Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Safe overnight parking for motorbikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Safe overnight parking for motorbikes Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently found these guys

https://www.spokesafe.com/

because the hotel I was in for a bit wouldn't let me keep the bicycle inside and I didn't feel comfortable with it on the street.
They have places in Mayfair, Soho and Oxford Circus and are expanding.
I am wondering please does anyone know of something like this but for motorbikes?
A group of CCTV'd 24 hour walk in storage units for parking so you don't have to leave them on the street if you have a short stay in Inner London...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best equivalent is NCP Brewer street - I used it when I worked in central London - back then they had motorcycle parking and it was manned 24 hours.

Contact NCP to see if these details are still correct.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:54 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
Best equivalent is NCP Brewer street

Appreciate it- is it free for motorbikes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:08 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be, other NCPs in the area are. If not, Q-park in China town is certainly free for bikes.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:22 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Should be, other NCPs in the area are. If not, Q-park in China town is certainly free for bikes.

And you reckon it's super safe? 0 chance of any typical thief coming with an angle grinder being able to get away with it?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
Appreciate it- is it free for motorbikes?

No - It was about 5 quid a day when I was there a few years back - I think it's gone up since then - maybe 7 quid these days? But it was worth it for the piece of mind - knowing the bike wasn't parked out on the street and that there was an attendant in an office present right beside the motorcycle parking on the ground floor - which would discourage thieves - I never heard of a bike being nicked from there.

I parked there on and off for a few years and once kept my bike parked up there overnight for a week with no problems - but still fit a disc lock and/or chain to be on the safe side.

Check it out to see if these details are still up to date.

Q parks is free - but I've never used it so have no idea how safe it is regarding the presence of staff etc - but I do know of a guy who had a brand new BMW S!000RR lifted from the China town location a few years back.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:31 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:

And you reckon it's super safe? 0 chance of any typical thief coming with an angle grinder being able to get away with it?

There's always a risk of that happening. It has CCTV, although the cameras look ancient. If my bike gets nicked I have insurance.

Really, with the amount of organised crime in that area, a typical thief should be more worried about treading on someone else's toes. I wouldn't be surprised if particularly desirable bikes get lifted all the time.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Cookiemonster14 wrote:

There's always a risk of that happening. It has CCTV, although the cameras look ancient. If my bike gets nicked I have insurance.

Really, with the amount of organised crime in that area, a typical thief should be more worried about treading on someone else's toes. I wouldn't be surprised if particularly desirable bikes get lifted all the time.

Is the level of motorcycle theft from central London bays still high these days?

When I was there about a decade ago the level of theft was on the high side - with guys even turning up in broad daylight in very public places like Soho Square and attacking disc locks and chains with angle grinders etc - I think there was a thriving export market in stolen bikes at the time.

If you lost a particularly high value bike (like the BMW I mentioned) or were unfortunate enough to experience two or three thefts in close succession (which was not unheard of) you could potentially find yourself technically uninsurable due to the higher premiums.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1