BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Meal replacement shakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so top of a new page. I can’t be arsed point by pointing a reply to those who are against meal shakes. Here’s a few key points.

I work a 4day week, spread over 7days. Getting to the shops regular is a major inconvenience.

I make bad choices when I’m buying lunches one by one.

At the start of the year, I started a pretty intense workout regime that is having the desired effect on my strength and cardio.

For the next few months or so, I want to transform fat into muscle. A complete balanced diet will do so. (On top of regular workouts)

The easiest way to get a balanced complete meal at work is a meal shake.

Which ones taste good, which ones don’t. Which ones offer more complete nutrition than others.

I’m looking for personal experience, not suggestions on how to fix my life.

Thanks

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

only time I use them is as "recovery drinks" neck one at the end of a hard run, or cycle etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:25 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar choice around 6 months ago. Always "Not enough time for dinner today" for me.

I don't do it every day, but I regularly have Huel shakes - averaging 3 days a week probably. Come in a big bag, so all you need is a bag, a shaker, and 500-700ml of water depending on how you like it. They do taste alright, and you can either get flavour sachets or just add some form of flavouring to mix it up a bit.

They don't keep me full all day, but I find one of those and a snack is much better than what I was doing, which was going to Greggs every day. I now have a sensible calorie intake most days (until I start including the beer Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use ‘Dunns River’ supplement meal drinks.
In a tin at the chemist.
Chocolate, vanilla, and banana (my favourite) flavours.
Worked for me as an alternative to a light meal or as a drink with my meal when I was trying to add weight.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frog wrote:
I made a similar choice around 6 months ago. Always "Not enough time for dinner today" for me.

I don't do it every day, but I regularly have Huel shakes - averaging 3 days a week probably. Come in a big bag, so all you need is a bag, a shaker, and 500-700ml of water depending on how you like it. They do taste alright, and you can either get flavour sachets or just add some form of flavouring to mix it up a bit.

They don't keep me full all day, but I find one of those and a snack is much better than what I was doing, which was going to Greggs every day. I now have a sensible calorie intake most days (until I start including the beer Wink )

This is dead on what I’m thinking of doing. How’s the taste of the Huel stuff? Did you get the regular stuff or the black?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Okay, so top of a new page. I can’t be arsed point by pointing a reply to those who are against meal shakes. Here’s a few key points.

I work a 4day week, spread over 7days. Getting to the shops regular is a major inconvenience.

I make bad choices when I’m buying lunches one by one.

At the start of the year, I started a pretty intense workout regime that is having the desired effect on my strength and cardio.

For the next few months or so, I want to transform fat into muscle. A complete balanced diet will do so. (On top of regular workouts)

The easiest way to get a balanced complete meal at work is a meal shake.

Which ones taste good, which ones don’t. Which ones offer more complete nutrition than others.

I’m looking for personal experience, not suggestions on how to fix my life.

Thanks

Well if you ever DO look for points to fix your life then you can't do much better than coming on here. Smile

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Well if you ever DO look for points to fix your life then you can't do much better than coming on here. Smile

In a Jim’ll fix it sort of way?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
MCN wrote:

In a Jim’ll fix it sort of way?

Now then. Now then. Now then.
Lads and lassies. Sick

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Meal replacement shakes Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
I drive for a living (yeah yeah, putting that degree to good use I know Wink ). My breaks are often in lay-bys with no access to microwaves etc. Some weeks I work 8days straight and cannot be arsed going to the supermarket to restock on fresh stuff to make sandwiches, or salads or anything else like that. Also, bollocks to fannying around making a several days worth of food when sometimes I’m lucky to have 6hours at home between shifts. I need something as convenient as walking into a sandwich shop or petrol station and grabbing stuff that’s ready to eat. Hence the shakes.

I understand that eating pattern and wonder how easy is it to utilise shakes if it's tricky to assemble anything else?
Getting into a habit of prepping the same shit daily is tiresome but easy, keeps me out of the garage goodies and only requires a coolbox/knapsack, etc and a couple of minutes before flying out of the door. No more effortless than overpriced powdery muck that needs mixing up.
Fruit, while not particularly appealing to refined sugar junkies, requires zero prep and bags of assorted nuts last forever.
Tinned fish, if you can stomach it, is a piece of piss to stock up on and also requires no prep, just don't forget a fork. Laughing
Sigg bottles with water, squash, juice or gin if you must...
Steel bodied Thermos flasks will take a beating and don't ever need washing out if you keep milk out of them...

In short, a little forethought means that you don't have to be doomed to a lifetime of cheese and pickle sandwiches or shake stuffs and stocking up on long lasting goods means that you'll be ready to bunker down when the supermarket shelves empty out, again...

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Meal replacement shakes Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Blah, blah, blah

Mate, if you want to sprinkle birdseed on top of something that smells like it was scraped from a smack-whore’s vagina... be my guest. No one is stopping you. Me, I’m after advice on protein/complete meal shakes.

(I should add, I love fresh fish. Eat loads of it, but the tinned stuff just smells and tastes rancid!)

Edit: Just read that back and it comes across a bit harsh. But seriously dude, without me going into a teflonian wall of text, please accept my assurance that I’ve considered all angles and this is the one that suits me/my life.

Frog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:13 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
How’s the taste of the Huel stuff? Did you get the regular stuff or the black?

I find it pretty good. I went with the regular stuff, and I occasionally chuck some flavouring in.

If you do get a bag or two (if they still do it, there’s a new customer deal which is pretty good... and you can pause it as soon as it starts if you don’t like it), it’s worth getting the flavouring just to mix it up and see what you like.

I’m getting bored of the berry one, but I’ve had quite a bit now, and I’m still happily chugging away on the banana flavour.

I haven’t tried any of the others so I can’t compare, but I’d recommend huel as a meal replacement if that’s what you’re looking for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2