Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike for a new rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Willmartin89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:19 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Bike for a new rider Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I’m looking into getting my bike license. And am looking for advise from real riders, rather than a salesman trying to hit targets. I’m 31 years old and have no ridding experience except a moped at 16. Currently I’m thinking of a KTM Duke 390, or a benelli 502c as a first bike. I know fairly different styles. I’m after Any info or experience with either of these bikes, or any other good suggestions for nice starter bike.

Thanks 👍

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to give us a bit more info to go on than that, e.g. intended use, what you want to get out of biking etc. etc.; assuming you're going for your full A licence, the world is your lobster and you'll find just as many opinions on here.

First things first though, I'd suggest you focus on getting your licence - once you're well on the way with that you can start thinking more seriously about what bike you want. Thumbs Up

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big tip do your CBT and test FIRST see what bikes the training school use and how you like them
Find LOCAL shops / dealers see what they sell service and repair !
KTM and benlli make sure you have a repaired near you need them !
To start nothing too flash not new you will drop it !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Willmartin89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:28 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main reason for getting a bike is for a weekend/evening toy. I won’t really be using for commuting, as I work in London regularly and use public transport. And the commute is mainly motorway miles. I’ll be using the bike on the B roads.

I’ve got my CBT booked for 21st December and hopefully completing my full A license early next year. 🤞

Because I’ve got no previous bike experience for a first bike I’m looking a bikes in and around the A2 category to fully learn how to ride before stepping up to higher powered machines.

I understand the point of buying 2nd hand, but from looking at current selling prices, there isn’t a massive price difference between a bike that’s 3 years old to brand new, plus there’s the advantage of a warranty with a new bike. I have both dealers within around 15 miles from me and am going to go in for a chat with the dealership as soon as the government allow it. Plus it will be nice to see both bikes in the flesh.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances are irrespective of whatever advice you get on here and even your best attempts at judging what you want, within 12 months of getting your A licence you'll probably start to work out what you really want.

Buying a 3 year or younger bike you'll be losing a chunk of cash if you buy/sell, assuming you don't drop it (it's not a given but you're far more likely to do this at the beginning of your motorcycling career).

I'd look at a fairly cheap, circa 10 year old bike. No more than £3k; it'll be cheaper to insure too. 500cc/650cc twins or thereabouts will be enough to get to know the bike on and bikes of that size are manageable with weight. Something like an ER6. Don't get too worried about power; unless you're going for something very sporty, generally they're manageable if you have some sort of throttle discipline. If you don't have the latter, you probably should question getting on a motorcycle at all as even a 500 will get you into hot water quickly if you're reckless.

But but but; CBT / licence first. The bike(s) you learn on will give you an insight. Then take it from there. Plenty of good advice on here about your tests too, so worth sticking around. Thumbs Up

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Bike for a new rider Reply with quote

Willmartin89 wrote:
Currently I’m thinking of a KTM Duke 390, or a benelli 502c as a first bike

I'd try to steer you in the direction of a Japanese bike for reliability, ease of maintenance/repairs, availability and cost of spare parts etc. but if you got a a particular itch, itch it! Especially if you're talking about a weekend toy no big deal if it breaks and has to sit around for weeks while you find someone capable of repairing, and sourcing parts and saving up for the repair bill.

Willmartin89 wrote:
Because I’ve got no previous bike experience for a first bike I’m looking a bikes in and around the A2 category to fully learn how to ride before stepping up to higher powered machines.

Don't be put off by higher powered machines for a first bike, you're 31 so should be fairly sensible. To echo what I recently wrote in another post I started off on a FZS600 just shy of 100bhp (A2 is max 47bhp) and did not find the power intimidating in the slightest. I promise a more powerful bike will not try to kill you as soon as you pull away. Just be mindful of the potential power on tap and ride within your ability and you'll be fine. Ignore that advice and you can easily get into trouble even on an A2 bike.

With that in mind, budget dependant, an ER-6 would be a good shout but my personal recommendation would be an FZ6 as a perfect starter bike but many would disagree or offer better (in their opinion) options. Don't spend loads on your first bike, just buy something cheap while you build up your experience in case you drop it, even if it's with a view to sell it and get something better within 6-12 months you're not going to lose a lot on resale value within that timeframe. Might be an idea to buy something cheap now and snag a deal and then look to sell it in spring when demand is higher.

Please don't buy a brand new bike for your first bike it'll be a waste of money. Treat yourself 6-12 months in if you must.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as ThunderGuts said you won't really know what you want out of a bike until you've been riding for a few months anyway. This is true for most riders. They have an idea in their head what their desired bike is but when they actually start riding their perspective changes. i.e. someone might think a GSXR600 is the bike for them even after a test ride but living with one for a while they might decide the riding position is too hunched over and cramped or that it's not practical enough with no luggage capacity... or someone might be dead set on a bulkier sports tourer or proper tourer even after a test ride but after living with it find it's too heavy and bulky and decide they should have gone for a naked bike. Buy something CHEAP, live with it for 6 months and you'll be better placed to really know what type of bike you want/need.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:01 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that, both Thunderguts and Tuberculosis mentioned the same bike, and here I am, 2 months after getting my A licence on exactly the bike they have recommended, a ‘64 plate ER6-F for £3.5k with some crash bungs on the sides.

Just like you, pre CBT etc. I hunted through the bike section of AutoTrader and decided, at that point in time, I needed the KTM390 or the RE Himalayan, at a push an F650.

I got my licence on an F750GS and whilst it had become, at the time, my ‘dream’ bike, it was evident that I wasn’t really up to the job, especially a newish £10k one, as I dropped it more than once.

Having got the ER6 I don’t think I could go down to something in the 400 range, despite not being totally in control of my 650!

My point? As advised previously, concentrate on your tests, see what you think of whatever bike you have from the bike school and see how you get on.

Best of luck.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
both Thunderguts and Tuberculosis mentioned the same bike

ThunderGuts and Tuberculosis are the same person and I claim my five pounds.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:06 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Keithy wrote:
both Thunderguts and Tuberculosis mentioned the same bike

ThunderGuts and Tuberculosis are the same person and I claim my five pounds.

Have you ever seen them together in the same room? Confused

Willmartin89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, it’s good hear from people who’ve got the experience. I’ll take the advise on board when choosing my bike. I think I’m definitely going to go down the naked bike route though, I’ll stick to Japanese and buy 2nd hand to start with. I’ll keep you guys updated and hopefully I’ll be on my bike my spring 🤞

Willmartin89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Bike for a new rider Reply with quote

Don't be put off by higher powered machines for a first bike, you're 31 so should be fairly sensible.

Should being the key word!!😂😂

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I've got more of a lead boot than anyone else I know and was dubbed the nickname of 'Schumacher' in my early days of cab driving by my colleagues (I thought it was cool at the time but now I try to distance myself from that label used by my colleagues who know me from the old days and still call me it occasionally). Used to drive like a bit of a knob if I'm honest, I started cab driving at 21 but have matured a bit now especially with customers onboard but still drive a bit enthusiastically when empty. Anyway with that in mind I'm still here after two seasons on two wheels. Somehow being on two wheels makes the dangers and risk perception very much more real than being in a cage, unless you're a complete idiot you will sense and perceive the danger and restrain yourself. As someone else on here said just a little bit of throttle restraint and caution is all you need and you'll be fine. A 21/24 year old? Not so sure, probably still ok but I'm glad I didn't get into biking when I was 16 and work my way up to a litre bike by the age of 21 as I'm sure I wouldn't be here now. But 30s+ I like to think you're plenty mature enough to jump on a litre bike straight off and be sensible enough not to exceed your own limitations. You're probably more at risk of sliding on mud/gravel/oil on the road through poor observation because of your inexperience and low-siding it that than coming off from excessive speed or throttle input, and that can happen on any bike even a 125 especially this time of year and on rural backroads there's danger lurking round every corner so you need to exercise some caution.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1