Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!! Reply with quote

ABR1997 wrote:
Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!!.

As everybody has said & IMO it's fine. But I wouldn't be using that mechanic oiley rag again. If you weren't there, what are the chances he'd have gone for a leak, started talking to another customer, or got distracted by something else, and left it running longer.

Hence, I NEVER ask anyone to do my repairs.

Thing is, if it were your own engine, it's fine. But to show anything but respect to someone elses engine, does not bod well for future business. When dealing with a customers engine caution is always the way to go, whether they are present or not.

Incidentally 3~5 seconds is about how long I turn the engine over for when doing an oil change.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say they are easy to work on and maintain and yet you’ve got a mechanic to do a simple oil change and adjustment of the throttle cable Rolling Eyes

That’s messing with my OCD

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a wind up thread to me

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Seems like a wind up thread to me

Me too, but unique IP so meh. Someone combining severe anxiety and OCD and owning an enfield will rapidly become a self limiting problem. I don't suffer from anxiety and OCD and it's taken me years to cultivate an a laissez faire attitude to the oddities and eccentricities of these machines in operation.

On an iron barrel enfield, it takes two minutes at idle for oil to get from the oil tank to the rockers. After a rebuild, it's standard practice to start the bike and let it idle for two minutes until you see oil appear at the rockers. Until that point, the only lubrication is the assembly oil.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockers aren't big ends, which are the firstish in line for lubrication.

As I & others have said, I would not worry, but neither would I be using the services of that person/shop again.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!! Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
ABR1997 wrote:
He started the bike while draining the engine oil half way and the bike was running for 5 seconds till I shut it off, I'm really worried guys! Help me.

Don't watch the Royal Enfield video where they run it with no oil, flush it with petrol, then run it again before filling with oil. You'll pop an aneurysm.

I misremembered, it was Diesel for the run before the petrol flush.

https://youtu.be/E8L_pT2SttI?t=104

Still, if you're going to have an Enfield, you really should be OK with at least doing your own oil changes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!! Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I misremembered, it was Diesel for the run before the petrol flush.

https://youtu.be/E8L_pT2SttI?t=104

Still, if you're going to have an Enfield, you really should be OK with at least doing your own oil changes.

Bloke doing the job's got a repair business.

That's the equivalent of someone who owns a dry-cleaners throwing buckets of grot over his customers as they leave.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting it just to get a small bit more out is a daft thing to do, as is putting diesel into it. If you really want to flush it just drain the old oil out, put new oil in and go for a good long ride and then drain it again and new stuff in.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:29 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will have done any damage, but like others have said I'd be taking my trade elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he was trying to steal your oil?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:10 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike 'might' be damaged and 'may' kill you next time you ride it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might flush with diesel if it was majorly contaminated with water or something as that would dissolve away any mayonaise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
The bike 'might' be damaged and 'may' kill you next time you ride it.

That’s not an oil issue though, it’s the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars that sounds a bit loose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:42 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Rockers aren't big ends, which are the firstish in line for lubrication.

True. oil appears at the crank end feed quill bolt after about a minute.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 sec running half full of oil it will be absolutely fine.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the mechanic tell you why he started the bike whilst draining the engine oil?

https://i.imgur.com/9aP43Fa.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP returns I'll eat my shoes...

..possibly.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Did the mechanic tell you why he started the bike whilst draining the engine oil?

https://i.imgur.com/9aP43Fa.jpg

Mechanic was probably instructed to 'Get all that nasty old oil out, every last drop, you will won't you? Make sure you do, I don't want any old nasty oil mixing with the new stuff, that'll fuck my engine up. Please get it all out, please, please, please.'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Mechanic was probably instructed to 'Get all that nasty old oil out, every last drop, you will won't you? Make sure you do, I don't want any old nasty oil mixing with the new stuff, that'll fuck my engine up. Please get it all out, please, please, please.'

Can't have the peas touching the carrots Tut Tut .

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
ABR1997, Maybe you should consider trading your Royal Enfield for a Honda Cub. Performance is about the same, and the Cub is indestructable.

My mate had a C50 that he used every day, never checked anything let alone service it and one day it seized as it had no oil in whatsoever.

He let it cool, filled it back up with oil and carried on with no obvious adverse effects.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
recman wrote:

i actually saw that happen once

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:05 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

One wonders how the autists actually manage to breed.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump 44 times, no more, no less.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:24 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Pump 44 times, no more, no less.

Yes, but how many squirts?

What happens if he looses control and squirts too many times?

Douche it out and try again later?

Reminds of the old joke, punch line is "Fuck it £1.12"

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Mechanic started my Bike while draining engine oil!!!!! Reply with quote

ABR1997 wrote:
Hi guys I'm new here, I've been riding for almost 5 years, I have anxiety and OCD, my bike is a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X, recently I went for an oil change and during the oil change when the oil was draining half way, I told my mechanic to adjust the throttle cable and make it softer, he immediately turned the ignition On and started the bike, I panicked and I immediately turned off the engine 5 seconds later, I've been told to never start a vehicle without engine oil and my mechanic started it for 5 seconds, I'm really worried that my bike might be damaged because he started the bike without engine oil, he told me that it was actually okay because some engine oil was stuck on top of the engine because he was draining it and it came out half, it was still draining and half of the engine oil had already dropped on the pan below but some oil was still in the sump, since I have OCD I assume that my bike might be slightly damaged, is my bike damaged? He started the bike while draining the engine oil half way and the bike was running for 5 seconds till I shut it off, I'm really worried guys! Help me.

Fine - how many seconds was the bike running for??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3