Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda xr125 indicator relay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Honda xr125 indicator relay Reply with quote

Been having issues with these for over a year now, indicators in the cold weather take a very long time to come on ( fine in the summer),it’s now got to the stage that they don’t come on at all now and it’s mot time.
Got someone at work who's-going to test the relay tomorrow, if it broken I’ll need a replacement. I have been looking at this one on wemoto and this too.
They don’t look the same but would they both work?

Regards. Scezy

https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/12v-2-pin-rectangle-indicator-relay/1/006112?bike=12489

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/xr_125_l7/07/picture/flasher_relay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most basic relays come in 2-pin or 3-pin flavours, you just need to match that. For convenience though it would be nice to buy something with the same connector as the old one. Best to locate the old one and take a look Smile

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice,I've got original one and he's looking at it today but he wants the wiring diagram as to know how to test it. I've scoured the forum and sent him a manual which iv'e downloaded from here Very Happy
I have read that it might be possible to test bike without the relay in? This is a paragraph from manual, could someone explain this a little simpler.
Regards scezy

Turn Signal Circuit Inspection
Remove the front visor (page 2-5).
Disconnect the turn signal relay 3P connector from
the relay.
Short the Black/Blue and Gray terminals of the turn
signal relay connector with a jumper wire. Start the
engine and check the turn signal light by turning the
switch ON.
Is the light come on?
YES – • Faulty turn signal relay
• Poor connection of the connector.
NO – Broken wire harness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wires going to a three pin indicator relay are

12V wire
Ground wire
Wire that goes to the indicators. (Relay output On/Off 12V)

In that test you take the relay out and join the 12V wire to the wire going to the indicators. Turn the indicator switch on. The indicators should come on with no blinking. If they come on everything in the circuit is working correctly which suggests if you're having problems, that the problem is in the relay.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd also need to check the ground wire actually goes to ground.

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,he's done some tests on it but i'm still not sure if its the relay or not. When i get home i'm going to try this test with the wire, he said there is a you tube video showing it but i cant find it. not to sure how to actually check its going to ground.
regards scezy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:55 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

scezy1 wrote:
not to sure how to actually check its going to ground.
regards scezy

Stick a wire between the battery positive and the earth connector of the relay connector.

If you see sparks you have a good earth.

Or you could just buy a six quid multimeter.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bulb. Join one side of the bulb to battery positive. Join the other side of the bulb to the ground wire you're testing. If the bulb lights bright the ground is good.

Or you could connect the bulb between the 12V wire going to the indicator relay and the ground wire at the indicator relay. If the bulb lights brightly you know the 12V wire and ground wire at the indicator relay are good.

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any videos to show, i'm much more of a video person for learning things rather than trying to understand what people are writing, probably a bit thick. I also have a multi meter, it was a gift off some leccy who had a few but never really used it.
Regards scezy

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leccy has just shown me this so ill have a look tonight after work,thanks for all your help.
Regards scezy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lWBObymg0

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, got home last night and i'd left the ignition on so i've now got a flat battery. Going to jump start it tomorrow when i'm up.
Regards scezy

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, I’ve jumped bike off and left it running for a while, tried continuity test and seemed to take an age to get to zero so not sure if there is a ground issue. Also tried the bridging with a wire and nothing, indicators don’t come on. Does anyone have any advice on the next steps for finding fault.
Regards. Scezy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:27 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

scezy1 wrote:
Update, I’ve jumped bike off and left it running for a while, tried continuity test and seemed to take an age to get to zero so not sure if there is a ground issue. Also tried the bridging with a wire and nothing, indicators don’t come on. Does anyone have any advice on the next steps for finding fault.
Regards. Scezy

If you are looking for a reading of zero (and it taking ages to reach it) on a continuity test I'm not even going to start trying to help.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put up a link to the workshop manual you're looking at?

Did you follow the procedure you posted? Did you take the indicator relay out and join black/blue to grey with a wire and then turn the indicator switch on?

If you're doing a continuity test with a multimeter the bike has to be off. Put the meter to the lowest resistance scale. Connect one probe to the ground wire you're testing, connect the other probe to battery negative. The meter should show 0 or very close to 0. That means there's a good connection between the ground wire and battery negative.

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:33 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ifound this on here but been doing some youtube research too.
[https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B274v-P_PD7ib3JOQURxSVBHX2c]

Yeah followed instructions with wire bridge but nothing, i'll try it again today. I'm not sure if when i did the continuity test i had the bike on or off, so ill try that too.
Regards scezy

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this test again today first of all it nothing worked, so tested fuses and that seemed to be the problem. Looks like it’s blown so used a spare that was on the bike, tried again and seemed ok indicators came on and stayed on. The test only worked with the wire in this way see pic, is that right or should it work in both ways.
Just need to test it again with relay in as I blew fuse pulling wires out whilst ignition on.
Regards. Scezy

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it said in your procedure. Join Black/Blue to Grey. Don't join it any other way. If you join Black/Blue to Green the indicator fuse will blow.

When you replace the fuse use the same Amp fuse don't use a higher amp fuse. If you use a higher Amp fuse you can melt your wiring.

If the indicators come on when the fuse is replaced and the bridge wire is going from Black/Blue to Grey there's only two possible problems. The Green ground wire is bad or the relay is bad.

The easy way to test if the problem is on the Green wire is to take the bridge out, connect the relay back in and push a jumper wire into the connector where the Green wire is, then connect the other end of the jumper wire to battery negative. If the indicator now work there's a fault on the Green wire. If they still don't work the fault is in the relay.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the circuit by itself.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the circuit when the relay is taken out and the bridge is put in from Black/Blue to grey, the ignition is on and the indicator switch is put to the left.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it if you add a jumper wire from Green to battery negative.

scezy1
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to thank you all for the great advice, like i said in previous post i found the fuse had blown so maybe in future this is where i should start. i think it will take some getting my head round the diagrams you have kindly put up for me( oilyrag) but i'm sorted for now. with the new mirrors ,air filter, oil change and fork seals fitted, bike sailed through MOT.
Regards scezy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1