Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help Registering a Moped!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National
View previous topic : View next topic  

Newbie2020
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:19 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Help Registering a Moped! Reply with quote

So, got a dodgy one for you.

I've bought an old chinese moped (125cc), no plates. no v5. owner says its never been regsitered. he has no docs to prove ownership (receipt) but he's in his 60's so im guessing he just lost them.

It's from 2005, its made by a company called Jiangmen Zhongyu in China.

What do i need to do to get this thing on the road?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book/if-you-cannot-apply-online

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to complete this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time-v555

It involves a whole load of paperwork you don't have and maybe hard to get. Better of finding out the actual model it is and seeing if you can get a frame (with v5) on eBay, build new parts on to frame.

Newbie2020
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:19 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the model. However, I had enough trouble buying parts for it in the first place.

Is there nothing at all I can do to get the original documentation of this vehicle? Surely the records exist somewhere.

I can't see this just being the end of this bike. 15 miles on the engine since new 15 years ago.

Newbie2020
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I go down the V62 route and SORN it?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:35 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm doing the same thing on a moped i acquired, you can contact the DVLA and give them the frame number should be 17 digits located on the headstock where the front forks and steering assembly is, they will be able to tell you if has previously been registered and maybe be able to supply the reg number, if it hasn't then you will need to fill out form V55/5 as has been said, there is no other way, it's a process that you have to follow, best of luck Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie2020 wrote:
I know the model.

Which is?

Quote:
Is there nothing at all I can do to get the original documentation of this vehicle? Surely the records exist somewhere.

If it's never been registered you need all the documents listed in the link I provided. I guess you could do the individual vehicle approval test thing, I know sod all about that though so you may want to google it.

If it's a typical Chinese GY6 clone then you may find a whole range of frames you can build the parts on to, often the same bike is sold under many names with tiny or no actual differences.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1