Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wiring curiousity.. FZ750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Wiring curiousity.. FZ750 Reply with quote

Hi All

I'm trying to trace an electrical issue as pressing the start button on the FZ no longer turns the motor over.. It should short the relay input ( a blue/white wire) to gnd/earth completing the circuit and activating the relay. I've eliminated the relay by connecting the input to gnd directly. and the motor then spins

The switch/button appears to be Ok as on pressing it the OIL warning light comes on as it should.

The interesting bit is that the blue/white wire also appears to pass through a box of tricks called the ' Turn Signal Relay' which sure enough feed the indicators.
I can't for the life of me though, see why the starter signal should be needed for this 'relay'

My concern is that the starter signal is compromised as it passes through this part.

Any thoughts?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:09 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, you're opening a box full of cats there.

In the speedo is a switch that measures changes to speed. It's on the wiring diagram and I think its called a reed switch. This, combined with the madness that is the indicator relay, was meant to make the indicators self cancelling to an extent.

It didn't really work and its a known issue with fzs failing to start. Look for corrosion on the connector block.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a link for the correct workshop manual?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:20 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrosion on the relay, not the switch in the speedo.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Oh god, you're opening a box full of cats there.

In the speedo is a switch that measures changes to speed. It's on the wiring diagram and I think its called a reed switch. This, combined with the madness that is the indicator relay, was meant to make the indicators self cancelling to an extent.

It didn't really work and its a known issue with fzs failing to start. Look for corrosion on the connector block.

Aha yes I see 'Reed Switch' as the green/white wire input also to the Turn Relay..

But why the Blue/White starter signal?

Wiring diagram is from Clymer.. Not much else out there. I'll have another go at cleaning the connector contacts .

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:13 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the internal wiring of the relay but I do know that the ignition is routed though it and it can be a problem. Katy probably knows more about the issue than I do. It wasn't an issue on mine but it was on other peoples and was usualy associated with corrosion on the connector block for the relay.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:31 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit clichéd but it's not something like a sidestand, neutral or clutch switch? Looks like blue & white also goes into some clever* arrangement of diodes, if I'm looking at the right diagram...

*as in "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed switch? They're magnetically activated. Like a relay without the electromagnet part. Can be NO or NC like a relay. Sounds like a lot of fuckery.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Reed switch? They're magnetically activated. Like a relay without the electromagnet part. Can be NO or NC like a relay. Sounds like a lot of fuckery.

Yep, the idea is that the indicators self cancel after the bike has been driven a short distance. The reed switch is to identify the bike is moving.

Mine worked once or twice and this was usually when I didn't want it to self cancel.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking an actual "reed switch?" As dippy says you'd need a magnet to affect it. Or is it a mercury tilt switch? That would make more sense for self-cancelling. Anyhoo, sounds like the sort of twattery only a Harley rider would need Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Are we talking an actual "reed switch?" As dippy says you'd need a magnet to affect it. Or is it a mercury tilt switch? That would make more sense for self-cancelling. Anyhoo, sounds like the sort of twattery only a Harley rider would need Smile
its described as a Reed switch on the wiring diagram and its located in the (mechanical) speedo.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I know this is a bit clichéd but it's not something like a sidestand, neutral or clutch switch? Looks like blue & white also goes into some clever* arrangement of diodes, if I'm looking at the right diagram...

*as in "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

The diode allows the oil light to come on during the start phase presumably as a test of the oli warning bulb.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yep, the idea is that the indicators self cancel after the bike has been driven a short distance. The reed switch is to identify the bike is moving.

I'd have thought a mercury tilt switch (or modern non-mercury equivalent) would be more suited for that purpose myself... given what you say, it may have worked better if they've used an actual reed switch, it implies there's a magnet on some sort of balance/gyro... inside a relay housing... I'd be looking to bypass the lot.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:39 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reed switch is in the speedo. I have said this a couple of times now.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:50 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The Reed switch is in the speedo. I have said this a couple of times now.

Yeah, I just couldn't picture it, but had a google and I get it now. Still a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Wiring curiousity.. FZ750 Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

The interesting bit is that the blue/white wire also appears to pass through a box of tricks called the ' Turn Signal Relay' which sure enough feed the indicators.
I can't for the life of me though, see why the starter signal should be needed for this 'relay'

My concern is that the starter signal is compromised as it passes through this part.

Any thoughts?

I found an explanation for the 41R-71 'Turn Signal Relay'..
turns out its a 'game of two halves, Terry'

https://yamaha-virago.blogspot.com/2018/10/relays.html

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1