BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Round the World on a Fireblade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine she isn't monitoring this thread, but last video uploaded a week ago (Riding through the Himalayas!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwujwpW7p4 so she's still at it.

Maybe drop her a PM as most people get an email notification.

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:12 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Roxy, how did you cross to australia? That was the sticking point in my future plans (got inspired when i was there in a camper van anda bloke from Yorkshire camped next to me on his gs). I understand a lot of the boat crossings that were around 10 years ago have dropped off, did you find a passenger service or barter onto a cargo boat? How did you find it?
Great stuff!

I shipped my bike with MASKargo by airfreight from Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) to Perth in Australia.

You need to make sure that the bike and any luggage, everything is spotless clean (cleaner than it came from the factory!) otherwise it may cost you several hundred $$$ for disinfection in Australia. This applies to wherever you ship to in Australia.

I went to bike wash place and paid them to do this but I was there with them all day and made sure to check everything (under mudguards, EVERYWHERE) to make sure it's spotless clean.

I then had to ride 50km to drop my bike off at the airport - make sure you do that when it's dry!! In KL weather can change super quickly and I was lucky that it was dry but an hour later there was torrential downpour.

I dropped my bike off at the airport I think 2 days before flight. There was no need for a crate.

You can fly on the same flight as your bike but I found another slightly cheaper flight for myself which was only couple hours after my bike's flight.

Once in Perth I managed to get my bike out of customs the same day as I landed! Usually it takes couple days, but if your bike is not clean enough it may end up in quarantinne for 2 weeks (and cost you a lot). From other peoples reports I think Perth is probably the easiest. I heard about many bikes getting stuck in quarantinne in Darwin and some in Sydney too. So I would recommend shiping to Perth. (But that could also be just luck).

The cost of shipping depends on weight and dimensions of your bike but more on weight I think. If I remember correctly it cost me $1000 USD in KL and then another $200 AUD in Perth + the cost of flight for myself.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you two! have a lot more stones that a lot of us

Ultimate bragging rights riding a blade up the Himalaya's Laughing

MYTU
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow It s cool )

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just seen this. Brilliant.

Not the world, but after countless 3,000 mile trips around Europe year in year out, I quit my job and first road Morocco, then 6 months around South America. It was fantastic.

Like you I started on more sporty bikes. GPZ500, ZXR400, ZX9R, Aprilla Falco, but then moved on to 'adventure' bikes. Loved my KTM 950 Adventure.

How clean did your bike have to be entering Aus? any plans to do Tasmania?

p.s If you want any way points or tips for South America, let me know.

EDIT: looks like you already answered the Aus bit in another post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2