Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Another Brexit bonus

French Officials wrote:
The EU’s Cross-Border Enforcement Directive no longer applies, French officials have said, so British-registered vehicles will no longer be sent fines for offences detected by roadside cameras

Doesn't that cut both ways? Loads of Frogs speeding up and down our roads as they know they won't be sent fines?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

French Officials wrote:
The EU’s Cross-Border Enforcement Directive no longer applies, French officials have said, so British-registered vehicles will no longer be sent fines for offences detected by roadside cameras

Doesn't that cut both ways? Loads of Frogs speeding up and down our roads as they know they won't be sent fines?

Is that any different to Eastern Europeans trampling up and down the by-roads of fair old England?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Is that any different to Eastern Europeans trampling up and down the by-roads of fair old England?

Ah, but with them it's just a moan up 'cos they're foreign but the French... well, they're French! There is a difference Smile

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Ah, but with them it's just a moan up 'cos they're foreign but the French... well, they're French! There is a difference Smile

For some bizarre reason, I'm reminded of this... Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895eSm4oQRw

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

For some bizarre reason, I'm reminded of this... Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895eSm4oQRw

Yup, two countries being at an almost constant state of war for a millennia does tend to dampen any sense of comradery Shocked

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Kawakid, used to habite en Bretagne, Im a Brexit voting biker, but I've nothing against the French.

Both countries have a great ability to not understand each other and a refusal to learn languages. Funnily enough if you could converse you might think differently.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the usual thing. Not the people, the politicians. They mess everything up.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

BUt they don't come here, ever - well hardly ever - compare England => France tourism and then vice versa,,

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

BUt they don't come here, ever - well hardly ever - compare England => France tourism and then vice versa,,

Frenchland is a Corridor Cuntry to the rest of Europe and places further afar so maybe their tourism industry gets a leg-up due to that necessity for Brits.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trampoline prices 'to soar 50% on shipping costs'

Ripe for satire and puns but I don't expect the BBC will put this story on HIGNFY, etc. To be fair they haven't pinned it on Brexit yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:46 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Trampoline prices 'to soar 50% on shipping costs'

Ripe for satire and puns but I don't expect the BBC will put this story on HIGNFY, etc. To be fair they haven't pinned it on Brexit yet.

I liked this bit:

"His firm makes some products in the UK already and rising shipping costs will mean it will become economical to make more."

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Young Kawakid, used to habite en Bretagne, Im a Brexit voting biker, but I've nothing against the French.

Both countries have a great ability to not understand each other and a refusal to learn languages. Funnily enough if you could converse you might think differently.

Fun useless off-topic fact:

Over the past few months, usage of Duolingo skyrocketed, with the highest proportion of new users being British.

https://blog.duolingo.com/uk-language-report-2020/

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a 'non-story'..?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

As far as I'm aware its now the buyers responsibility to pay VAT on imports from EU but NOT duty. Correct?

This means that Ellen's coat will have been purchased for 180 GBP ex_VAT and she's charged VAT on the import (not sure if that is our rate on the export country rate) - there's also an extra admin charge form the courier who add the VAT and collect the payment..

So most of her 82 quid will have been VAT she would have paid anyway (unless it was a work garment for her building job for example) plus a courier admin charge. If she paid VAT twice I could understand the grievance but I don't think it's the case.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Is this a 'non-story'..?

As far as I'm aware its now the buyers responsibility to pay VAT on imports from EU but NOT duty. Correct?

This means that Ellen's coat will have been purchased for 180 GBP ex_VAT and she's charged VAT on the import (not sure if that is our rate on the export country rate) - there's also an extra admin charge form the courier who add the VAT and collect the payment..

So most of her 82 quid will have been VAT she would have paid anyway (unless it was a work garment for her building job for example) plus a courier admin charge. If she paid VAT twice I could understand the grievance but I don't think it's the case.

That's exactly right.

I bought a watch from Germany this week. As soon as I put my location in it deducted the EU VAT and shipped it without tax.

I am expecting when it arrives the duty bill for the UK VAT and potential customs duty.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Is this a 'non-story'..?

Yes, it seemed cheap because it didn't have VAT on it. Although I've seen places who don't understand they aren't supposed to be charging local VAT.

£82 on a £200 coat seems excessive though. The VAT would be £40 so what's the other £42.

That said, another way of reading this article is:
"I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won't be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon".

So she is presumably still in the market for two coats at £200 each and will now spend that money in the UK.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a phone case from Korea once. The so-called admin charges cost more than the duty Sad

But ordering from China (high value business stuff, no skipping the duty with the fake "this is a $20 gift" customs declaration) DHL held the packages at the China end, I wired the money to them and the packages entered the UK with the duty pre-paid, no admin charges Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a phone from China (ISTR £120), and paid the small extra charge (£1.48?) for the insurance against customs interception/fees I was offered.

Interesting figures.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

That's exactly right.

I bought a watch from Germany this week. As soon as I put my location in it deducted the EU VAT and shipped it without tax.

I am expecting when it arrives the duty bill for the UK VAT and potential customs duty.

But you shouldn't be paying 'customs duty' - just VAT on import plus perhaps some spurious admin charge..

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:12 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

But you shouldn't be paying 'customs duty' - just VAT on import plus perhaps some spurious admin charge.

A lot of sellers are still charging local VAT too. Which they are presumably pocketing.

My understanding is that duty is only payable on fags and booze and some fuels/lubricants from the EU?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A lot of sellers are still charging local VAT too. Which they are presumably pocketing.

This is definitely behind some of the excess charging stories.
If an EU trader sells to UK they should be deducting their local tax which will be broadly similar.
Lower value items it may be £39 are exempt from import duties so there is just the UK VAT plus possible admin charge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

But you shouldn't be paying 'customs duty' - just VAT on import plus perhaps some spurious admin charge..

Hence 'potentially'. But I am expecting to:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diplomatic row has broken out between the UK and EU over the status of the bloc's ambassador in London.

BBC wrote:

https://order-order.com/2021/01/21/barnier-admits-eu-is-not-an-international-organisation/
Quote:
Little does Barnier know, this is exactly how Brexiteers have been telling Remainers the EU sees itself for decades. Remainers liked to pretend it was more akin to a free trade bloc, Brexiteers called it out as a burgeoning federal state.

...if the EU is to decide it is in fact a federal state... then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have an ambassador. All they would need to do is stand down the ambassadors of their member states as there’s no need to double up. The US’s Texas and California don’t get their own ambassadors in the UK,

Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are ppl in Brussels so naïve as to think "where's this come from, why are they fucking us about?"

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
A diplomatic row has broken out between the UK and EU over the status of the bloc's ambassador in London.

Laughing

Heard that - it was news to me that there was even such a thing as an EU ambassador/embassy in the UK. In fact I learn there's about 150 of the c*nts in countries around the world!!
As said it seems a wholly unnecessary expense and only of benefit to the teensy EU countries not represented in the teensy non-EU countries.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I ordered a phone case from Korea once. The so-called admin charges cost more than the duty Sad

The unofficial charges due to HMRC and mail working out a nice little arrangement when it should be HMRC doing it themselves at their expense?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 520 of 523