A2 "forever bike"?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:08 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Isn’t the RS660 100hp, so too powerful for A2?

98 at the wheel, but there is a 94bhp version available. I'd wager there is probably no actual difference between them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t get an A2 as a forever bike. I’d pass my ‘full’ licence then get what I wanted.
If for some reason I need an A2 bike for a period - perhaps age restrictions) I’d look at getting a bike which has been restricted down to A2 then derestrict it when I was fully licenced.
Why settle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Keithy wrote:

98 at the wheel, but there is a 94bhp version available. I'd wager there is probably no actual difference between them.

ECU restricted apparently which could be convenient if it is easy to bypass.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "forever" A2 bikes are probably more likely retro's, cruisers, enduros, light ADV bikes. The kind of bikes where the power output and speed are not really something the owner thinks much about.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for the Interceptor, I prefer it to the Street Twin, however I think the ultimate dream bike forever is the Himalayan.

I have a few minor mods planned for the Himalayan this winter, replace the front brake pads with decent pads, fit a power plug to help start and idle, fit an iridium spark plug and a DNA air filter, I have all the parts from TEC, plan to do it next week.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Yeah but it's about how the power is delivered too... There is definitely a 'fun' sweet spot, but it's higher than 47bhp sadly. It's between 70 and 120bhp IMO.

NAH!!! Got to be 150bhp minimum Whistle

Keithy wrote:

99pbh according to MCN so yeah rules it out gotta be no more than 93-94bhp Brick Wall

1198 wrote:
I wouldn’t get an A2 as a forever bike. I’d pass my ‘full’ licence then get what I wanted.
If for some reason I need an A2 bike for a period - perhaps age restrictions) I’d look at getting a bike which has been restricted down to A2 then derestrict it when I was fully licenced.
Why settle?

If you read OP carefully you'll see he's planning to get full licence later and wants to buy his second/weekend forever bike as he knows his first/main bike will change over the years. In which case saying "I'd never ever own a bike with 47bhp or less even as a second bike" is ridiculous. I actually see some sense in what he's saying, especially if he doesn't go for a "jack of all trades and master of none" AKA "a good-allrounder" A2 bike and gets something fun/quirky but not necessarily something he would ride every day (just have to put up with it until they get to the ripe old age of 21 and can get full category A). Makes perfect sense to me. Although even as a second bike, I question this "forever" business as most of us know that talk tends to be us fooling ourselves but the intent is there.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:48 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Keithy wrote:

99pbh according to MCN so yeah rules it out gotta be no more than 93-94bhp Brick Wall

There’s an A2 version. Plus 99 Italian documented horses is probably closer to 94bhp at the crank with transmission losses I bet it’s technically legal.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
with transmission losses I bet it’s technically legal.

Short of digging through the legislation I can't cite this exactly but the legislation was definitely written on a 'stated power' type basis, ie at crank.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not look for a forever bike, I would look for a bike that meets a set of criteria and then see if it becomes a forever bike. You'll never know until you have ridden and owned one for a while if you actually want to keep it.

If you're planning to get a bigger bike with a full-A licence and keep this A2 bike then I'd look for something that does a different job to a big bike and where a lower engine power is not actually a compromise. So as above, an adventure or enduro kind of thing would be my approach.

Last edited by weasley on 14:39 - 19 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:31 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MarJay wrote:
with transmission losses I bet it’s technically legal.

Short of digging through the legislation I can't cite this exactly but the legislation was definitely written on a 'stated power' type basis, ie at crank.

Oh yeah but knowing the Italians? The A2 version is probably identical apart from 94 written on the VIN instead of 99.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

"Net engine power" I believe. I did once waste a load of time trying to find the EU legislated definition of that but got bored Laughing . I think it means at the crank. For someone on A2 I think it would be foolish to go by anything other than manufacturers stated power, claiming "yeah but it probably lost a few ponies over the last 20 years", I doubt would cut it in court.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the V5C documents for all 5 bikes I have registered at my address (not all mine! I have one, my boy has one, my wife has two and my dad is long-term borrowing my 125 so technically mine) and there's nothing stated on any of them about power. Some have weight and power to weight ratio. Some have only power to weight ratio but not the weight. I'm guessing the officially rated power could be deduced from the weight and power to weight ratio but in the absence of either you'd struggle to convince your insurance company that the power is only 94 because 'the ponies are Italian'. Pretty sure they'd simply go with the officially quoted crank power from the manufacturer. Just a guess but siding with wr6133 on this one.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this imaginary "forever bike"???

If it does exist, it must be exceedingly rare. I'd wager there is not a single BCF member still riding the bike he/she rode in the 1970's. I owned and rode a /2 BMW for 29 years (1976-2005). You'll laugh to hear I sold it for a low mile Honda Pacific Coast, which I had for 9 years and 107,000 miles. To this day, I regret parting with the PC; way more than any other bike I've owned. I became enamored with the performance of my VFR. The PC was a pig by contrast. BUT: it was a reliable, durable, faithful pig.
I miss it.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd wager there is not a single BCF member still riding the bike he/she rode in the 1970's

Nearly, my first bike was a BSA C15 in 1971, I still had one up to two years ago, here it is.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
What this imaginary "forever bike"???

If it does exist, it must be exceedingly rare. I'd wager there is not a single BCF member still riding the bike he/she rode in the 1970's.

I've only had it 3 and a half years but the Enfield isn't going anywhere. Ever.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three and a half years is the lifespan of a Hamster Cool
When CorriganJ said "forever bike", I concluded he meant a lifetime in human years.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

When CorriganJ said "forever bike", I concluded he meant a lifetime in human years.

Only way to answer that though is to sit through a lot of Will readings Laughing

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Only way to answer that though is to sit through a lot of Will readings Laughing

Hopefully not your own.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Nearly, my first bike was a BSA C15 in 1971, I still had one up to two years ago, here it is.

Doesn't sound like that one you had up until two years ago was the same one you bough back in 1971 though was it?

I'm going with "later in life you purchased the same bike that you bought as your first bike out of nostalgia but quickly remembered why you sold it in the first place as it wasn't as good as you remembered and didn't live up to your expectations / hopes that it would be as good as you remembered, so sold it".

Am I right?

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty much right, I was running out of space so the C15 and the Bullet had to go to make more room, I did enjoy the Sunday morning spin on the C15 though, but only did about 200 miles a year on it.
Still, it is a nice little bike, and who knows what I may get in the future, maybe another one.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up she's pretty to look at, nice bike Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2