BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone holder

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Phone holder Reply with quote

I've been struggling along with an Aldi bicycle 'phone holder for about a year now; it worked fine with my old (much lighter) 'phone (albeit with some modifications), but it struggles with my current one. I use it for sat-nav so it's definitely something I want to have on the bike.

Can anyone recommend a decent 'phone holder (for an iPhone 12)? I am quite tempted by the ultimateaddons one although seems to be out of stock everywhere. I'm definitely NOT keen on the "naked" solutions where the 'phone isn't inside a waterproof case. I know the 'phone is IPwhatever so will theoretically deal with the weather, but it's not just water it's other crud too.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike? Faired bikes I've never found anything great. Been using one of these on the Enfield though and after drilling and bolting the case to the arm it does a good job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-Bicycle-Rear-View-Mirror-Stand-Mount-Waterproof-Scooter-Motorbike-Phone-Bags/153922296677?hash=item23d67bdb65:g:xnYAAOSwAVhe6Xnc

Looks like this on the bike
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50637131671_dde67ede42_b.jpg

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossrunner. Mmm that's similar to the one I had; it's quite bulky though. The bar risers on the CR mean there's a nice blank section of handlebar in the centre to mount a holder onto, just need a decent one that doesn't flop around (and is adjustable for angle).

What did you find the issue was with a faired bike?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
What did you find the issue was with a faired bike?

Lack of space. Probably less of an issue on your Crossrunner but on my GSXR if you put it anywhere on the clipons it either fouls something in the fairing or blocks the clocks. If I try to be creative and mount it on the fairing/screen area again either blocks the clocks or fouls the brake m/c.

Not much space that's the riders view
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50637360852_1cc3f9c40c_h.jpg

If it's purely SatNag you want Arry has one of those Beeline SatNav things and his posts here indicate it's good https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/beeline-motorcycle-sat-nav-black.html

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got quite a bit of space compared with that! I'm keen to utilise the 'phone; it'll be with me anyway, it's connected to my intercom and on mind-numbing motorway sections I play music through it so I'd prefer to have it connected still. I've been using Calimoto which is pretty decent it seems, although a recent foray into Cheshire saw it pick some absolutely appalling lanes on this occasion!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't getting a bit lost part of the fun? Unless you're biking for business that is.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Isn't getting a bit lost part of the fun? Unless you're biking for business that is.

Within reason, but I tend to go out to visit a location (or multiple locations). I find apps like Calimoto take me down random roads to that destination so I still get there but via some other places. I do occasionally just go for a wander though. Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Isn't getting a bit lost part of the fun?

Outbound yes, inbound I like to know if needed I can look at a screen and get home.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1" ball/RAM mount, fitted to the stem. Plenty of case choices for anything even remotely popular then.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small tank bag with a clear window to put the phone in?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
1" ball/RAM mount, fitted to the stem.

I think on the OP's crossrunner the risers and bars mean the stem is far away and covered over.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 23 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadlock, it's not cheap but works well

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:42 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
1" ball/RAM mount, fitted to the stem.

I think on the OP's crossrunner the risers and bars mean the stem is far away and covered over.

You can get all kinds of extensions and adaptors to move it wherever you want. Chap in work has one on his 12 plate Crossrunner. I think his is an Ultimate addon's stem mount and generic 1" ball mount extensions.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I did look at the quad lock; I like the concept and there's a black friday event at the moment which brings the price down a bit, but I'm still a bit uncertain about how well protected the 'phone is from the elements, even with the "poncho" on. Question

baritone
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a few, including the RAM X-Mount. It did the job well enough, although you have to be careful the rubber grips don't mess with the buttons on the side of the phone.

However, I don't use mounts at all any more. The vibrations have shagged the focusing on two of my phones now so I'm not going to do that again. Use a dedicated GPS (or an old phone with a broken camera) on a mount, and keep your phone in your pocket.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

baritone wrote:
I've used a few, including the RAM X-Mount. It did the job well enough, although you have to be careful the rubber grips don't mess with the buttons on the side of the phone.

However, I don't use mounts at all any more. The vibrations have shagged the focusing on two of my phones now so I'm not going to do that again. Use a dedicated GPS (or an old phone with a broken camera) on a mount, and keep your phone in your pocket.

After an awful lot of digging around I've arrived at a similar conclusion. The UA case is out of stock with no idea of when they'll be back in, quad-lock are in stock but the case/poncho isn't waterproof and by the time all the other stuff is added in it's over a hundred quid. Most solutions require the phone to come out of the normal case; again faff as I like to have my phone in a folio case for day-to-day to protect the screen from keys/drops etc. (I know screen protectors help, but they're not infallible). I have a nice phone so don't want it knackered; my main reason for avoiding a dedicated satnav is the lack of ability to play music etc through it but it seems tech has moved forwards and it's possible these days. Sportsbikeshop have a TomTom on 25% off, plus I also had a voucher from my insurer, so ordered one of those instead. The bike already has the wiring for the TomTom because they came with TomToms from the dealer (although the previous owner obviously took theirs with them, although left the power supply behind) so that's one less thing to deal with too.

Appreciate all the input everyone. Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:

This^ Thumbs Up
bikefun98 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 27 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
F1.ash wrote:

This^ Thumbs Up

Didn't work for me, aside from not being able to control the screen, I had to look down, which takes your eyes and peripheral vision right out when wearing a full face lid.

I ended up getting one of these and cable tied it to the top yoke.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285768277

I can use the buttons, screen etc and don't have to take it out of the folding case, I just fold the case underneath.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I find apps like Calimoto

Could have sworn you wrote cameltoe there, I had to go back and re-read it several times before it made any sense Brick Wall

I done a lot of research and soul-searching before deciding on which system to go with and I can say categorically the best quality solution out there is Rokform. Hands down, no question.

Quadlock comes in a close second place.

What system meets your needs the most though? You'll have to decide but I can highly recommend Rokform.

You get the phone-specific phone cases with Rokform which I just keep on all the time. The mount on the bike itself is very sturdy and good build quality, the case for the phone itself is also very robust and sturdy. Technically the phone is not going to be TOTALLY protected from the elements but like you said you have a waterproof phone and with the bike you're talking about it has enough protection from the elements that you're really only going to get drops of water on the screen when stationary (if it's raining). I've been using my Rokform solution with my S9+ for years through multiple bikes and never had a problem with the phone getting damaged through water or dust/debris.

Check these two videos out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIKeUtm9DBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLETOvasfs

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 18:42 - 28 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
I can say categorically the best quality solution out there is Rokform. Hands down, no question.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50657514861_5991e3864d_o.png

Or in real money £120...... fuck that.

Tuberculosis wrote:
never had a problem with the phone getting damaged through water or dust/debris.

I can claim that and have spent a tenner, bloke putting it in a ziplock bag and taping it to the top yoke can also claim that. Need more reason than that to spend £120 on a phone holder.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:40 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always used the Givi phone holders, they make specific phone ones and universal small/med/large phone ones. A bit dearer than the generic ebay cheapies but Ive got more faith in a givi one not falling off when you hit a bump and spaffing a several hundred quid phone down the road. Plus it has a little anti glare sun hood which actually does a semi decent job as long as the sun isnt right behind you.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the cheap ones fail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2G3FamLAuQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdVw9GfKrc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksXzGT1yvI0
Obviously none of them using the backup rubber band.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8CZgYAmo8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYQzFo-BIMU
Vibrations damaging the case.

With the one I use, the vibrations are dampened. I also have a fully faired bike so it's not like the phone is getting blasted by air pressure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1