Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What grinds my gears *ARCHIVE*

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastard Aldi, went to B&Q to get a new heat gun after the one I put away in working order 15 years ago didn't bastard work when I got it out. Popped into Aldi on my way home and the bastards had a heat gun at a third of the price of the B&Q I'd just bought.

In other news, I've been pestered by my utility supplier to get a Smart meter, I've also been pestered by them to sign up for an app to send my readings off with loads of cookies to go with them. They can just send a bloke round like they used to before Covid 19 became the excuse for sacking the bloke.

Bastards the lot of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:36 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ah, smart meters. Laughing

Without smart meters in place, the smart grid can't happen and without that the grid won't support masses of electric vehicles being charged.

I've yet to have anyone tell me what's so "smart" about a smart meter? it substitutes a spinning disc for a remotely operated red or green light?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:41 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

In other news, I've been pestered by my utility supplier to get a Smart meter, I've also been pestered by them to sign up for an app to send my readings off with loads of cookies to go with them. They can just send a bloke round like they used to before Covid 19 became the excuse for sacking the bloke.

Bastards the lot of them.

Nobody other than me has read my electricity meter in the 11 years since I moved in so I don't see what their issue is.

They request a reading and send me an estimated bill every month with a reminder that I haven't registered my bank account details with them or booked my slot for a smart meter fitting. I send them a meter reading once a quarter and pay them a few days later by credit card, just like I always have.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/bJScjGnM/20201119-164231.jpg

Bastard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:09 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I've yet to have anyone tell me what's so "smart" about a smart meter? it substitutes a spinning disc for a remotely operated red or green light?

It does two things.
- It tells you how much gas and electricity you're using, in either their respective measurement units or cost/hour. The idea being that some people may use really energy-hungry things less (electric heaters and tumble dryers mostly) if they see how much they're using.
- It sends your usage back to the energy company using a 4G modem (gas meters have a low power bluetooth connection to the electricity meter). It polls between half hourly and daily depending on your usage. They can tell you your usage in detail, and the grid operators have detailed usage information to anticipate demand by area.

What it doesn't do, and where the advertising is always misleading, is tell you which devices are turned on and how much power they are using.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
What it doesn't do, and where the advertising is always misleading

As far as I'm concerned, what it doesn't do is 'save you money' - I've even seen claims that it will save you an average of £X/year if you install one. Outrageous. At best, all it will do in that regard is maybe give slightly dim people (ie, the sort that don't realise that a kettle costs more per minute to run than a light bulb) a bit of a clue what uses the most electricity in their home to enable them to take suitable action.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Without smart meters in place, the smart grid can't happen and without that the grid won't support masses of electric vehicles being charged.

More importantly to the suppliers, they can't impose "time of use tariffs" and line the pockets of their shareholders even more. Razz

Don't allow them to be fitted.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Ahh, a 'people of colour's pinch' that is.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow, that looks sore.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Plus, according to an expert presentation given at work, we would have to cover 25% of our Island's land area with Wind Turbines to fund the extra demand when people get home at 6pm and plug their cars in.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
[

More importantly to the suppliers, they can't impose "time of use tariffs" and line the pockets of their shareholders even more. Razz

Don't allow them to be fitted.

Interesting thought.. I'm not having one because I don't see any benefit to me. Plus why are they being so insistent? Too good to be true etc.. so I'll stick with my thicko meter

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:33 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

It does two things.
- It tells you how much gas and electricity you're using, in either their respective measurement units or cost/hour. The idea being that some people may use really energy-hungry things less (electric heaters and tumble dryers mostly) if they see how much they're using.
- It sends your usage back to the energy company using a 4G modem (gas meters have a low power bluetooth connection to the electricity meter). It polls between half hourly and daily depending on your usage. They can tell you your usage in detail, and the grid operators have detailed usage information to anticipate demand by area.

What it doesn't do, and where the advertising is always misleading, is tell you which devices are turned on and how much power they are using.

The first of these things could be done with a simple clamp-on useage meter.

The second I'm pretty sure they can do already. I'd be amazed if there isn't some sort of meter in every local sub-station,.

Neither of these things is "smart". They are everyday, mundane and do not require me to fit a 2-way datalogger in my house.

The two things a "smart meter" can do that a normal one can't are a) Allow power companies to alter your billing rate dynamically. and b) Cut off your power supply remotely. Although happily, the latter not in a way that can't be easily bypassed using a moderately strong magnet to trip the relay. (they have a hall-effect sensor to tell them you've done it but it doesn't prevent you from doing it)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's a lot going on!" as they say Sad

Last night one of the local drug dealers law abiding teenagers clattered into the back of my car on one of them new fangled electro-scooter-me-bobs. The police did give chase but no idea if they caught up with the miscreant little cherub.

This morning I went out to survey the damage and discovered a not insignificant amount of blood. SoCO get enthusiastic about such things and actually came round to take photos and swab the area. From the marks on my bumper I guess he hit at considerable speed and went head first through the rear window Shocked

Now, what to cover the hole with till Autoglass pull their finger out?

"I've never liked that shower curtain..." says the wife.

Perfect!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

This morning I went out to survey the damage and discovered a not insignificant amount of blood.

Silver lining. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

This morning I went out to survey the damage and discovered a not insignificant amount of blood.

Silver lining. Thumbs Up

Yes, I was wondering whether to post this in the "oiled my gears" thread. Something along the lines of "would you pay £75* to have a toe-rag's face smashed in?" but poor taste and all that.

*Coincidentally the same amount Autoglass charge

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Silver lining. Thumbs Up
My brother had his bike pinched in the late 80s, he could only afford third party cover at the time so he was a bit miffed. Some sort of 600 Kawasaki I think.

It was found wrapped around a lamp post with a fair amount of blood at the scene. He said that last bit was the only bit of news that cheered him up.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
"There's a lot going on!" as they say Sad

Last night one of the local drug dealers law abiding teenagers clattered into the back of my car on one of them new fangled electro-scooter-me-bobs. The police did give chase but no idea if they caught up with the miscreant little cherub.

This morning I went out to survey the damage and discovered a not insignificant amount of blood. SoCO get enthusiastic about such things and actually came round to take photos and swab the area. From the marks on my bumper I guess he hit at considerable speed and went head first through the rear window Shocked

Now, what to cover the hole with till Autoglass pull their finger out?

"I've never liked that shower curtain..." says the wife.

Perfect!

I'd be awaiting a law suit along the lines of 'Your car came out of nowhere and smashed into my little angle's face'

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

My brother had his bike pinched in the late 80s, he could only afford third party cover at the time so he was a bit miffed. Some sort of 600 Kawasaki I think.
My brother had his bike pinched in the late 80s, he could only afford third party cover at the time so he was a bit miffed. Some sort of 600 Kawasaki I think.[/quote]

GPX600R? It's totally awesome just because of that jet fighter cockpit look from the rider's pov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1vd0DEE9w

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat shit! Sloppy fucker too.. Trod in some on my way to the wheely bin then it got inside carpet etc... Bastard neighnbout cats as I don't have one. Gravel drive' but 20mm (not pea)so didn't think it would be a problem.

I heard orange peel* as a deterrent - anything else?

* peeling the orange might have the extra benefit of shifting the shit from under my finger nails.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:24 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male (human) piss is supposed to deter them but it makes the garden smell like the back of trees in laybys

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZebraDriver wrote:
Male (human) piss is supposed to deter them but it makes the garden smell like the back of trees in laybys

Might try that. get up most nights at 4am for a piss. Could be the best time to spray the front drive and avoid unwanted attention.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Air rifle.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:

Air rifle.

What are you trying to do ? Maim someone else’s cat/kill someone else’s cat?
Give people who own an air rifle a bad name ?

Why not just throw a bucket of water over it/use a super soaker?

If you shot my cat and I found out it was you , you’d be drinking your Christmas dinner through a straw Twisted Evil

You may not like cats and that’s understandable, not everybody is a cat person.
But why do you need to be such a C*nt to someone else’s pet!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
A100man wrote:

Air rifle.

Unloaded of course.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

What are you trying to do ? Maim someone else’s cat/kill someone else’s cat?
Give people who own an air rifle a bad name ?

Why not just throw a bucket of water over it/use a super soaker?

If you shot my cat and I found out it was you , you’d be drinking your Christmas dinner through a straw Twisted Evil

You may not like cats and that’s understandable, not everybody is a cat person.
But why do you need to be such a C*nt to someone else’s pet!

WOW someone's triggered.

I personally would shoot near the ground to scare it off, no one mentioned going all Rambo on it. I love cats, got a new kitten myself.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 696, 697, 698  Next
Page 642 of 698