Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No Power on KLR650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

fredtman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:20 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: No Power on KLR650 Reply with quote

My 2013 KLR650 has 8K miles on it. The other day I tried to start it and all lights came on when I turned the key on. When I pushed the starter button all power went off and I heard a faint crackling sound. I had no dash lights, headlight, brake light, turn signals or horn. ALL POWER was gone. I checked the main fuse (not the spare underneath in the rubber holder) and the two fuses under the seat with a fuse tester and the test light came on for all three. I took the key in and out, wiggled it around, turned the bars back and forth and still no power. Today I started to troubleshoot again. I turned the key on first just to start from the beginning and all lights came on. But when I pushed the starter button everything went off again and I heard that very faint crackling sound again. What do some of you electrical gremlin chasers think my next move should be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:02 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your battery is shot. Put it on a charger overnight and try again. If the bike still does not start, have it tested. Troubleshooting your electrical system requires a functional, fully charged battery.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the battery, good to give it a charge but it sounds like you have a bad connection on a main power or ground. Could be at the battery, starter relay, starter motor or earth connection to the frame and engine.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds more like bad connection than necessarily bad battery
Take off and reclamp battery terminals, negative is always most likely to have a problem and make sure it has good contact to frame.
Some jump leads and another battery or vehicle would help diagnose at this stage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 and still having the original factory (dealer) battery form new shouts out that the battery is kaput.

But no harm in troubleshooting the additional shit.

A test meter will only show volts in the battery and amps that a consumer uses but it cannot fully test a battery.
A proper test requires a substantial load to be applied to the battery whilst the volts are observed.
The headlamp is no where near enough load to make the battery work hard.
The sort of load that the starter motor applies to the battery is enough.
(On some equipment it is possible to stall the engine and engage the starter and read the volts.
That is the same load as a High Rate Discharge Tester would apply.
But modern stuff has interlocks to help prevent autists from starting an engine whilst in gear. 🤣

Halfrauds sell good bike batteries and can test your existing battery whilst you wait.

The high rate discharge test holds a load on a 'freshly charged' battery showing 12> Volts for a few seconds not more than 5sec is enough.
The battery voltage should not drop below 10volts.
If it drops below 10volts then that indicates that the battery is begining to break-down.
Batteries that test bad cannot be recovered to a reliable state and should be replaced with new. (Not some lump of shite that's been sat on dad's Healing Shelf for some time.)

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Where does it say it has the original factory battery from 2013? I'd be 99% sure he's got a bad connection on a main power or ground. Where ever the "faint crackling" is coming from is the bad connection.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It easily could be on original battery, my CRF250 roughs it a bit but is from same year and not needed changing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "faint crackling sound" could be the starter solenoid buzz; a classic sign of a flat battery. There's enough volts for the lights (at first) but not enough amps for the starter. Quickest test: if it will start with jump leads to another vehicle it's got a flat battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Am I missing something? Where does it say it has the original factory battery from 2013? I'd be 99% sure he's got a bad connection on a main power or ground. Where ever the "faint crackling" is coming from is the bad connection.

You're probably missing lots. 🙄

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describing a noise is subjective so maybe it's the starter relay but people usually describe the starter relay as a rapid clicking or a buzzing sound when the battery is low.

What he or she said was "When I pushed the starter button all power went off and I heard a faint crackling sound. I had no dash lights, headlight, brake light, turn signals or horn. ALL POWER was gone" That is classic bad connection description. I'll give that my lock of the week

https://longshotvalue.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/smoothjimmy.png?w=630

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I push the button / turn the key, doesn't start, lights dim... with all due respect, how is this a revelation?

Li-Ion jumper packs cost buttons on eBay/Amazon/etc. Surely the first port of call Wink

fredtman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:53 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: No Power on KLR650 Reply with quote

fredtman wrote:
My 2013 KLR650 has 8K miles on it. The other day I tried to start it and all lights came on when I turned the key on. When I pushed the starter button all power went off and I heard a faint crackling sound. I had no dash lights, headlight, brake light, turn signals or horn. ALL POWER was gone. I checked the main fuse (not the spare underneath in the rubber holder) and the two fuses under the seat with a fuse tester and the test light came on for all three. I took the key in and out, wiggled it around, turned the bars back and forth and still no power. Today I started to troubleshoot again. I turned the key on first just to start from the beginning and all lights came on. But when I pushed the starter button everything went off again and I heard that very faint crackling sound again. What do some of you electrical gremlin chasers think my next move should be?

Looks like the problem is my new, 7 week old battery. I put the trickle charger on it overnight. Checked voltage with multimeter without key on. Showed 13+ volts. Turned the key and all lights came on. Kept the voltmeter connected as I pushed the starter button and voltage went to .01 volts immediately and all lights went off. Contacted the seller and told them the details. They are sending me a new battery. I didn’t even consider the battery since it was less than two months old and less than 100 miles riding. As I often do, I forgot to remind myself of my most important wrench turning creed, “CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST”

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the new battery arrives it would be worthwhile checking the charging system in case it's the true cause of battery failure.

fredtman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:33 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
When the new battery arrives it would be worthwhile checking the charging system in case it's the true cause of battery failure.

Thanks for the tip, but I keep the battery on a trickle charger so I know it was fully charged. Also, it went from 13 volts to .01 volts as soon as I press the starter button.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rectifier was pooped, the alternator could be sending out battery destroying voltages

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand battery is it? Sounds like there's a bad connection internally in the battery. It has voltage at the terminals when there's no load and no current flow but when a load is put on it all the voltage drops internally across the bad connection so no current flow.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
If the rectifier was pooped, the alternator could be sending out battery destroying voltages

I have seen the results of a failed rectifier (one diode in the rectifier bridge gone south). In my experience, when that happens, you lose power on one phase. Lose a third of your power from a three phase stator and you will notice it immediately. Lights go dim. Battery fails to charge. But it does not destroy the battery. Replace the R/R and all is well.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that a duff new battery seems unlikely, so suppose it starts off good but on each journey it's not being charged, only drained. OP gets home, plugs the charger in, next trip all seems fine. But in my experience even with an Optimate it may "recover" the battery but it'll never be quite the same again; damage has been done. Eventually after a few of these cycles it's done for, but to the OP it'll seem like a sudden event. Checking that the battery is being charged would be an easy test when the new one arrives, and it might save a repeat event in a few weeks time.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. They make deep-cycle batteries for the kind of duty cycle you describe. Not the norm for a motorcycle with a functioning charging system.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1