sort out a train ticket (trains at the moment, from my experience, are actually quite pleasant as they're so quiet and probably no higher risk from covid than going into a supermarket), get yourself a nice breakfast and head over to the dealer to get the bike (or get the bike and find somewhere for breakfast). Then take time to make your way back home, bit of exploring along the way to get to know your new bike. Unless the weather forecast is rubbish anyway.

This. So much this. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done both, not regretted either.
I went to see a Fazer 1000 at a dealer's in Leicester, travelling from Oxford. No purchase previously arranged, but they had three of them in stock, so thought it a good likelihood that one at least would fit my requirements.

The one I chose actually had a leaky fork seal, and they said they could get it changed out before closing time. So off I went to get some lunch and kill some time. When I got back, they were still working on it. Turns out it had a damaged damper rod, which they were also swapping out from one of the others in the showroom. Rode it home.

Had my Street Triple delivered from a dealer in Derbyshire to Carlisle. I think £50 was the charge with that one. Had gone to see and test ride the bike earlier - they also had several examples in stock, so thought that was worth the journey, but having settled on one, wasn't interested in going back to collect it. They needed time to service it, including valve check, which I insisted on as it was due.

Presumably, if you've already made the purchase, you've seen and are happy with the bike, so I'd go convenience.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my first "big bike" also an ER6-f funnily enough from Stratford upon Avon back to Bristol. Got the wife to
drive me up there with some kit in the car, went into town paid the man (ebay purchase) watched him pay off the
finance outstanding and spoke to them to confirm that, then got changed in his house and rode home. No problemo.
It's an easy bike to ride, just do it. Get the maiden voyage out of the way.

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:33 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have time and feeling the effort, fetch it. If it is me, I would opt for delivery.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decision made.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=331581

carbon90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:32 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

Great effort collecting it! Nice bike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1