Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike less than 3 yrs old?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

mdavies777
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:40 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: What bike less than 3 yrs old? Reply with quote

UK based, I am looking for a bike after we escape lockdown. My budget is around £13k.

Can anyone recommend bikes that would be worth looking at for that figure. Happy to look at new or bikes a couple of yrs old. I want to do some touring just around UK and prob need to have a bike with luggage options. Prob won't have a pillion most of the time.

Have been looking at Versys, BMWs, Triumph tigers etc from 750cc to 1250 cc. Never ridden these makes so test rides are on the horizon. Looking at youtube seems a fair few options, prob why I am a little confused??

Any advice would be helpful! Cheers
Mark.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a healthy budget and will net you most touring bikes with your criteria. UK touring doesn't require off-roading, so unless you have specific desire there's no need to look at true adventure motorcycles and you can have something a bit more road focussed.

My VFR800X Crossrunner fits your criteria; then can be had new for £10k (technically discontinued for 2021 and without a replacement, but in practice there are new ones still in dealers) and find a good deal and you might get the hard panniers thrown in. I absolutely love mine and bought it with touring in mind but something that'll still do day rides (which it does).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above - loads of options for that price point, new and SH.

As for luggage - don't get caught up thinking you need a full set of metal cases adorning your rear; for UK touring 4-5 days I could quite happily get away with just my 60L rolltop bag strapped over a rear seat to the footpegs using ROK straps. What you think you need to take versus what you actually take, you'll surprise yourself with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:55 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toured 2 up on a 1972 Lambretta so pretty much anything will tour.

At 13k I'd just choose whatever you like the look off.

Z1000sx ? BMW S1000xr ? New Katana , Z900rs Cafe ?

Worlds yer oyster mate, fill yer boots.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accoding to their web-site your Harley is up to the task..

Quote:
Harley Switchback
The SwitchbackTM is a unique part of the the Harley-Davidson® Dyna lineup. It's a super versatile bike that's just as easy to load up for a long tour as it is to strip down and cruise around the city.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very tempted by a BMW K1300GT for purely road touring use, one with all of the bells and whistles (power adjustable screen, heated seats, cruise control etc...). They stopped making them in 2013 so you're looking at half your budget, throw a full service and new hoops on top and you're set for the year.

The only real competition was the BMW GTR1400 and if you're intent on a newer bike then maybe that's the better bet as they made them for longer, I think the K13 generally reviewed better though.

K1600GT supposedly trumps both the GTR14 and the K13, but the sheer size would put me off a bit.

Edit: just to add, I see you said the last 3 years, but honestly I don't think there is a newer bike I'd take instead. Maybe a VFR1200 but it's a fair bit sportier than the GT (more akin to the K1300S). The K13gt strikes the best balance for a bike used primarily for touring in my books.

Last edited by c_dug on 14:03 - 13 Jan 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Accoding to their web-site your Harley is up to the task..

Yes - assuming you're a Harley fan, what is it about that bike that's making you want something else? It might help you get more targeted replies here.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:32 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be able to buy a good few new bikes with luggage for 13K. I've had a V-Strom 1000 for nearly 4 years and I do many 4-500 mile solo days on it under normal (non covid)conditions. The latest ones appear to be well regarded though I would avoid the spoked wheel versions and stick with the cast wheels unless you want to spend your time on forums grumbling about corroding spokes. The cast wheel version is also cheaper. The Strom comes under the adventure bike category but don't let that put you off. It's a sweet handling road bike with a lovely engine. Only real down side for long distance touring is lack of weather protection.

A late model FJR1300 will normally come with Yamaha panniers and may well have a top box fitted. The latest 6 speed gearbox versions seem to be having recalls but the previous 5 speed versions are bullet proof. They are superb sport touring bikes with more than enough power, they offer superb weather protection and don't do to badly in the twisties for a big lump. I had a 2008 model for 7 years and it took me and my wife all over Europe and never missed a beat. A lot less than £13K will get you a cracker. Highly recommended!

My current "big tourer" is a BMW R1250RT. It's my first ever BMW and I have to confess it did take me a while to take to it. A year or so with it and it finally clicked. It was a replacement for my FJR and it does everything the Yamaha did but better in some areas. The handling is better and the self adjusting suspension is just superb. The brakes on the Beemer are also better than the FJR though they were by no means lacking. Weather protection is also in another level. Our last European trip started with a close to 700 miles from Aberdeenshire to Plymouth, much of it in rain and we arrived more or less dry. £13K should get you a decent used one or even the previous R1200RT is worth considering. RT's come with BMW panniers and most owners will fit a top box.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm forming the impression that a lot of people don't quite 'get' this site.

Two post Mark Davies for example.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:15 - 29 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati multistrada

Crossrunner

Crosstourer

Africa Twin

KTM 1290

Very few lemons nowadays, test ride everything and buy what you like.

SpeedyCBR1100
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these suggestions, most of them great, you could also look at a BMW S1000XR. Full luggage from Givi is easily available. The bike is extremely comfortable, although I use an Air Hawk on really long trips. It's as quick as you need, suspension and engine modes adjustable on the fly, quick-shifter up and down takes some of the pressure of your left foot. The tank range is reasonable too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1