Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NBR - need means of spraying old engine oil

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: NBR - need means of spraying old engine oil Reply with quote

Not bike related - just need suggestions on tackle that can be used for spraying used oil and/or fairly viscous stuff e.g. wood preservative.

Assume I own nothing - no compressors, nothing. I'm willing to spend a medium sort of amount. I.e. not looking to cheap ass it. I want stuff that won't clog and can be used continuously rather than in short bursts. Cheers guys.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garden pressure sprayer? Might need to enalrge the hole (ooeerrr matron) slightly. Cheap enough to try, less than a tenner last time I bought one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:05 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pneumatic oiler is the thing, but you'd need a compressor.

We used to spray thinned waxoyl onto steel that was going to be stored out in the elements using an HVLP electric spray gun. Used to just be left full of the stuff. A bit like this thing:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb558srg-100w-electric-solenoid-spray-gun-220-240v/11919

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: NBR - need means of spraying old engine oil Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
need suggestions on tackle that can be used for spraying used oil and/or fairly viscous stuff e.g. wood preservative

I was looking a while ago at a Tacklife model SGP15AC, which has reasonable reviews, but endeded up just brushing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell sprayer for cuprinol-esque.

Less phapheritty than N*ggir Riggin'/Cobbling Some Frankensprayer together.

It will allow you an outing to b&q too.

Asset Preservation is Necessity. 👍

And... 😷 (specially whilst spraying your Product)

p.s. You cheap Skate Charlie Brown. 🙄
🤣

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its far too thick unless thinned down a little with petrol or parrafin. Especially at this time of the year.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Its far too thick unless thinned down a little with petrol or parrafin. Especially at this time of the year.

You could also use diesel, petrol might be a little risky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I welded up my old van
and in the abscess of a compressor
I used a pump up garden sprayer (tenner maybe?) to apply
old engine oil thinned a bit with white spirit to the chassis
worked well for me and have been doing it to old bangers for years.

Even used similar techniques in frame tubes and swinging arms
Some folk screamed "but its acidic! it'll eat the frame!!"
Bollox it is, the swinging arm and frame I welded up and flooded with old oil and white spirit
in 2005 is still sound and rot free 15 years later.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:37 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
steve the grease wrote:

You could also use diesel, petrol might be a little risky.

Diesel is so slow to evaporate though, days and weeks , rather than minutes and hours. Paraffin probably the best compromise - or white spirit.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Schutz spray guns are good for spraying oil

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small tank compressor with a low power motor, e.g. 25L/1hp will be running at 100% duty cycle and even then you'd have to stop every few minutes while the tank refills. The nozzles on most paint guns won't like thick oil, it'll adjust a bit but unless you have the correct nozzle forget it. Gravity fed guns are better, but even these will make a considerable overspray.

Bigger compessors are expensive, I extended the tank on my setup by adding an old butane gas bottle to one of the outlets. Even ths won't work for large paint jobs, as even at 75 litres, the motor isn't 3hp, which would be the minimum I'd recommmend.

I recently refurbed the front room and bought a cheap HVLP setup from Machine Mart. Two coats of thin watery emulsion onto bare plaster and it gave a perfect finish, with hardly any paint used. Overspray was less than on a high pressure gun, but I still wouldn't risk using it to paint in a carpeted room.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-apk900-hvlp-floor-based-electric-spray/

The HVLP setup is very sensitive to viscosity, you get a flow cup included in that setup, to help you judge the amount of 'thinners' to add. Once the flow is correct it works great, make sure you're filtering anything you put in the cup.

This particular rig might be a pain if you're doing a huge area, as the tank attached to the gun is only small, so you'd be refilling it a lot.

There's also this (cheaper) option, no experience of it though.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cas110-electric-spray-gun/

TLDR, compressor setup is expensive, HVLP all day.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone.

I'm thinking compressor. I'm sick of making do with bullshit heath robinson lash ups and general tight wad approaches.

I just want to get the jobs done. I'll pay for a decent compressor if needs be. So my question is now - what compressor, and what spray tackle for old engine oil and similar viscosity liquids. Budget around a grand? Could that do it?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, you've changed your tune a lot. You'd be better off paying someone who needs the money to do it for you.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone.

I'm thinking compressor. I'm sick of making do with bullshit heath robinson lash ups and general tight wad approaches.

I just want to get the jobs done. I'll pay for a decent compressor if needs be. So my question is now - what compressor, and what spray tackle for old engine oil and similar viscosity liquids. Budget around a grand? Could that do it?

Big tank, 3hp. If I was due an upgrade I'd go for something like this.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmaster-tiger-161050-3hp-100-litre-air-compr/

That's about as good as it gets at that price point, much bigger and you're in the realms of needing three phase power.

Get connectors and hoses desiged for high flow, some hoses have small diameter interiors and fittings.

Someone on here bought a vertical one, that looked a nice bit of kit but IIRC it was about £6-700.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Crikey, you've changed your tune a lot. You'd be better off paying someone who needs the money to do it for you.

OP said I wanted to aim for somewhere in the middle, budget wise

i guessed this to be around a grand by the time all the bits were bought - looks like i was being a bit pessimistic, but it'll be half that at least

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Cheers everyone.

That's about as good as it gets at that price point, much bigger and you're in the realms of needing three phase power.

Get connectors and hoses desiged for high flow, some hoses have small diameter interiors and fittings.

Someone on here bought a vertical one, that looked a nice bit of kit but IIRC it was about £6-700.

great - cheers

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

i guessed this to be around a grand by the time all the bits were bought - looks like i was being a bit pessimistic, but it'll be half that at least

You said you wanted tp spray "oil and/or fairly viscous stuff e.g. wood preservative", which is I think why you got the replies you did. There's less than no benefit spending £1,000 to do that. So perhaps you could better define what you do want to do? What you need does actually depend on what you want to do....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cheap would be to take a big mouthful, purse your lips and blow a raspberry. The contents will spray out.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Cheers everyone.

You can get that compressor in Aldi but it has a 50L tank. For spraying oil on a fence it would probably do the job https://www.einhelltools.co.uk/pdfs/store/WAC3050.pdf

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

You said you wanted tp spray "oil and/or fairly viscous stuff e.g. wood preservative", which is I think why you got the replies you did. There's less than no benefit spending £1,000 to do that. So perhaps you could better define what you do want to do? What you need does actually depend on what you want to do....

it will be required on a regular basis

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will be required on a regular basis
Riejufixing wrote:
perhaps you could better define what you do want to do? What you need does actually depend on what you want to do....

"I want to use it regularly" is not the same as "I want to use it to...". The latter is important (and I think why you got the original responses).

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to spray used oil continuously as opposed to short bursts

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1