Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FortNine eBike Rant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: FortNine eBike Rant Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/wM8Xli2KTzI

Having built quite a few eBikes culminating in an illegal monstrosity that outpaced any legal 50cc bike* I tend to agree with the Canadian whippersnapper. I did in fact ride said eBeast to one of my motorcycle training days... in full motorcycle gear inc. helmet and it felt a bit weird Smile

I've said it before but going up the A3 on a motorbike at 50~60mph is so placid it's like riding through treacle. >30mph on an eBike is hair raising Shocked

*not 2-stroke obviously

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Darwin again. Init?

We like to say.

Motorbike Death/Injury was out of control until regulation and training was introduced to help bikers stay rubber side down.

How many pedo-cyclists do any sort of training of pass any test apart from being able to balance on the bastirts?

There is a system but I don't know who enforces this.
It's not law so can be ignored.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikeability

It's a recommendation which should be encouraged and parents who fail to encourage their spore to follow the guidance should be banged-up. 😡
🤣

Edit:
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules#:~:text=You%20can%20ride%20an%20electric,be%20registered%2C%20taxed%20or%20insured.

So 60kph (mph whateva) is illegal on UK roads therefore Darwin Rules Apply.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever there were a video that highlighted the difference between (most) motorbike enthusiasts and normies, this must be it.

If you don't have a highly regulated environment of a consumer item, you end up with greater adoption. This is more or less the situation with electric bikes. You can build one, convert one, derestrict one, etc. and, chances are, nobody's going to check if you have the right licence, insurance or gear. You end up with the same sort of people who took up motorcycles in the early-to-mid 20th century taking up electric bikes now.

Much as it pains to admit, motorcycling is dominated by nerds and obsessives, and doesn't many social normies in it. This could be because of the licensing hoops, or maintenance requirements or something. I don't know. What I do know is that Guy what's-'is-name, Steve McQueen and the like were never interested in the fetishisation of the object, but rather the experience, and the feeling it gave them. I'd like to think I'm more like that myself. The feeling of a bike floating over the bumps in the road like a hovercraft, the drama of the noise, the smells, the feel of the air, even the fogging and defogging of the visor. It could be any bike - even an ER5 - for all I care. When/if it breaks, too bad, get another. But, in truth, these icons of pop culture were even further out. To them, it didn't/doesn't even have to be a bike. It could be a speedboat, an airplane, a jetpack or absolutely anything. They are/were only in it for the thrills.

So with the e-bike situation, you will not get the sort of person who obsesses over DOT vs SHARP helmet performance tests, or who cares to know how D3O works, or who calculates speeds and distances, etc. You will, rather, get a normal spread of people in society. Nerds are and always were a minority.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen myself as more of a geek.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do 60+km/h on my roadbike and it is a stupendously dangerous thing to do. Very narrow tyres that fit all the cracks in the road surface, while having next to no grip (compared to motorcycles and cars). Very low weight making cross winds and turbulant air a real issue, and so on, while the only protective gear you are wearing is your bicycle helmet, if you wear one. The only thing even worse than an e-bicycle is a modified e-scooter where the wheels are also narrow, plus tiny and very close to each other.

I say each to their own, but people should at least acknowledge the risks involved. A standard legal e-bicycle has like 250W motor and the e-assist stops once you hit 25-28 km/h, and that's what I think is reasonable. The assist being there only to help the rider going uphill.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind if some adolescent/adult quad-spazzes on an e-bike. When they should know better. The u-tube footage is entertaining.
I am concerned for kids who should be protected to some degree.
And the whankers who could take me or some other innocent out in the process of quad-spazzing.
(Also, I am not sure if spazzing has one or two z?)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1