Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HD and HD ready

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: HD and HD ready Reply with quote

I'm after a small (24" max) TV for a bedroom and nothing silly money.

Nigh on all the name brands under £200 say 720 and HD ready. Some of the cheapy no names say 1080 and HD.

2 things. Will I see a difference on a 24" TV and are the cheapys basically lying? Is 720 HD or if it isn't how can they call it HD ready?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:43 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I thought we'd be out of this particular quagmire by now.

Don't buy the 720 one. HD ready means 720. 720 isn't inherently bad but it does mean you can't display native 1080 content.

Also bear in mind that the 1080 in this context will be 1080i which is not as good as 1080p... so again you won't be able to display native 1080p content so Netflix and games consoles will be downscaled. Not usually a big deal... but now with everything going 4k you're locking yourself into what is most certainly obsolete technology...

I'm not saying to go for 4k but be aware of what you're letting yourself in for by going for something that isn't even 1080p...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I blame you giving confusing signals. Laughing

When I asked about a large TV you said a 4k one wouldn't show SD and HD very well. Now you're saying get a 4k one for future proofing. AAARRRGH!!!!!

Whatever I get will run off a Firestick.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:17 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/philips-24pfs6805.html

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:40 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I blame you giving confusing signals. Laughing

When I asked about a large TV you said a 4k one wouldn't show SD and HD very well. Now you're saying get a 4k one for future proofing. AAARRRGH!!!!!

Whatever I get will run off a Firestick.

What I said was not contradictory. You will have to put up with the fact that a 4k TV won't display SD signals very well. The best compromise will be a 1080p capable TV especially at that size.

Things aren't going 4k very rapidly, so you'll be OK, but if you're expecting to keep the TV for ten years then you might be out of luck!

I work in the TV industry and I don't own a 4k TV. Take from that what you will!

Having re-read my comments I can see where the confusion might lie:

There are a number of levels of TV resolution available now. More than you might think! They go as follows:

SD (PAL 576i 720x576)

V

HD (720p OR 1080i (1920x1080 but interlaced... this is a big deal)

V

3G (this is a broadcast term meaning 3gigabit or 3rd generation, both apply in different ways - mostly just called FULL HD to consumers for some confusing reason!) Actually 1080p in reality, 1920x1080 image displayed every frame @50 frames a second.

V

4k - 2160p

V

8k - no f*cker uses this yet except some nutbars in Japan, but it will come eventually. This is a higher resolution than 35mm film so realistically it's limited!

So where your confusion lies is between the 1080i and 1080p The 'p' is a big deal as it means one 1920x1080 image displayed every frame at 50 frames a second as opposed to half a 1920x1080p image displayed every field at 50 fields a second basically 25 frames a second made up of interlaced halves...

So my (tl;dr) advice would be buy a TV that can do 1080p or 'Full HD' and forget about everything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ OK, that make sense^^^ Thumbs Up

One final question. How do I educate wifie that the BBC channel on the top of the Freesat listings (channel 101) is BBC1 SD and my big telly does have the proper HD. I might as well have a steam powered one as far as she is concerned. Laughing

Seriously, she does not see a difference worth bothering about.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:56 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
8k - no f*cker uses this yet except some nutbars in Japan, but it will come eventually. This is a higher resolution than 35mm film so realistically it's limited!

8k? Laughing Come on Marj, 12k is a thing now. Shocked

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/blackmagicursaminipro

MarJay wrote:
So my (tl;dr) advice would be buy a TV that can do 1080p or 'Full HD' and forget about everything else.

Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I'm aware, but it's only a thing for presenting at events and things. If we won't take up 4k we haven't got near 8k and 12k is just not on the radar.

Trust me on this. I've bought black magic boxes before. They are good, but don't last long enough for my applications. Take from that what you will!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
^^^ OK, that make sense^^^ Thumbs Up

One final question. How do I educate wifie that the BBC channel on the top of the Freesat listings (channel 101) is BBC1 SD and my big telly does have the proper HD. I might as well have a steam powered one as far as she is concerned. Laughing

Seriously, she does not see a difference worth bothering about.

I have this problem too, my other half can't tell the difference. She watches Top Gear on iPlayer whilst it's still on, which means the full transcode process has not completed. This mean you need to watch it all blocky and lower than SD scaled up... she doesn't even notice!

I say to her - wait until the episode has finished and we can watch the full 1080p version! Nah, she doesn't get it.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents are exactly the same. Still running a 10+ year old sky box with a scart connection. Picture quality is shite, but they keep saying they don’t need an upgrade. I connected up my laptop while I was staying a few nights a while ago and put on LOTR at full resolution of the screen, literally their first words were “wow that’s a good picture!!” and still refused to change their sky box after ... can’t win.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it all too confusing

I just want, buy telly, plug thingy ma doo dah in, watch telly with good picture Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1