Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

how would you describe the character of a single?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:14 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Stinkwheel probably knows the figures better but I believe a stock pre-unit Indian Bullet claimed around 22BHP at crank. The 2008 onward unit engine claims 28BHP and the 535 version claims 29BHP.

They claim a lot (as do many other manufacturers) but an Indian bullet with a reasonable pipe, properly set up carb and free-flowing air filter will be making about 17bhp at the rear wheel.

Drivetrain losses should be fairly minimal. Duplex chain driven primary. In top gear it's a straight-run through the gearbox, 1:1.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to try and divert the original thread too much but given their "low expectations" engine (or "just keeps going" if you want more positivity) where/when do Bullets commonly fail?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
where/when do Bullets commonly fail?

Again Stinkwheel will answer better but issues I've had on my 535 GT.

Neutral lamp died.

Neutral sensor cable split open.

Most of the rubber lines cracked apart.

Reg/Rec died. Replaced this with a decent Jap MOSFET.

Battery - cable caught fire Laughing

Only one of those that put me on a recovery truck was the R/R, it killed the battery so the bike couldn't fuel.

So on "modern" ones basically dodgy electrics and crap rubber lines.

My 350 I've only done a couple hundred miles and it had just been rebuilt ground up with fancy parts so nothing to comment on that (yet).

*edit* all those problems I list are easily sorted for not much £

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not to try and divert the original thread too much but given their "low expectations" engine (or "just keeps going" if you want more positivity) where/when do Bullets commonly fail?

They're more a long list of annoyances, really. Because they're in such a low state of tune, it's sometimes hard to spot when things are slightly off that would normally give you a heads up.

For the older UCE (pre Euro 4) the mounting bracket for the reg/rec is a weak point. From Euro 4 onwards it's mounted on the rear of the nearside toolbox.

Pre UCE electric start models have a weak sprag clutch, many owners end up junking the electric start and sticking with kick.

The centre stand pivot can seize, so you end up with the whole unit moving, instead of it swivelling in its bush. Eventually it wears oval, so fails to keep the rear wheel off the ground. Simple fix with drilling it through and pinning it.

Each bike is a crap shoot - it can depend on what parts were available the day it was assembled, and then how cheap the previous owners were being when sourcing spares.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for an enthusiast not too bad, in the sense the engine doesn't randomly blow up or the gearbox shit itself. External, visual problems are just entertainment Smile

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So for an enthusiast not too bad, in the sense the engine doesn't randomly blow up or the gearbox shit itself. External, visual problems are just entertainment Smile

Sounds like you are pondering one Very Happy Do it before everyone thinks due to production ending they own a goldmine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Mine has done both. However you can usually still ride it until you can be bothered fixing things.

The one I couldn't fix was the snapped valve. I did ride my 350 for about a year with a loose exhaust valve seat.

I can only really talk about the pre-unit ones. Standard piston crowns like to collapse, they sometimes come off on the 500s, the 350s just start burning shitloads of oil. Reg recs are shite and usually take the stator out too. Less than £100 to fix.

Umm, clutches either slip or crab, or sometimes both. Gearbox is spectacularly agricultural. Only worse one I've ridden was on an Estonian home market ural.

They have a floating bush big end which tends to either be good or not. All the not ones should have died by now. Likewise the ones with dodgy oil pump drives.

My late 350 had a horrible breather catch can system that caused the engine to gum up with emulsion but I sacked that off.

A lot of them chronically wet-sump but it's not an issue if you remember to park them with the piston at or near TDC so the crankpin is above the drive shaft.

If you want a pre-unit one. Look out for the "sixty-5" it is electric start (a minus in my book) but they came with the MUCH better 5-speed gearbox and for some reason, don't seem to attract as high a price.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Sounds like you are pondering one Very Happy Do it before everyone thinks due to production ending they own a goldmine.

It's the sort of "small" bike that's on my radar. It's that or going full retard café racer with some 125 picked up from the salvage auctions Very Happy I'm not sure the other half would wear it though, between the DT going in storage and the new baby she's been remarkably chipper lately!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It's the sort of "small" bike that's on my radar. It's that or going full retard café racer with some 125 picked up from the salvage auctions

If you want a cafe style, Continental GT (535 single) like mine. Just had a look on eBay though and prices seem to have creeped. I got lucky on a 239 miler for 2.8k. Looks now like people want almost 3k for a (tidy) Cat N with 3k on the clocks. Looks and sounds the part but the clip ons are over the yoke and the pegs pretty neutral so very comfortable. Only negative on comfort is the stock solo seat but H's do a nice double with cowl to keep the solo look. You'll want to add a Power Commander (to any UCE Enfield) if ones not fitted already, stock fueling really suffers for emissions rules. They are sweet handling bikes, they really did make a very well balanced package.

I've got a mate with a UCE bullet, theoretically a bit slower than the CGT but real world you wouldn't notice. Comfort is great but the handling lacks for a tarmac toy (IMO). You can get them for a little over £2k or closer to 3k for a tidy one with some mods.

If you want pre-unit Stinkwheel is the man to ask for tips. I just paid 1.7k for my 350 that's been built as a Trials but looking at other asking prices I think I got lucky. Plenty of standard 500's come up within a couple hundred quid either side of 2k though. I can't imagine these are ever going to get any cheaper. IMO it's worth buying one just to experience, in the unlikely event you don't like you won't lose anything selling on. They have character that I can't quantify, I've named mine ffs I don't do soppy shit like that Laughing

All 3 options probably provide alot more riding enjoyment than sinking money in to lash up build on a written off 125.

If you want both project and Enfield though look here, they have a couple of Indian 500's for £1.3k need registering and a bit of fettling and if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole there's a 1960 British 350 incomplete lego kit there https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Bikes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

For the older UCE (pre Euro 4) the mounting bracket for the reg/rec is a weak point. From Euro 4 onwards it's mounted on the rear of the nearside toolbox.

I cable tied mine to the frame like a boss. No fecks given.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sticking to 4-stroke bikes here, as the 2-strokes are just different... I've ridden a few singles, from the C90 up to the XT660. Plus, my current project bike is a single cylinder bike. It doesn't work right now (it needs a new intake/carb holder) but it will work. The one bike out of all described in this thread that I'd like to own is Rhyno's XBR500. I would love to have that one. The Enfields... meh. A lot of trouble, it seems, and often owned by people who deserve better quality machines. There are also quite a few Japanese singles meant for the American market that I'd like to own. It's a lazy way to word it, but these bikes have "soul", or, at least, they feel like bikes. The negative: they seem to make promises they can't deliver. I do like to overtake and get a move-on. At least 15mph+, if you know what I mean, and none of them (including the 660 Yamaha) seemed suitable for that. Don't want to go on with flowery language, etc. However, I will always have an attachment to singles.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The one bike out of all described in this thread that I'd like to own is Rhyno's XBR500. I would love to have that one.

Rocking horse poop, but have you ever sen a Honda GB500? Same motor but as a "British style" factory special cafe racer.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:12 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

One of the most entertaining singles out there was the SZR660. A a 5-valve 660cc, twinport, liquid-cooled single with a dry sump 50-ish bop.

I’ve always wanted one a as a project but the prices have went a bit silly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193718222362

This is the cheapest on eBay and the pictures say it all.

I’m probably going to go the ktm690 route at some point.It’s not much more cash wise and it kicks out 70bhp. Some people tune them onwards from there up to 80/90bhp but I think you’re on a knife edge when it comes to the absolute limit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another oft-lauded single is the DRZ400... opinions?

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an MZ Scorpion 660 for a while a few years ago, it used an XT660 motor, that's the twin carb 5 valve (probably in a slightly milder state of tune than the SZR mentioned).

Excellent handling (think the frame was developed by lotus) power was about right for the road.

As some have mentioned lots of engine breaking and the power delivery seemed to knacker the cush drives, mine wore out and had started to oval the sprocket bolts, they needed regular tightening.

Also owned a NX400 Falcon, basically a heavier more road biased XR 400, I did not gel with that topped out at 70 on the roads and seemed very top heavy (too much of a lump for green Laning proper too, took it around TRF routes around Hartside).

General feeling is less performance than equivalent multi cylinders, narrower & lighter but simpler maintenance, which is somewhat offset by what I felt was increased wear on components (due to power delivery and I figure one big piston having to do more effort to meet expectation).

Had 4 or so 125 4 strokes and 2 100/125 2 stroke commuters, different kettle of fish to the bigger 4 strokes also ridden a Beta 300....that was just insanity! Loved it Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

F650GS had no power but a fair bit of torque at low revs It seemed like someone was banging a hammer beneath me. Would be great for commuting and a fair bit of fun until you hit 70.

I didn't mind a single but would be unlikely to get one again. Unless they do a 2.3-litre single, that would sound interesting.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:25 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzukis DR big was one of the meatier fuckers at 800cc. They used to destroy their chains (split the rollers in half) if you short-shifted them into 2nd and tried to lump along.

That is a pretty big piston. (105mm)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/8uiUGbOIiiEQJHE1YkGyfe_7cwmfTDiN4_L0UxFptIlJR-O5trfMVAnhWXQi9tc01d0WBp_CRdrIuUEVY3hGmq50TOp1VaHoTf6bI320akU3AA3kNm9YxIEmQDdnBX7uUK9oQTinrtGqO-I8BtY

Makes my 87mm Enfield one look like it's not trying hard enough.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dJOVMac1jIO5PSNfmHEGckoFlNB711b44eDN6Rh33oo8wF0NHLTp9klIJwoIuh8DQPzU0n2JehncSWigZy2G-_ktWJwDJaxbg043nScr_RkN1rPC7oyH-oeDiUARiJtRTurOHeHU7f88OpQbZBdQ9e=w1147-h861-no

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:55 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I was just about to mention the DR800 but you pipped me to the post.

Having never ridden a single other than 125s I'm intrigued/fascinated my them and the DR800 in particular. Had a casual look for any DR800s for sale a few months back but couldn't find any. Rocking horse shit it would seem...

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 22 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1982 XT500 for a few years, could be a sod to start, but was a very responsive engine, no real problems, but the Himalayan is better, electric start, I have improved slow running with a power plug and an iridium plug, plan to fit a DNA air filter and fit new front brake pads, OEM ones are not very good.

I had an RE 500 classic for a while, bit heavy, but lovely thump of a single, my BSA C15 (250cc) was a nice little bike, every journey was a technical challenge, I needed a tool kit the weight of a pillion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2