Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I need your help getting (a) naked

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:34 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:
Tell me about the GSX-F?

It's a f*cking weapon. It was between that and a Z1000SX, and the Z1000SX felt like a big scooter. This manifested itself in two ways. One was the huge protective fairing and sit up and beg riding position, and the second was the inability to get it to tip in to a corner.

When I rode the GSX-S I had basically decided that it would be a better bet than the Z because of the weight, and even if it turned the same as the Z and all that I'd still probably go with it. I rode it, and it felt good. I got it to turn, but it felt like the front tyre was a bit flat? Even so I got some heat into the tyre and it felt nice. Turns out, that the tyre WAS flat on my test ride. Lucky I could look past it really because once it had a fully inflated Pilot Road 4 on it, it became sublime. Honestly I've never got on a big bike and felt like I could go so fast so easily with so little acclimatisation. After I got it, I started to wonder if I still need the Street Triple, and for me that's high praise. It doesn't feel like a monkey bike in the way the ST3 can obviously but it does feel, basically, like a sportsbike with a slightly bigger fairing and wide bars. It's ludicrous fun.

The only real downside that I can see is the brakes. They are OK but there was little feel and I wasn't a huge fan. I did a bit of asking around and it turns out the bike has a Nissin master cylinder with Brembo calipers, which don't *quite* work together perfectly so I bought a Brembo RCS master cylinder. I fitted it over the winter but have not really had a chance to try it out because of lockdowns and stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

It does use a lot of fuel when having fun, but it still has a 170 mile range so I'm hoping when I get back to my motorway commute that'll increase to 180ish which would mean I could fill up every two days instead of every day. I moved house just before lockdown and am now slightly closer to London, so I won't quite need the 200 mile range I had on my VFR.

It's nicely built and it feels like it's had a lot of thought put into it. The only real problem in this area is that the gear linkage and a few of the fasteners have nasty corrosion on them. Mine is a 2018 bike with 20,000 miles on the clock, so it's obviously been previously used as a commuter too. But if that's the only corrosion on the whole bike I'm pretty happy with that.

The Katana looks ace, and all things being equal I might have gone for one over the GSX just on looks, but the 12 litre tank with about 100 miles of range is a no-no for my commute. Also if I'm being realistic, I need a full fairing for winter commuting. If the Katana rides as well as the GSX it's a bloody great bike anyway.

Last edited by MarJay on 09:58 - 23 Feb 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: I need your help getting (a) naked Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:

I hadn't thought about that yet, they had always sort of passed my by, but got to say that photo looks delish. What sort of capacity / performance are they?

1200cc, just under a ton horsepower but loads of torque, sub 200kg just.

Fastest thing in the world no, but an exciting and engaging ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K has an r1200r, it's soooooooo much more fun than her cb1000r was. The Suzuki litre bikes weren't as upright a ride (like the z900(not rs, that was too tall)). The lean to the bars is something to consider if you're spending all day on a bike (or have a dodgy back).

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The lean to the bars is something to consider if you're spending all day on a bike (or have a dodgy back).

Yeah, I do get pretty sore pretty easily, which is why I bought the Tiger in the first place ... it will be hard to give up that heated seat! Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:23 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort is great on the GSX-S. The lean to the bars is just right for distance without putting too much pressure on my spine and backside. I don't really get why bolt upright 'adventure' bikes are seen as this super comfort thing, as I don't do very well on bikes where my torso is vertical. I get a pain in the small of my back and my backside starts to ache. If there is a slight lean forward, all of that pressure is relieved, and I can lean into the windblast a touch.

What I'd like on the GSX is a bit more protection for my hands from the elements. I am thinking of fitting either handguards or semi rigid muffs for winter use.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Comfort is great on the GSX-S. The lean to the bars is just right for distance without putting too much pressure on my spine and backside. I don't really get why bolt upright 'adventure' bikes are seen as this super comfort thing, as I don't do very well on bikes where my torso is vertical. I get a pain in the small of my back and my backside starts to ache. If there is a slight lean forward, all of that pressure is relieved, and I can lean into the windblast a touch.

Yeah, I reckon that slight lean forward is the best riding position away from track situations. Even my injured back can cope all day on a bike like that, when almost any other activity will make it sore after an hour or two.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I think Pigeon has the thicker one on his, seems to solve the problem judging by the long days in the saddle he does.

I think it's just that he's so used to having his arse looking like half a blood orange that these days a bit of saddle discomfort is nothing to him.

Maybe he meditates while he's riding, so he's not aware of anything else Laughing

Talking about ya Steve, not to ya Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 675 Street triple R, an Mt09 (2016).

Before I bought the MT09 I test rode a z900 and the 765 Street Triple R.

My thoughts:
Street 675 R -Great engine, superb handling, great brakes, comfortable and very confidence inspiring. Sounds great too, I bought a SC Project link pipe and it was borderline asbo with the baffle out.

Highly recommended.

MT09 - Mine was the improved 2016 model with abs and TC etc, ride by wire throttle not my favourite, but with the improved fueling it was never an issue. Engine is fantastic, brakes decent, handling on stock suspenders is a bit bouncy, front never felt that planted, I am only 11stone in gear. Ktech Razor R rear shock improved the handling, the KTECH IDS20 cartridge kit was too harsh for the road, I wish I went the Maxton route.
Very light bike, being narrow also made it feel small, ideal for me as a short arse.
Downside was the small tank and an uncomfy standard seat, comfort seat was an improvement and ofc the stock suspenders.

Great value for money bike for having fun, power wheelies in second, but it's not without flaws.

Z900 test ride - Buttery smooth engine and perfect throttle, very fast. Seat felt rather firm. Dash a bit basic. Nice bike.

765 Street triple R test ride - Like the 675 but more urgent, sounded great, light, superb handling, lush bike. Fancy dash too.

If I was to buy another in this class again I'd look for a Street 675R or 765R, whatever was in my budget.

Hope that helps.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:44 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Z900 test ride - Buttery smooth engine and perfect throttle, very fast. Seat felt rather firm. Dash a bit basic. Nice bike.

Which Z900 are you talking about?
This one?

https://www.cyclenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020-Kawasaki-Z900-ABS-Green-and-Black.jpg

or the retro-styled RS?
The fact you say "very fast" makes me think the former for some reason.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:35 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ibb.co/KNr0dTF/IMG-20210221-WA0018.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/S0JLpgt/IMG-20201030-WA0007.jpg

Second one was before I hacked the mudguard off the back etc etc

First one was the other day, shite pic but hey ho.

Someone asked for a description, well, where to start lol.

I used to have a Zephyr 1100 so the looks hooked me straight away.

It looks a big bike but when you ride it it feels quite compact and sporty. Quick steering and very light and flickable for that type of bike.
I rode all day with Grandson #2 on the back and hardly noticed he was there.
It's also very torquey and pulls from low down no problem.

Brakes are great, suspension fells good but isn't set for me yet.
3 mode traction control (you don't know it's there till you need it)
Comfy, I can't remember enjoying a bike as much for ages. I loved my big beemers but this is obv very different.

And looks cool as fuck.

https://i.ibb.co/jHxWwXt/IMG-20210221-WA0026.jpg

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that silver one with the green stripe in the background in the showroom photo - I saw a photo of that with the bikini fairing and nearly bought it on the spot

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:55 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Katana in black... Wow. I didn't like the spindly look of the original, but whoever did the styling job on the new one got it spot on IMO. It's just... gorgeous.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The Katana in black... Wow. I didn't like the spindly look of the original, but whoever did the styling job on the new one got it spot on IMO. It's just... gorgeous.

Just goes to show how different strokes and all that. I was thinking it's a bit gopping but could I live with it given cheap, gutsy, fun.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Just goes to show how different strokes and all that. I was thinking it's a bit gopping but could I live with it given cheap, gutsy, fun.

Yeah, I'm sort of in two minds. There's a front quarter view where it looks good imo, but in most photos it doesn't do anything for me, especially the rear. Might like it more in the flesh. It took me a while to get to like the original Katana looks, but I love the old bike now. More interested to know what it rides like though, what the power delivery is like.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:
I love that silver one with the green stripe in the background in the showroom photo - I saw a photo of that with the bikini fairing and nearly bought it on the spot

I'm still falling in love with that in green:

https://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/053118-Kawasaki-Z900RS-Cafe-02.jpg

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it looks like a proper motorbike, not a Transformer.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess tastes change, but you never really lose the influences from your younger days.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bike I've had yet, absolute beast with superb handling.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Best bike I've had yet, absolute beast with superb handling.

Good to hear you're still enjoying it. If I was after a large capacity naked, they'd definitely be on my list for consideration.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:

Yep, good looking, good performance but not hyper loopy

The Striple is quite capable of loopy, but is also easy to ride in a more sedate manner...apart from the problem of rider restraint Laughing

Quote:
Very weirdly I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to my top box, and I also find it bloody handy!

I had a top box on my third Fazer, and it was indeed very useful. But i managed to ween myself off of them on my fourth one - there is life after top boxes Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

You know, I'm usually with folks on this, but the more I look at that first Z900 I posted a pic of, the more I think I like it.

v4fun
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:37 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: I need your help getting (a) naked Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:
Hey there hive mind

I haven't ridden a great deal in lockdown, more or less not at all since August probably at a guess, went in for an MOT and remembered what I've been missing!

I'm on a Tiger 800 which I've always had mixed feelings about, and figure that for the next year with all that's going on long touring trips are going to be harder, I don't really do off-roading, and I want something lighter, slimmer, and with my feet nearer the ground. ...

Really I guess i'm looking in the naked category, but not hyper naked, mega bucks, mega power, and still able to throw some panniers and maybe a top box on for a long weekend. OR a sports tourer might suit me too.

Street Triple - enjoyed a 675 courtesy bike, the 765 sounds like it would be ace by all accounts

Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 - "odd ball" option? Looks pretty cool, never had a single. Read that they were a bit overpriced, but currently prices are low.

The 765 Striple is outstanding. Superlative handling, wonderful brakes, lovely engine note. There's not much better for a quick blast.

The Vitpilen 701 is as stylish as f***. Something to have fun with, pose with, ride around town/hipster central.

But by the sounds of it, you might really be hankering after a long ride even if you have to stay on Blighty. In which case the Z1000SX is the weapon of choice. And why not?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

You know, I'm usually with folks on this, but the more I look at that first Z900 I posted a pic of, the more I think I like it.

Yup. The current one is rakish but doesn't look like a 12 year old manga fan designed it. Unlike the MT09/MT10

Several mates have the Z900, most have had a lot of other stuff over a lifetime of riding, all rate it highly.

I still prefer mine, that you can remove the panniers and the bike looks like it never had them is a big plus point. After changing t he original tyres and having the suspension 'diddled' so i fit i've never experienced a problem with turn in. It's not nimble like my little CB500 was but then it's bigger and heavier and feels less twitchy - which i prefer. Brakes are amazing.

As a compromise bike which has to be good at lots of things it takes some beating which is why it's still in the garage. Before i'd ever replace it, i'd add a 2nd bike to the garage and see which one got ignored and sell accordingly.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few guys on the Fazer forum who wanted to upgrade to something more modern were looking at the Z1000SX as a logical next step at one time. They're a similar experience in many ways I reckon, so I really get that you have no plans to change it. I put the Striple next to my Fazer, and while I'd like to have kept both, it was the versatility of the Fazer that won out when I could only afford one bike again. Doing the mods I have done to it, I don't reckon the Zed can beat it in any way now, apart from the inbuilt luggage capacity, and it was cheaper than replacing the whole bike. And now I have something that's relatively unique too, personalised. I'd never willingly sell it.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:43 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sell a Kidney to get a FTR1200. They have the power, the looks and the handling whilst also being completely left field to the others.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4