Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike cut out today and now won't start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:45 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Bike cut out today and now won't start Reply with quote

Bike is a Honda CBR 125R 14 plate, had it for two months and its been perfect up until today, was riding to work this morning in light rain, all good, got to work pulled the clutch in and rolled up, the bike cut out, wouldn't start for love or money after it cut out so I left it a couple of hours, came back and it started first time on the button. Now it won't start again , managed to bump it and it ran for a minute then cut out, I was keeping revs on about 4k. It still won't start. It just cut with no sputtering or popping.

Any ideas what this could be?

I cant check potential issues right now and couldn't at work before I left because it was raining quite heavy, so the bikes stuck at work and I'm at home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain seems to be the common theme. Check your connections are secure, and unplug them, dry them, and plug them back in.

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check in the morning along with spark fuel and air but other than that I'm stumped
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:12 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water in the electrics or water in the fuel.

Most likely electrical problem is side stand switch. Assuming it's a carburated model, there is a drain screw on the bottom of the carb. Hold a cup under the drain, open the screw, look at what came out.

Was it running on reserve before it gave trouble?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now might be a good time to check your insurance policy documents to see if breakdown cover is included on the policy, or give them a call to find out what cover is included (and how far from home you need to be before the cover is activated, or up to what amount of miles they will recover you from and to for free). If you do have breakdown cover then it may be a good idea to save that number in your phone, and make sure you have good charge and credit on it at all times (I carry a cable and power-bank with me often for good measure).

If you don't have breakdown cover I believe AutoAuid or AA are recommended on here, but I've never used a company outside my policy (SOS Motorbike Recovery) which are decent. Worth noting that carrying a mask with you at all times is a good shout because, as I found out on my last call, some wont pick you up without one.

With that aside -- and the only reason I say that is because you aren't always going to be in a safe place (work) when something goes wrong, and could be anywhere in the country -- I'd say your issue sounds like a build up of moisture and condensation getting into the wrong place and causing intermittent starting issues.

Some of the things I'd look at would be:

Arrow condition of the spark plug when removed (just to see if there's any running issue)

Arrow replace the spark plug cap for an NGK one

Arrow put some Vaseline or such like on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion etc (I've never had an issue doing this, others may object)

Arrow clean and grease the clutch switch

Arrow sidestand switch (generally better disconnected if the bike will run with it unplugged)

Arrow could be a build up of moisture in the switchgear causing problems with the starter button

Just a brief list, and I'm sure plenty more helpful responses will follow. Thumbs Up

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely there's water getting under the spark plug cap. Take the cap off, dry it and dry the spark plug and spray the cap and plug with wd40.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side stand switch mebbe?

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the side stand switch was faulty it would only have problems when it was put in gear. It would start and run normally when the bike was in neutral. He is having issues when in neutral so not likely that it's a side stand problem.

It happened when it got rained on so most likely water has got into the electrics. Water around the spark plug cap is most likely. It could be water in the fuel but that is unlikely to show up after one rain shower. Usually it take a while for water to build up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a bike with a side stand switch but do recall
kicking one down on a bike* that was ticking over on the mainstand
and the engine stopping.

* memory is vague and it might have been a scoot

I have another dim memory of someone elses bike I had to get on
and kick the side stand switch up to start the fecker too

maybe I dreamed it

of course, I was very very drunk

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:43 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike has no side stand switch, or it just doesn't work if it does, and it wasn't in neutral when it cut out this morning it was in second and I pulled the clutch and rolled up to my parking space and thats when it cut out, before I stopped

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fuel injected not carb, and it has an NGK spark plug cap on it, will check all of this tomorrow thanks guys

bypass2
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

faulty kill switch. petrol flow is there enough petrol in the tank.

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:49 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kill switch on the bike, plenty of petrol, does smell of petrol when trying to start it but i might have flooded it trying to get it going

bypass2
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:56 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the plug to wet. give it a clean. or try a new plug. just guessing maybe engine flooded.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you spray easy start, butane, deodorant, brake cleaner or whatever the fuck you have lying about into the intake while cranking it?

Fuck all? Probably electrical, also consider (but less likely) timing or compression.
It runs? Probably fuel starvation.

Divide and conquer bitches.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
What happens if you spray easy start, butane, deodorant...

It no longer smells of petrol.
Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrdodge7 wrote:
No kill switch on the bike

The red switch on the right handle bar? Was it removed?

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:07 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Mrdodge7 wrote:
No kill switch on the bike

The red switch on the right handle bar? Was it removed?

Doesn't have one, it has a tilt sensor.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for a lot of seemingly random suggestions on this thread is that the bike is a 6 year old 125, and 125s have a hard life with a succession of teenage owners. The problem is far more likely to be down to someone else's bodge that to a normal part failing.

That said, CBR125s of that vintage (and possibly others, but I have worked on one from around that time) have quite a few poor quality parts.

The fact that the side stand switch doesn't work means someone has messed with it before.

So, chasing an intermitted fault. Chances are that it's an electrical problem affecting ignition (spark). It sounds like the fault is stopping the bike from running altogether, which points at the various safety and security circuits. First places I would look:
1. Side stand switch and its wiring. You said that it doesn't have a side stand cutout, or it doesn't work. For reference, a side stand switch stops the engine if the stand is down when the engine is in gear. It has no effect when the engine is in neutral (assuming the neutral light works). If it doesn't work, it usually means it was playing up before and someone disconnected it and twisted the wires together. Find this bodge and either improve the bodge, or reconnect the wires to the switch and give the switch a really good clean.
2. Ignition barrel wiring. I saw this on a CBR125. The wires from the ignition barrel can get chewed up by the lock stops where the bottom steering yoke meets the frame headstock. This then allows the wires to short out on the frame, often when the steering is turned hard to the right. Have a good look at these wires - a torch helps. If they look chewed up then fix them. An appropriate short term fix is to wrap the affected area of each individual wire in electrical tape, then wrap the whole bundle.

Mrdodge7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike works fine, left it indoors at work overnight and let it all dry out, must have been water somewhere it shouldn't have been so ill be sorting that out tomorrow so it doesn't happen again! Thanks for all the advice!

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misread your first post. I saw the word sputtering but you said no sputtering it just cut out. My mistake. If there was water under the spark plug cap you would typically get sputtering and coughing. If it died instantly with no sputtering it's usually a bad connection somewhere.

I can't find a workshop manual anywhere for a 2014 cbr125r so I don't know how it's wired. If anyone else can find one stick it up.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:58 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be wanting to fix that bike.

It will come back and bite you again if just left.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:45 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrdodge7 wrote:
Bike works fine, left it indoors at work overnight and let it all dry out, must have been water somewhere it shouldn't have been so ill be sorting that out tomorrow so it doesn't happen again! Thanks for all the advice!

Friend has same model and had the same problem twice. Once there was no flow on the fuel line, can't remember if kinked, gummed or whatever, other was leaving it out in heavy rain for awhile, after a few sunny days it worked fine, he got a cover and never happened again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1