Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Postie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Postie Reply with quote

My normal work goes quiet over the winter and with the COVID effect this year it will be quieter still, so I have applied for a temporary job as a driver postie. I just had a telephone interview which I passed, and I will be starting next month subject to all the usual checks. From what the woman was saying it will involve turning up at the depot, sorting some stuff then heading out in one of their vans and either posting or delivering it depending upon the size of the item. £11 per hour doesn't seem too bad for that.

Anybody done this and can offer useful, practical advice?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip

Most houses have a rectangular hole somewhere in or near the front door. If the letter/packet/parcel is too big to fit through it, bend it in half and then half again, using your foot if necessary to squash it down.

If it still won't fit through the hole, throw it into a nearby hedge and leave a card saying you dropped it off with a neighbour.

Enjoy the outrage when the customer accuses the neighbour of theft, culminating in a bare-knuckle fight on the front path as you whistle merrily on your way to crush more packages.

HTH Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done it but buy good shoes and socks and keep dog biscuits in your pocket.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Haven't done it but buy good shoes and socks and keep dog biscuits in your pocket.

The only worse advice I can think of is stick them down your pants.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber bands from the letter bundles can be placed around your shoe to provide traction on icy footpaths/roads.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from all as anticipated. Thank you.

I am tempted to wear a belt with a loop for a lump-hammer. I shall use it for dispatching unruly dogs, plus to 'model' parcels so they fit through letterboxes. I fucking hate the public, so I expect arguments with fat women in worn dressing-gowns on the morning shift, and stick-thin druggies in grey on afters...

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the amount our postie has to carry. I hope you are well used to lugging heavy stuff around for several hours a day.
Our local depot is so short of staff at the moment, they have cut down picking up undelivered stuff to 1 hour a day & not at weekends.

The one I see has gone from a happy chappy who would always say Hello and pass the time of day, to a real grumpy sod who dumps stuff and runs.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I fucking hate the public, so I expect arguments with fat women in worn dressing-gowns on the morning shift,

"Come on Postie, empty yer sack into me box."

(© The Fat Slags - Viz.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I fucking hate the public

Ah, so I was right...you would like to see a permanent lockdown. Not so liberal as you sometimes like to make out, are you? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget to wash your knob, for all those housewives who will be gagging for it.

seen it happen lots in films Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't work too hard or you'll have the union after you. Tut Tut
I did some agency work at the Parcel Force depot in Canning town when I was about 20. The full timers were very
hostile towards us temps as we were "nicking their overtime" to the point where they wouldn't allow us to sit in the
canteen with them on our breaks. I ate my sandwiches out in the car park sat in my car to avoid all the arsey comments.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:37 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I fucking hate the public, so I expect arguments with fat women in worn dressing-gowns on the morning shift,

"Come on Postie, empty yer sack into me box."

(© The Fat Slags - Viz.)

https://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/170-36-postmanplod.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Postie Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Anybody done this and can offer useful, practical advice?

don't take any shortcuts, do it by the book, (this will probably piss off some of your colleagues in ways not dismilar to what grr666 said

but.... your van gets nicked, your parcles get robbed, someone claims an items missing when it isn't, and you didn't do things the way you are supposed to, they'll hang you out to dry.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one thing to remember...

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you run around in the post van like it's the bus from 'Speed'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour is a postie and recons he walks a minimum of 10 miles a day

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:
My neighbour is a postie and recons he walks a minimum of 10 miles a day

So approx two and a half hours walking at a decent pace. Whistle

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Good advice from all as anticipated. Thank you.

I am tempted to wear a belt with a loop for a lump-hammer. I shall use it for dispatching unruly dogs, plus to 'model' parcels so they fit through letterboxes. I fucking hate the public, so I expect arguments with fat women in worn dressing-gowns on the morning shift, and stick-thin druggies in grey on afters...

you might find that a can of wd40 and a disposable lighter is easier to carry and much more effective on aggressive dogs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1