Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

converted e bike tyre suggestions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

I've converted my old Zaskar GT to e bike with a Bafang mid drive motor. done 300 miles on it this month and the 6 year old oem Maxxis tyres are getting worn and cracking. It's 99.5% on road use so was wondering about getting more hybrid or ebike specific tyres for 26" wheels. Any good suggestions people?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to place for tyres:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

Something like Energizer Plus

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, Schwalbe make the most robust normal bicycle tyres you can buy (marathons) so I'd imagine their e-bike specific version will be practically indestructable.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The energizer ones are specifically "E-rated" for higher speeds. What that tangibly means versus "standard" tyres who can say Smile

Personally I also like the "Big Ben Plus" (also E-rated) but only useful if you have wider rims.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Std tyres are 2.1" so doubt wider the Big Ben plus would fit but Energizer and marathons look to fit the bill perfectly if I can find them in the right size Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:25 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get them in 2.0 width.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large/schwalbe-marathon-plus-hs440-tyre-with-reflex-26-x-200-inch-50559/
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon

Oh and these ones are quite fun! https://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader/marathon-winter-plus

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the bottom of this page:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

A chart to give you a rough idea of what tyres you can get away with on various rim widths.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

I tried to find out what rims a six year old Zaskar had from new...

bladerunner wrote:
my old Zaskar GT ... the 6 year old oem Maxxis tyres are getting worn and cracking ... 26" wheels

and I think that the Zaskar hasn't come with 26" wheels since 2012.

Anyway, the rims on a 2012 GT Zaskar Sport have an inner width of 19mm and that chart says the biggest tyres rims of that width could have are 1.73" ones however we know that's not right as it comes with 2.1" tyres when bought new. Laughing

It also says that the narrowest tyres he could fit are 1.10" tyres which sounds completely and utterly wrong to me. Shocked

Confused

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

bladerunner wrote:
my old Zaskar GT ... the 6 year old oem Maxxis tyres are getting worn and cracking ... 26" wheels

Anyway, the rims on a 2012 GT Zaskar Sport have an inner width of 19mm and that chart says the biggest tyres rims of that width could have are 1.73" ones however we know that's not right as it comes with 2.1" tyres when bought new. Laughing

It also says that the narrowest tyres he could fit are 1.10" tyres which sounds completely and utterly wrong to me. Shocked

Confused

maybe it is 8 years old by now! I bought it from a guy at work...and I left that job 6.5 years ago now!! I'm not up with push bike sizes but the current maxxis tyre show a 52mmx52mm width and profile and 2.1x26 size!!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

bladerunner wrote:

Confused

Blasphemy! This is Sheldon Brown we're talking about. You must be reading the chart wrong Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

19mm here listed as optimal for up to 52mm and compatible for 62mm: https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart

I recently had to sort a new rim for my ebike and ended up with a 19mm to go with a 42mm 700c I think - was a road biased Continental, That's for a TSDZ2 with custom firmware; BBS02 rather than BBSHD kinda thing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:31 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: converted e bike tyre suggestions Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ste wrote:
that chart says the biggest tyres rims of that width could have are 1.73" ones

It also says that the narrowest tyres he could fit are 1.10" tyres

Blasphemy! This is Sheldon Brown we're talking about. You must be reading the chart wrong Wink

Nope.

I checked, double checked and then checked again.

Here's the chart: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

For a 19mm inner width rim it says the maximum tyre size is 44mm which is 1.73228 inches,

The narrowest tyre width for that rim size is 28mm which is 1.10236 inches.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

19mm seems a bit small for a mountain bike, let me have shuffle through my junk pile...

Yeah, most are 21mm rims for bog standard, halfords shite which you'd expect to have 47-559s (or 26" 1.75" in old money.) IIRC I was running 25mm rims for the Big Ben Plus tyres Thinking

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
19mm seems a bit small for a mountain bike, let me have shuffle through my junk pile...

Yeah, most are 21mm rims for bog standard, halfords shite which you'd expect to have 47-559s (or 26" 1.75" in old money.) IIRC I was running 25mm rims for the Big Ben Plus tyres Thinking

my factory fitted tyres are 2.1" Maxxis so I'm not sure what to go for as the marathon options look narrow size for size?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:25 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.75 or 2.0 width tyres will be fine.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed I went for the 26 x 2.0 marathon plus from SJS.....fitted them last weekend and wow the bike is ultra stealth now as zero noise from the tyres! so much so I bought a bell to warn walkers people I'm about. I didn't need to so much as the road noise from the original maxxis tyres was enough at speed! a friend of mine had a puncture in her e-bike last week and that was fitted with the original marathons. 1 thorn had caused a puncture but I dug out another 7 that had not penetrated the centre filler band so these things do work. the marathon plus centre filler is nearly double the thickness so I guess even more protection from punctures I hope Smile

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply as I'm liking the ride quality and wet grip so far and it saved me money from buying on the high street!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1