Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First ride home

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:12 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: First ride home Reply with quote

So, following on from 'Collection or Delivery' I decided to collect my new (to me) bike and ride it home. Having committed to this I dropped the delivery charge from the invoice, sorted the VED, finalised the insurance and gritted my teeth. Quite a bit more than anticipated actually as I awoke yesterday with a pain in the right foot. Sad

One semi sleepless night later as I 'rode' every bit of the road home worrying about big steep hills like Harley Bank etc. I awoke with the gimpy leg (yet more worry!) put in a half a day of work and prepared to set off.

11:45 depart Shrewsbury
11::55 turn around at Cross Houses and return to Shrewsbury to get my helmet Rolling Eyes
12:05 depart Shrewsbury- again.
13:20 lunch at Black & Whit3 in Worcester.
14:45 arrive at Malvern

After a good going over all the oily bits and what I need to check I had no option but to get on it and ride it home.

After setting off I fogged up quite quickly despite the pinlock, mainly 'cos my pulse must have been around 150bpm. Wobbled around Worcester, including a stop at lights on the bridge where my gear indicator kept showing "2" while I was convinced I was in first. Yet more gritting of teeth and a big handful of revs whilst praying it was in "1" and we are off again.

Settled down a bit, negotiated Kidderminster and set off for Bridgnorth, an interesting bit of road. Gave it some of the beans on an uphill bit and started to wander off towards the other side of road. 4 weeks and it is easy to forget 'you go where you are looking'.

Climb up the hill at Bridgnorth was brisk and at Wenlock caught up with an i10 doing 24mph, which was a bonus as it meant a steady descent of Harley Bank Smile followed by a somewhat quicker ascent.

A quick blat around the bypass and I start to realise why every weekend here sounds like a race track! Having gone from an Alfa to a diseasel beemer I'm really out of practice when it comes to giving it a spanking. 3,000 rpm on the Bimmer, the odd 6,500 on the Alfa but FML 10k!!?

Managed to pull on my sloping drive without without dropping it, which surprised me, took a photo for posterity and the spent 20 minutes re-arranging the garage while herself grumbled about moving stuff around.

I keep finding things that I need to get from/take into the garage and when I do I keep going "F*^k me! There's a motorbike in here"

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

It gets more normal. But even after a decade and a bit I still get the urge to go for a massive turtle birth in the period just before I get out to the garage and just after I've got my full gear on.

All of this and still no pics? Is your phone a poh-tay-to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried off the Poh-tay-toe & it didn’t work, second attempt...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All a learning curve; arguably some of that initial familiarisation was forced onto you because you had to get the thing home. It'll get easier from here on in, just get out and ride it when you can and don't shy away from wet days as being familiar and confident riding in the wet is handy for that dry ride with an unexpected downpour. Thumbs Up

Glad you got it home safely - looks a nice bike. Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's your first big bike and one you've chosen i always felt there was something special about riding it home yourself. Happy for every bike after that one to get delivered but the first one should be ridden.

Once you're mentally and physically over that hurdle it makes taking it out again a lot easier.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the Alfa too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:11 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
something special about riding it home yourself.

Totally agreed. Even if you've bought a bike which you know you'll not be keeping long term, you always seem to remember the first trip home on it.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my first big bike the one mile ride home took five hours, I took a slight detour, and then another detour, and another...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Totally agreed. Even if you've bought a bike which you know you'll not be keeping long term, you always seem to remember the first trip home on it.

Oh yeah. I remember the ride home on my first big bike only too well: I was riding home on a country road with a big grin on my face, and rounding a bend a large log lying in the middle of the road suddenly appeared from between the wheels of the car in front of me. I think I ended up hitting it - not entirely sure now - but whatever, I ended up just on the wrong side of the centre line and an oncoming car had to swerve to just avoid hitting me. Major brown trousers moment, anyway.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are you getting on with it now Keithy?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:26 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
So how are you getting on with it now Keithy?

Good ta! I had a day off just before lockdown and went back to Worcester so I could come via the Worcs to Leominster route. Lots to learn and few opportunities to get out so another half day on the cards when it’s not too wet. The road from Ellesmere to Whitchurch looks worth a pot!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - glad to hear you've settled into it Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
The road from Ellesmere to Whitchurch looks worth a pot!

It's not bad for a potter around.

If you want to have a more varied ride without needing to commit to superhero antics or trying to be Rossi, give us a yell, I seem to be fairly local-ish to you.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

Hmm? Nice bike Thumbs Up congratulations!

Now I’ve got a bone to pick with you Evil or Very Mad !
You have an Alpha Romeo there in the background.
Italian Sports (ish) cars are only ever allowed to be fire-engine RED!

Go to the back of the class and think about what you have done young man, then get your car resprayed!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the day i went from an MZ250 to a CBX750f, just at the happier side of a 2 day hangover too. Laughing

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Keithy wrote:
The road from Ellesmere to Whitchurch looks worth a pot!

It's not bad for a potter around.

If you want to have a more varied ride without needing to commit to superhero antics or trying to be Rossi, give us a yell, I seem to be fairly local-ish to you.

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I’m a little further South in Shrewsbury.

pepperami wrote:
Keithy wrote:

Hmm? Nice bike Thumbs Up congratulations!

Now I’ve got a bone to pick with you Evil or Very Mad !
You have an Alpha Romeo there in the background.
Italian Sports (ish) cars are only ever allowed to be fire-engine RED!

Go to the back of the class and think about what you have done young man, then get your car resprayed!

Honest guv, I had a 145 in Alfa pink!

The Spider is Brunello red, it’s named after a wine, so takes after it’s driver, heavy drinker, a bit soft around the edges and nowhere near as quick as you would hope for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1