Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Peak district head-on crash - car driver jailed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Peak district head-on crash - car driver jailed Reply with quote

Ugh.... and even the press couldn't manage to find a way to blame the biker for this one. Car driver on the wrong side of the road got banged up on Friday for 16 months:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/police-release-video-horrifying-head-crash-which-broke-mans-back-and-destroyed-motorbike-impact-1744498

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of yay, because proper sentence, but sort of nay, because we've all been there and made a mistake when giving it some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Sort of yay, because proper sentence, but sort of nay, because we've all been there and made a mistake when giving it some.

Was kind of thinking the same thing actually.
Who here has never found themselves on the wrong side of a white line like this, thought 'shiiiiit!', but got away with it? The only difference here really is that someone happened to be coming the other way Crying or Very sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just it. 'But for the grace of God' in these situations.

Admittedly, on motorcycles we're not massively likely to injure people but we do push our luck too far on occasion and, BFTGOG, we get away with it more often than not. We know the risk and yet whilst we take some steps to mitigate it - we don't take all the steps we can to near eradicate it, do we?

I drive a 911. I drive it within reasonably tolerable limits but I could always drive a lot, LOT, slower. BFTGOG that the one time I do make a mistake I don't end up taking someone out.

Whilst the usual response is to get all heated as 'another brother down' - and of course it's an emotive subject - the truth is we're all just a half a second away from being in the same position and doing porridge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed that the guy had an 'air-bag suit' - which seems to have saved him from an even worse outcome than the one he experienced.

I'm so out of date and out of touch I didn't realise these things were even available - although I remember reading about inflatable safety kit when it was still in the development stage years ago.

For me getting some extra impact protection is deciding to wear my back protector that day.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that road well; much of it is essentially a wide lane rather than a "proper road", but bits have been improved significantly which probably lends to the unfamiliar with the road to build speed on the good bits to suddenly find yourself on what feels like a totally different road. Looks like the crash happened at the A57 end which is possibly the ropiest section. It's probably the right outcome; the fact the rider survived is almost immaterial to the offence, the guy was just going far too fast and it could easily have been a fatal (or even multiples if there were several motorcycles approaching the corner).

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver's name is Florian Pratt Laughing

Don't fancy his chances in prison with a name like that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1