Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

Finally found an available time and date for my Mod 1, its on Wednesday 2nd June at 13:40. Does anyone know if they use the right-hand or left-hand test set-up? Also interested in hearing general tips for the test itself, I have heard that Mod 1 is more difficult than Mod 2 in some ways.

Not gonna lie, arse has started making buttons already.

Going to be spending Sunday afternoons practicing slalom, figure of eight, U-turns and general slow control.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:

Pull yourself together man - your're a 'Fat Angry Scotsman' it'll be nay bother.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size bike are you taking your test on? If a big bike, the cones and slalom on a 125 didn't really help me. I needed the weight of a big bike to practice on, they tip a lot easier making foot go down. In fact, I kept off my 125 when I was doing A license training so my experience was consistent.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:02 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike feels like its going to tip, open the throttle. It will stand up again.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:35 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

Finally found an available time and date for my Mod 1, its on Wednesday 2nd June at 13:40. Does anyone know if they use the right-hand or left-hand test set-up? .

If its like my test centre they change it left/right whenever the mood takes them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Pull yourself together man - your're a 'Fat Angry Scotsman' it'll be nay bother.

You're right mate. Momentary lapse only, the 99.99% of the other time I am a bastion of manliness Cool If I fail, I will have to just do the Scottish thing and malkie the tester Laughing

JustinW wrote:
What size bike are you taking your test on? If a big bike, the cones and slalom on a 125 didn't really help me. I needed the weight of a big bike to practice on, they tip a lot easier making foot go down. In fact, I kept off my 125 when I was doing A license training so my experience was consistent.

I will be doing it with Bikerite Training from Rutherglen and I think that their full-size bikes are Suzuki SV650's. The thing I am worried about most is the U-turn in case I put a foot down. I think I will be alright on the slalom and figures of eight as apparently you can get away with going about 6 mph on this and the slow control doesn't have to be 3/4 mph (walking pace), a fast walking pace of 5 mph is acceptable?

Since I am practising on a 125 which has absolutely no guts at all, I am just trying to get finesse on the clutch control - I presume that the more powerful 650cc will not need throttle adjustments, probably only clutch control and possibly a little rear brake?

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

I think I will be alright on the slalom and figures of eight as apparently you can get away with going about 6 mph on this and the slow control doesn't have to be 3/4 mph (walking pace), a fast walking pace of 5 mph is acceptable?

There is no specified speed for the slalom/figure of eight .. you do that at the speed you are most comfortable with.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important thing to get your head around is the upper body stuff; lifesavers (they expect them for all pull-aways and the U turn, plus a check of both mirrors after the emergency stop), looking where you want to go, so in the case of the U turn looking right behind you and maintaining that as you turn (don't glance at the turn itself). Figure of 8 is even more extreme as you need to be looking for the next cone and turn around it as you are completing the first - plenty of videos on youtube on this.

Yes, bike will feel different but you adapt to that bit easily enough - if you're tuned into looking in front of the wheel not at the horizon/where you want to be, that habit won't change with a change of bike and will get you into trouble.

Bikes don't tip over unless they virtually stop - usual reason for foot down on a U turn is too slow a speed (and a "preventative" foot goes down) and/or the gaze shifts to the turn itself, you lose the turn, panic and stop. These things can be practiced on a bicycle, let alone a 125.

Direction of the course; yes it's random. Circumstance can change things sometimes; when I did mine, the HGV training centre had one of their learners flatten the boundary fence the week before so we knew it could only go one way (left) which helped. This is unusual unless you intend on sabotaging the course (not recommended).

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:13 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

..... I have heard that Mod 1 is more difficult than Mod 2 in some ways.

I got caught out on the braking test first time round. In order to get an impressive stop distance I preempted the brake signal from the tester. Which meant when I went throught the speed trap, I was already braking, hence the speed reading was under the minimum. You need to get past the speed trap sensor (usually inbetween a couple of cones) before braking. Luckily you get a second attempt.

Best of luck.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the bike feels like its going to tip, open the throttle. It will stand up again.

Can't emphasise this enough. Lad in front of me failed on this when I was taking my retest. Practice *this* on your 125, you'll be amazed how quickly it does it.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:01 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

If the mod 2 is done around shitehall there's some strange roundabouts and a few other places that might catch you out depending on the route you take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKvrB2Cx4Y

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

If the mod 2 is done around shitehall there's some strange roundabouts and a few other places that might catch you out depending on the route you take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKvrB2Cx4Y

Thanks for that, I am undecided on MOD 2 location, but I was thinking about booking it for the Hamilton Test Centre. I know the area extremely well but there is a load of shite mini-roundabouts in that test area.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sv will turn in less than 2/3 of the space you have for the u turn. Just practice it using all the space you have and don't look down either. Post 16 sv is great for mod 1 as it chugs nicely at low speed.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be confident, without trying to impress the examiners .... MOD 1 is a precise art with a precise scoring matrix, there are no "bonus" points for artistic impression.

Practice makes perfect. If you do an hours training beforehand, you tend to make the mistakes you would have done on the test itself, so they are ironed out by the time you get to the test center.

Instructors are good blokes, but they take their responsibility very very seriously. Dress like you're taking it seriously too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Probably nobody cares, but I thought I'd update the thread.

Just booked my DAS with Bikerite Training in Rutherglen, Glasgow for the princely sum of £799.00.

Was told that under current regulations they are not allowed to start training people again until Monday 26th April 2021. So the following dates have been agreed so far:

Lesson 01 - Full-day on Saturday 01st May 2021,
Lesson 02 - Full-day on Sunday 02nd May 2021,
Lesson 03 - Part-day (morning) on Wednesday 05th May 2021,
MOD 1 Test - Part-day (morning) on Thursday 06th May 2021.

Remaining lesson days and MOD 2 Test to be confirmed upon completion of MOD 1 Test.[/b]

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

/\ This. But do try your best to keep it off the back wheel as much as possible.

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:44 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
UPDATE:

Was told that under current regulations they are not allowed to start training people again until Monday 26th April 2021. So the following dates have been agreed so far:

That must be a Scottish thing because training can start in England from 12th April!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
That must be a Scottish thing because training can start in England from 12th April!

Mate, wee Nippy would have us all hiding in our houses forever if it was in her power to do so. We would all have to wear Government mandated kilts and all transactions be carried out in neeps, tatties or sporrans.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:

Mate, wee Nippy would have us all hiding in our houses forever if it was in her power to do so. We would all have to wear Government mandated kilts and all transactions be carried out in neeps, tatties or sporrans.

The wee hoowur has already padlocked the gate to anyone (Kilted or not) from entering the Kingdom par avion.

Useless shower of shitre.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:50 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

Finally found an available time and date for my Mod 1, its on Wednesday 2nd June at 13:40. Does anyone know if they use the right-hand or left-hand test set-up? Also interested in hearing general tips for the test itself, I have heard that Mod 1 is more difficult than Mod 2 in some ways.

Going to be spending Sunday afternoons practicing slalom, figure of eight, U-turns and general slow control.

I've got mine sooner than that my second one failed first on u turn last time. Training starts again next thursday. My main issue with u turn was I kept pulling in the clutch about 3/4 of the way through the turn, if you are nervous and think you are going to go wide it seems counter intuitive to keep power on and just keep turning but that's exactly what you have to do.

Good luck !

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a good well controlled one handed one legged standing wheelie gets a guaranteed pass..

.....Maybe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:15 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be worried about taking a nice wide line round the end of the slalom, I tried to keep it tight and slow and nearly had to put a foot down. My instructor bollocked me afterwards for trying to be too flash.

RederOr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:35 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

They use both layouts at least they did 2019/2020. I managed to slightly lock wheel on emergency braking - the surface there is having really good grip (sandpaper like). Don't be also shy on throttle when going through speed trap, I saw ppl failing on it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre Reply with quote

RederOr wrote:
Don't be also shy on throttle when going through speed trap, I saw ppl failing on it.

It can be surprising how much beans (relatively speaking) you need to give the bike to get to the speed you need. It certainly doesn't feel natural after doing all the slow speed precision stuff to be ripping the throttle a bit after the sweeping curve.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:16 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Good luck. Reply with quote

I passed mine on Tuesday. I failed my first one on the u turn. I practiced on a pushbike over lockdown and as silly as it sounds it made me understand and get over my mental block that the bike won't fall over if it's going fast enough. I hired a 125 for a couple of hours from my school last week when it was possible again and went to a empty carpark and practiced u turns and figure 8 for two hours solid. I was knackered but when I went back to lessons on the 650 u-turns seemed the most natural thing my instructor was amazed at the difference since last time he saw me. The high speed stuff is ok I actually did emergency stop at 61kph and tester told me to dial it back for avoidance to make it easier and I actually got a minor for going through at 49 kph but I can live with that. The thing that amazed me the most was how quick it went, it felt like one minute I was sitting waiting for the gates to be opened to go in going through everything in my head next minute he was telling me to go back to gates and get ready go leave paddock ! I can't even recall doing the u turn or avoidance it's just a blur [/list]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2