Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3 simple question will take you 3 seconds to answer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jcrob33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: 3 simple question will take you 3 seconds to answer Reply with quote

Hello Friends!

I'm brand new to motorcycle world. I'm 31 and like trying new things.

I recently had a friend sell me his Suzuki GS500 for $1,000(USD). It has 32,000 miles and seems to run pretty good. Looking around here for the last few months, it seems like a pretty good deal. I'm only looking to use this as a commuter bike.

Anyway, a few basic questions.

1. How many miles is a lot?
I'm new to bikes, not cars. I've had 35 cars. Fast, big, lifted, lowered etc. Currently have a 2004 Toyota Tundra with 300k. I know in Trucks, this is a lot of miles... How many miles is a lot in Motorcycles.

2. How many of you use your bike as your daily transportation?
I'm in Colorado, I could ride many days of the year. I'm just not sure the bike is up to the task?

3. Help me with a Foggy helmet.
My helmet fogs up when I'm stopped. I've googled a little but haven't heard much from first hand experience, whats the best way to keep my current helmet and stop the fog? I have a basic HJC.

:D

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jcrob33 on 02:28 - 22 Jan 2021; edited 1 time in total

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

GS500 is a nice and reliable bike. just be sure to follow manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule and keep your chain clean and oiled.

2. I'm commuting daily on SV650S in London (UK) about 8 miles, so far I haven't skipped a day Smile
I have no idea how that compares to Colorado. Be sure to get some road safety training. Or at least watch Dan Dan the Fireman (though sometimes I don't agree with his approach better than nothing) or read some book about advanced riding (police/services manual tailored for the US traffic and driver's behaviour?).

3. As for the visor - buy a pinlock and open your lid it every time you stop at the lights for a longer (yep, almost all of us do that).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: 3 simple question will take you 3 seconds to answer Reply with quote

jcrob33 wrote:

My helmet fogs up when I'm stopped. I've googled a little but haven't heard much from first hand experience, whats the best way to keep my current helmet and stop the fog? I have a basic HJC.

Very Happy

Thanks in advance!
A quick temporary fix. Take a paper towel, put a dab of washing up liquid on it and rub it into the inside of the visor. Polish it till it can't be seen. Try breathing on it then, it should stay fog free.

I used to do that every rainy day until I got my first fog city insert and then later on a pinlock visor.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: 3 simple question will take you 3 seconds to answer Reply with quote

jcrob33 wrote:

I'm new to bikes, not cars. I've had 35 cars. Fast, big, lifted, lowered etc. Currently have a 2004 Toyota Tundra with 300k. I know in Trucks, this is a lot of miles... How many miles is a lot in Motorcycles.

I'm in Colorado, I could ride many days of the year. I'm just not sure the bike is up to the task?

6 million miles is a lot. Laughing
I'm not sure what it is with my fellow Americans and a reluctance to believe that engines are capable of big numbers.
My poxy little 1.9td Peugeot engines were easily good for 1/4 million miles despite having to rag the revs on them to potter along at 80, conversely, my Tundra has a 4.8L V8 in it that I consider barely run in at over 150k, it rarely has to work above 1500rpm and has accrued most of those miles at little more than tickover.
As for bike engines you might just as well ask how long is a piece of string? If it's been well maintained and isn't made of Chinese cheese, then there isn't any reason why an engine of 500cc shouldn't manage 100k, engines , as a general rule of thumb, will keep going if you do the work on them as parts wear out. Many people will avoid replacing worn out bits and then wonder why the bearings that have been grumbling for a thousand miles are suddenly loose enough to send the piston someplace it should never go.

As for the usage question, there is little weather that will beat the bike before it beats you. Black ice, puddles, gravel on roads and high winds are all negotiable with appropriate caution, the more shitty weather you take on the better you should* get.

*YMMV Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, an American, you have my sympathies Wink

You won't get bikes to do a million miles like an old Merc but they have the advantage that if you had to do a complete rebuild on the engine it's feasible to do yourself and you don't need as many tools as cars and trucks (try pulling an engine just with hand tools.) TBF 2 wheels vs 4 wheels is not particularly useful comparison.

Define "commuting." Here that would typically be 1 to 100 miles but Colorado looks sparse on Google maps. If you aiming to do >100 miles in a day I'd consider a bigger engined bike.

Personally I would use my bike daily but for some reason not so much in the last year Thinking

Pinlock makes a massive difference and to a much smaller extent a helmet with a "huff guard."

jcrob33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:12 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I appreciate you all from the other side of the world.

To be clear, my Tundra has 300,000 miles.
I also have a sequoia that has 210,000 miles.

As far as commuting, it would be about 20-30 miles a day.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcrob33 wrote:
This is why I appreciate you all from the other side of the world.

As far as commuting, it would be about 20-30 miles a day.

Brits don't get Tundra's, and probably not Sequoia's, as the roads are too small. Laughing

jcrob33
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:47 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mentalboy"][quote="jcrob33"]This is why I appreciate you all from the other side of the world.

As far as commuting, it would be about 20-30 miles a day.[/quote]

Brits don't get Tundra's, and probably not Sequoia's, as the roads are too small. :lol:[/quote]

Ah yes, I can assume. They are quite big.

I also have a corolla... you guys have those right?!

That one has 250,000 miles on it. I bought it last year for $600 just for kicks.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: 3 simple question will take you 3 seconds to answer Reply with quote

jcrob33 wrote:

1. How many miles is a lot? Your GS500 has a stellar reputation for reliability and durability. In my opinion, you should easily get over 100,000 miles with regular maintenance, probably quite a bit more.

2. How many of you use your bike as your daily transportation? Count me in. Although retired, my bike is the first choice mode of transport. During the last 15 years of my career, I commuted 75 to 135 miles a day, averaging just short of 20,000 miles annually. If you are going to commute in Colorado, my advice is to get heated grips.

3. Help me with a Foggy helmet. Go fast. Get a pinlock or slit a piece of fuel line tubing and fit it over the bottom edge of your visor to allow a little air flow. Alternately, I have heard that wiping the inside of your visor with shaving cream has good anti fog properties.

Check out the attached article. Found it years ago when I got my first VFR. It will change your perspective regarding high mileage bikes. Cheers.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A million? CX has 90k on it. Other than that I've got 46k on my MZ ETZ 251. I just repair something if it breaks and carry on. I'll probably have the same vehicles in 10 years time.

Every day. Rain, shine, snow, frost.

I tend to open my visor at most junctions. My visor is rarely closed fully anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. General rule of thumb used to be 100k for a car, 50k for a bike. It's probably more like double that now for modern cars/bikes (which a GS500 isn't, to be fair).

2. Most people don't. Some do, particularly in cities.

3. Pinlock. Crack your visor open. Fog guards (looks like a fighter pilot oxygen mask) are available for some helmets. There are older spray on solutions that wear off after a while, but the first 3 options are the best ones, and in that order.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1