Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need advice, Taking swingarm off ER6f 2007

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:35 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Need advice, Taking swingarm off ER6f 2007 Reply with quote

Soooo ive not treated my bike the best, ive left it out in the rain a little too much and now I need to take the swing arm off and give it a repaint to protect it from rust...

I think ive spotted the mount in the frame, but i cant find any stands.

Whats the best way to suport the bike lifting the weight off the swing arm and back tire so I can remove it and work on it?

I have some terrible ideas, but I wanted to ask before i attempt it...

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some help and put an axle stand under each front footrest bracket.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:44 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

ohh i might have a couple of them lying around...

So the foot peg mounts are strong enough to take the weight of the bike?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through this for all the information you seek complete with pictures.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also other than a zinc anti rust primer....
What should i paint the swing arm with? Id need something thats strong and grease repellent.

Enamel?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:38 - 27 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Have a read through this for all the information you seek complete with pictures.

Ohh thanks looking now... And wow youre bike is a little newer than mine, but you did an amazing job on it. Surprised mines held up this well Very Happy
though I am now scared to take the swing arm off and discover whats going on inside it D:

ADDED
holy crap wow thats some scary stuff........ I really hope mines no where near this bad when i take it off... Its only 36k miles but still.... Ive left it out in the weather far too much.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:03 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
What should i paint the swing arm with?

Just have it blasted and powder coated imo, you will need a new set of bearings if you go this route. Also worth sloshing around some rust converter inside then a generous amount of waxoyl.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
yen_powell wrote:

ohh i might have a couple of them lying around...

So the foot peg mounts are strong enough to take the weight of the bike?
I would have thought so, just remember, the mounting brackets, not the foldey footrests themselves.

Other option is to put the axle stands under the centre stand mounting points if the bike has them and this doesn't get in the way of the swing arm removal.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over the bike again, i dont think i can mount under the foot pegs, as that wing/plate that the foot stand is on is only mounted to the frame by a few bolts. It might be able to take the weight of a 100kg fat man like myself but i dont think it can support the whole 200kg of bike.

Also there doesnt appear to be anyway to take the swing arm off without having to take the plate that the foot pegs are on, off... As all the linkage is behind it.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:10 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as for paints, I was going to use ISOPON Zinc 182 rust inhibiting primer.... But im also seeing some places say using an etch primer as it bonds with the metal better, Whats the opinion here?

Also what top paint should I use? Again some suggest hammerite satin finish aerosol paint.

Any other recommendations? Obviously this needs to be hard waring and resistant to grit chipping.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does OP have to be so autistic about everything?

Remove swinging arm.

Get blasted.

Powder coat / paint to taste.

Refit swinging arm.

Profit.

It doesn't really warrant a billion technical questions. Rolling Eyes

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Why does OP have to be so autistic about everything?

Remove swinging arm.

Get blasted.

Powder coat / paint to taste.

Refit swinging arm.

Profit.

It doesn't really warrant a billion technical questions. Rolling Eyes

Right simple question then. How much does it cost to get the swing arm stripped, treated and powdercoated? 100? 200 quid? More?

How much does it cost to do it myself with paint.... 20? 30 quid at most?

Thats why I have to be so autistic about everything... Im not made of money. If i was I wouldnt be riding a 2007 er6f would I?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paint it with rattle cans the finish will last about 10 minutes, especially if you ride the bike all year round.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to remember when I had mine done earlier in the year. Was somewhere around £100 including blasting, coating, pulling and pressing in near bearings I gave them

https://puu.sh/G4EUm.jpg

I had done some patches on it with Zinc182/hammerite over the years, I found under quite a lot of that, the rust had got back in under it. That was using a converter too.

Its worth having it blasted/coated just to be able to not worry about it again for the next 10 years. The DIY repairs dont last as long.

Also looks a lot closer to stock than hammerite ever will.

As for getting the swing arm out, few options, axle stands under the pegs, and throw a car jack under the exhaust collector for extra security? Table stand will also work. Just obviously make sure you crack all the bolts first because its not going to be super stable. Ratchet straps from rafters work too if you have the ability.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Im trying to remember when I had mine done earlier in the year. Was somewhere around £100 including blasting, coating, pulling and pressing in near bearings I gave them

https://puu.sh/G4EUm.jpg

I had done some patches on it with Zinc182/hammerite over the years, I found under quite a lot of that, the rust had got back in under it. That was using a converter too.

Its worth having it blasted/coated just to be able to not worry about it again for the next 10 years. The DIY repairs dont last as long.

Also looks a lot closer to stock than hammerite ever will.

As for getting the swing arm out, few options, axle stands under the pegs, and throw a car jack under the exhaust collector for extra security? Table stand will also work. Just obviously make sure you crack all the bolts first because its not going to be super stable. Ratchet straps from rafters work too if you have the ability.

Not gonna lie, that looks amazing...

Tbh right now even 100 quid is too much for me :/ if i can fix it myself for now and not have to worry for a couple more (or more) years that would be better i think ... Just money is a real issue for me :/ I just had to fork out 150 quid for MOT + new rear tire and fitting :/ as it was a little too worn D:

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:01 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always find DIY results vary directly with effort out into prep work - ball ache that it is. Try give yourself ample time to do a proper job. And good luck to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:46 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big advantage of getting it blasted is that you'll find out how fucked it is. If the metal has rusted enough to be dangerous, the sand blaster will blow holes through it.

Metal doesn't care how much money you have. If the swingarm is rusted out, it needs repairing or replacing.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the ER6 swingarm isn't he external finish as bad as it is its the inside of the right fork. This fills with water and it rots from the inside out.
If you remove the right hand chain adjuster cap a visual inspection will tell you if it's worth getting the outside painted.
If you do get the outside stripped and powder coated you run the risk of the swingarm corroding under the powder coat where you can't see it.

NutsyUk wrote:
Looking over the bike again, i dont think i can mount under the foot pegs, as that wing/plate that the foot stand is on is only mounted to the frame by a few bolts. It might be able to take the weight of a 100kg fat man like myself but i dont think it can support the whole 200kg of bike.

Also there doesnt appear to be anyway to take the swing arm off without having to take the plate that the foot pegs are on, off... As all the linkage is behind it.

You don't need to remove the footrest plates to remove the swingarm just the plastic cover in front of them. If you remove the left hand plate it gives you better access.

There is no linkage on the ER6 so that's not a problem.

The side stand and an axle stand under the right hand plate is more than enough to support the bike, it doesn't weight 200kg and once the rear wheel is removed it weighs a lot less and the weight is in front of the swingarm pivot.

This is all shown in this picture , just look closely

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/no_rear_end1.jpg

You will probably need a windy gun or electric impact gun to remove the pivot bolt nut or just use a long breaker bar while the bike is still in one piece and on it's wheels on the floor.
Removing the pivot bolt is a bit of a bitch, it tends to corrode to the spacer so make sure you have a good selection of drifts and punches, that or hope you are lucky and it comes straight out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1