Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheapest DAS course

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:53 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Cheapest DAS course Reply with quote

Hi all, I know how to ride a bike well. I just need to do the tests now asap as soon as this lockdown is over. I have lots of experience in other countries on 600-1000cc.
I just need a fair school who can see I know what to do, only need a day's practice for mod 1, mod 2 everything and boom ready for the test, without overselling me 3 days, 4 days, 5 days and hundreds. Please can somebody help me?
Edit: I am in London

Last edited by Cookiemonster14 on 18:54 - 07 Jan 2021; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Cheapest DAS course Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
Please can somebody help me?

Not without your location, no.

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
only need a day's practice for mod 1

You'd probably get a couple of hours at most depending on the school (some use the actual DVSA test pad in pre booked slots to use on the weekends or out of hours) and others use large pieces of land or car parks with cones set out in the same way.

So, in summary, your "one day training" would be split between a ride.. some time on mod 1 maneuvers and then more riding on the road to finish the day off.

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
mod 2 everything and boom ready for the test

I mean you come across as overly confident, or perhaps you are genuinely able.

In either case if you go through a school you'll need to pay for as many lessons as they want you to. Their school, their bikes and their rules. You'll need to do at least one day as an assessment, and then they'll tell you how many more they want you to do before they let you use their bikes to take the tests.

~

Also I'm sure it depends on what license you have already from wherever it is you've lived before the U.K (unless you mean you've ridden bikes abroad rather than lived there).

If you do have a license you may need to convert it to a British one, and if you don't you may need to go through the entire process of applying for a license > cbt > theory > training > tests.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Cheapest DAS course Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I mean you come across as overly confident, or perhaps you are genuinely able.

Well, definitely big-headed, anyway Rolling Eyes
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4739928#4739928

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:53 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Cheapest DAS course Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Not without your location, no.

I'm in London. I found a guy in Coventry who was so reasonable, very chill, "yeah we'll do it in a day or two, no worries". Was gonna spend a few days there at a mate's
Then this very unfortunate Tier 4 stuff came along to London and it snapped my bike chain.
Any well priced places and relaxed like the above?
If there's anyone like that in London, I'd love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning are in Wembley. In all honesty though the one's who are the most confident in their abilities are often the ones who need the most training to get through the tests!

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:17 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Stop Instruction (https://1stopinstruction.com/) over in East London are very good. They can be flexible and provide 1-2-1 training as needed.

Did my CBT and DAS with them many years ago and my wife did some 1-2-1 sessions to retrain after 15 years off bikes. Overall, they very good, very professional and have a good record of getting people through tests. I passed everything first time with no prior motorcycling experience.

In our local East London Advanced Motorcyclists group, we see many riders who have also passed with 1 Stop Instruction and have similar glowing feedback.

Obviously, no training currently happening, but do look them up after this lockdown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you post when you have to book a re-test.

Razz

Just coz you 'think you know what to do' doesn't guarantee that you'll pass. 😉

The standards sometimes change and examiners look for specific skills and knowledge.

That's mostly what Direct Access trains you for.

Budget the other side of £400.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Cheapest DAS course Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
I have lots of experience in other countries on 600-1000cc.

As several of my yank friends found out, that doesn't mean you can pass the UK tests. One lad failed it three times, and at that point he had been riding almost 20 years in the States. Just because you can control a bike, doesn't mean you can pass a test. It probably does mean that when you pass the test, you need far less acclimitisation than most new riders.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you passed the theory test? Do you have a valid CBT? If not, budget another 150-200 quid. So you'd need a 3 day course and they start around 700.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently trained and passed, and I can tell you there's some stupid 'tricks' you need to know, and probably some bad habits you have to unlearn to pass.
For example on mod1, in a closed gated compound you have to check over both shoulders before you set off on each manoeuvre.
Mod2 has some little rituals you must do and things you mustn't.
So don't assume you'll pass just because you can ride... it's a bit of a game.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
I can tell you there's some stupid 'tricks' you need to know....For example on mod1, in a closed gated compound you have to check over both shoulders before you set off on each manoeuvre.

You treat your time on the test pad as if you were on a public highway, and what should you do before you pull away from a dead stop on a public highway: shoulder checks.

The Module one test exists in a gated compound because it was moved there, from what I understand, after safety concerns about performing parts, or all, of those maneuvers out on the road during the pre-dated all in one test (the module 1 included into what we know now as the module 2 on the road ride) therefore when you shoulder check on the Module 1 you're demonstrating that you're able to check its safe to pull away if you were out on the road performing those things alone.

Sure it gets a bit repetitive, but I would never call a shoulder check a "trick."

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:26 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I forgot the CBT and theory Sad You were right. It's really unfortunate these things expire.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Sure it gets a bit repetitive, but I would never call a shoulder check a "trick."

You are quite correct about pretending to treat it as public highway, but it's very easy to fail by missing a shoulder check on Mod1 while being a perfectly safe road rider who would always check shoulders.
In training you do get it drilled into you to keep checking cos your mind sees cones and forgets to pretend you're on a public highway.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't fail a mod 1 for missing a shoulder check. 5 yes. Missing out the 'lifesaver' on the U turn however is a fail. There is a difference.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test was moved off road because the monkeys who work for DSI got the legislation wrong.
There's a part of the test where the bike must be ridden at town speed limit 50KPH for europe where they use kilometres.
The dumb fucks at DSI translated 50KPH to MPH and go5 31.06MPH in town speed limit is 30MPH so the test had to be done off road.
The silly cunts didn't even question the rule.
The UK could have very simply did that part of The test at 30MPH. 🙄
And saved a lot of hand wringing.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I did both tests for das on my bike which I bought for this purpose and to keep riding it after. It can be it's own faff but it's the cheapest.

Got a friend whose insurance covers riding other bikes to ride me there. Take proof of insurance and make sure he doesn't wander off somewhere, they asked about both and also chatted with him.

If you feel that confident, then I'd say just go through some vids on mod 1 and practice the manoeuvres in a nearby car park or your road, worked for me, hardest was emergency stop srrsly, had a wee skid on rain.
For mod 2, common sense really, passed without flaws.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do my DAS as a block of 4/5 days doing the MOD 1 and MOD 2 in there as well. Is this even possible anymore? When I was trying to book my theory test in the second half of 2020 I had to go all the way to Workington as it was the closest test centre with a slot available. Literally every test centre in Scotland (including the islands) was booked up.

Can schools still get MOD 1 and MOD 2 booked to run close together?

I was going to use the same school I did my CBT at (Bikerite). Oh and I passed the theory.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Got a friend whose insurance covers riding other bikes to ride me there. Take proof of insurance and make sure he doesn't wander off somewhere, they asked about both and also chatted with him.

so which insurance underwriter extended cover for a bike over 125cc whilst the rider was using a provisional licence ?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_Angry_Scot, you can still do a course like you want, however with so few tests available (before lockdown closed everywhere) it was difficult! Tests and cbts are currently on hold.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:
so which insurance underwriter extended cover for a bike over 125cc whilst the rider was using a provisional licence ?

Presumably WB's mate has a full licence, and rode WB's bike to the test centre with WB on the back?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Presumably WB's mate has a full licence, and rode WB's bike to the test centre with WB on the back?

he still needs third party himself during the test .. irrespective of what cover his m8 has got.

so who extended cover for a bike over 125cc when the rider holds a provisional ?

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:13 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone please know the distances between the cones when doing the slalom figure of 8 for mod 1?
And the distance you have to make the U-Turn.

This is for the 2021 tests if anything has been updated.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 yellow slalom cones are 4.5 metres apart, as is the 1st blue one on from last yellow. 2nd blue cone is 6m from 1st blue (giving you a little more room for figure 8s.
The u turn space is 7.5metres (or 3 normal parking bays in most car parks).

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:32 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The 5 yellow slalom cones are 4.5 metres apart, as is the 1st blue one on from last yellow. 2nd blue cone is 6m from 1st blue (giving you a little more room for figure 8s.
The u turn space is 7.5metres (or 3 normal parking bays in most car parks).

Cheers. This and your previous posts give me the impression that you were an examiner in the past?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:10 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Ah good point, i read this as progressive access not direct, nevermind.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2