Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Road_Slayer34
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:43 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

Fellow Riders:

I would like to ask your opinion on the motorcycle grand tour we are planning to do with a friend. Currently we are discussing over where to do it.

Option 1 İtaly;
Starting from Torino, Mondovi, Genoa, Manarola, Pistoia, Florence, Borgo san Lorenzo, San Marino,

Option 2 Spain;
Starting from Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Seville, Cadiz.

We especially enjoy Mountainous and seaside regions with curvy roads and nice views. The cultural expedition is also very much desirable but second priority. Please feel free to give your comments/advice on the routes, stays, pit-stops and any other things to do while GTing. Thank you in advance

Cheers

O.G

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know an awful lot about Italy, only really sampled biking there, but I'm not sure your destinations include much in the way of mountain scenery? I'd be headed for the Dolomites for that I think. I particularly wanted to base myself in or around Cortina d'Ampezzo for a few days when I was thinking about this.
For the coast part, I always wanted to ride down along the Amalfi coast, which I get the impression is very picturesque.

Again with Spain, not sure what you'll find in the way of mountain scenery in the places you have mentioned but I can heartily recommend a few days in the Picos de Europa, and also the N260 down the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. Easy to dip into France too from this route.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

omerg wrote:

We especially enjoy Mountainous and seaside regions with curvy roads and nice views.

So why are you listing cities? If you want good riding, stay away from them.

Some of the best riding is in rural Spain, especially the less populated regions. They are poorer, with less culture, but Spain has built amazing roads in areas with few inhabitants, perhaps to revitalise areas which are being abandoned. You can get roads which are as good as Brands Hatch all to yourself. You might see one car in half an hour. The downside is that the food in the towns is samey, just the same cheap tapas everywhere. No museums. But every day is like a track day.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:55 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I always wanted to ride down along the Amalfi coast, which I get the impression is very picturesque.

Amalfi coast is one narrow squiggly road clogged with traffic. Even a bike can get stuck. It's fun if you enjoy London riding. And it's expensive and heaving with German tourists. Beautiful places, but the best transport there would be to rent a dinghy with a put-put outboard motor.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain has more to offer, why not consider Picos De Europa which has some similarities with the Dolomites. The Pyrenees are fantastic too.
Beware of covering big distances rather than taking several days properly exploring in the 'best bits'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:53 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Spain the coast has been pretty much ruined by overdevelopment. Coastal roads can look great on the map but when you get there the roads are full and the views are ruined. The interior is completely different.

Back in the '20s the Spanish government established a national network of hotels for the benefit of car owners. They wanted to foster national unity by encouraging the Spanish to visit other parts of Spain. They thought the new-fangled automobile could help. The hotels were about 80 miles apart, with 80 miles seen as one day's drive. Not many new hotels were built - being the government, they just took over lots of historic buildings - castles, monasteries etc - and converted them. They called them the Paradores. Many of them are still going. The ones in touristy areas cost a fortune, and they subsidise the ones which nobody goes to, which may be just as beautiful but they're in the dying rural parts where everyone is leaving to live in the cities. You can get some amazing bargains and chances are there'll be some of the best mountain roads you've ever seen within half an hour. (Spain has countless mountain ranges you've never heard of.) So if you want to find biking heaven, you could start by looking up the cheapest paradores. https://www.paradores-spain.com/ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/articles/best-parador-hotels-in-spain/

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Northern Spain. Absolutely epic up there - amazing roads, no traffic

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:09 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of Italy is fairly limited but the Dolomites and the rest of the Alps are generally busy. Have been to San Marino and apart from the MotoGP at Misano found it a complete non event. Italy can also be expensive.

I agree with chickenstrip and others regarding Picos De Europa and the Spanish Pyrenees. We've been to the Pyrenees 3 years out of the last 4. If it's awesome riding on superb roads with little traffic you want then there's nowhere I'm aware of in Europe that offers so much. If you want to do the city visits, I can identify with that - it's nice to have something to do in the evenings. We've used Vielha as a base for 3 or 4 days on all our visits. It's got a few nice restaurants and bars and is located close to the French border. Lots of great day routes from here.

If you do choose the Spanish Pyrenees the N260 runs from West to East with Barcelona at the eastern end. There's numerous routes off the N260 that are stunning in their own right and as chickenstrip says zig-zagging into France via many of the deserted Cols is another option. As cities go, Barcelona is hard to beat but be prepared for very heavy traffic and ensure your accommodation provides secure parking for the bikes if you decide to visit.
If you do loosely follow the N260 be sure to do the Collada de Toses. If you like fast, challenging riding the downhill from the top of the pass to Ripoll is hard to beat.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 22 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pyrenees are wonderful.

Pop down to the Spanish plains and enjoy flat fast roads and Barcelona. Go over into France ogle the pilgrims at Lourdes or pop over to Millau and marvel at the bridge.

Wonderful roads with fabulous scenery and some amazing villages that the inhabitants look at you as if you are aliens, but try and chat in their language and they are incredibly friendly.

The only thing I would say is if you stay in Barcelona, make sure you get a hotel with an underground garage or secure parking. It's much safer for your bike.

Road_Slayer34
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:55 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the insightful replies.

Looks like Spain it is! What would your be advice on the route of;

Starting from Barcelona along the coast to valencia then Madrid, Then up north to Picos de europa. Then heading east to Bilbao, Lourdes and finishing at Barcelona

Also on another topic: I just turned 21 and recieved my full motorcycle license this year, but have been riding for 5 years and have done more than 10K on two wheels. Unfortunately given my youth most of the renting companies are VERY reluctant in renting to me (Even though I will be riding with my responsible/experienced father). Hence any suggestions for more easy going rental companies or any advice on how to convince the more strict ones?

Cheers

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:53 - 23 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get down to andalucia the roads around Ronda are amazing twisties that go on forever, I went there last year coming back from Jerez motogp was well impressed never tried Picos though thats next on my list Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road_Slayer34 wrote:
Unfortunately given my youth most of the renting companies are VERY reluctant in renting to me

Dunno, I suspect you'll struggle though. Have you not considered taking your own bike - e.g. overnight ferry from Plymouth/Portsmouth - Santander/Bilbao?

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 15:52 - 24 Feb 2020; edited 1 time in total

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:10 - 24 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road_Slayer34 wrote:
Hence any suggestions for more easy going rental companies or any advice on how to convince the more strict ones?

Cheers

Take your own bike, it'll be more fun. I dunno about the boats but the shuttle is good value, especially on a bike. Find some nice roads in France on the way and enjoy the ride.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Madrid - put off by the size. Skirted around it and visited Cuenca and Segovia instead... In fact stayed in the Cuenca Paradore once..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 340 days between these two posts...

JohnD1963
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Italy, rode mainly in the North of the country. Motorways are very congested, bad drivers, usually the motorways are two lanes, badly maintained and expensive tolls. My experience in Spain was much the opposite. I've travelled down the East Coast a few times and personally it was way more enjoyable.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:49 - 15 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden through the Picos , down around Madrid doing towns with medieval centers before heading over to Murcia.

I've ridden loads of places in Europe and that area was absolutely amazing. The best of all the places I've done.

v4fun
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

Road_Slayer34 wrote:
Fellow Riders:

I would like to ask your opinion on the motorcycle grand tour we are planning to do with a friend. Currently we are discussing over where to do it.

Option 1 İtaly;
Starting from Torino, Mondovi, Genoa, Manarola, Pistoia, Florence, Borgo san Lorenzo, San Marino,

Italy is best for food, wine, historical monuments, fashion and gorgeous people. The B roads can be graveled, and the A roads can be insane. Fun.

Road_Slayer34 wrote:

Option 2 Spain;
Starting from Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Seville, Cadiz.

Northern Spain is best for outstanding rural roads, mountainous countryside, Parador hotels (castles & mansions you can stay in - you deserve a treat! - https://www.paradoresofspain.com), decent wine, fresh local food, and lovely, friendly people. Note that if you include the Picos de Europa and the Pyrenees you'll have plenty to explore. You don't have to go south of Madrid.

It's a hard choice but I'd say, do Spain first. Then Italy the following year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:57 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

Road_Slayer34 wrote:

We especially enjoy Mountainous and seaside regions with curvy roads and nice views. The cultural expedition is also very much desirable but second priority. Please feel free to give your comments/advice on the routes, stays, pit-stops and any other things to do while GTing. Thank you in advance

Cheers

O.G

I did a few spanish trips this year. In fact yesterday I went from Navacerrada to Rascafría in the mountains near Madrid and it was really really beautiful. You can explore the mountains around Madrid in roughly a day. Then if you go West towards Avila on the M-505/CL-505 that is a beautiful riding road, loads of sweeping curves. And you go past El Escorial. Maybe from Avila you can go to the mountains on the border with Portugal?

HOWEVER, between Madrid and Sevilla (also a trip I have done) its flat and boring highway. Maybe you can take a less direct route I don't know. I've also done Madrid to Asuturias/Oviedo in the north and it was the same. The north is really really beautiful. If you are starting in Barcelona I would suggest going along the north coast to A Coruña. The N-630 from Oviedo down to the mountains is the best road I've ridden in Spain. Spend a few days travelling West from the pyrenees to Oviedo. Spend a few days relaxing in Oviedo or Aviles (different to Avila) And take the N-630 up into the mountains for a coffee and back. Go to Covadonga one day. Go to Salinas Beach. It's a great place.

Sevilla is my favourite city in Spain. I lived there a month. Its beautiful. My motorbike broke down when I was there (Rode a 125cc 500km in a day loaded with luggage, red lining it down the highway to hit 90km/h. I think I fried the electrics because the stator was working at 100% for 12 hours on end) so I couldn't explore the scenery near Sevilla. However, I don't think it has many mountains.

The problem with Spain is the middle of the country is just grass. For miles. Hours. Just flat grass. The north is beautiful. Madrid has mountains. The south and andalusia... I haven't had chance to explore the scenery but it is nice as a place.

In 2 months I am going to do Barcelona to Malaga along the east coast. PM me in some months and maybe I can give you more advice.

Right now, going by what you said, if you want mountains, do the north coast of Spain. The weather is much more changeable there though. Its super hot some days and rains others. The rain rolls off the ocean, but gets stuck on the mountains and thats why the rest of Spain is so dry. I reckon I nearly died of hypothermia in the mountains there. It was August so I only took my vented summer jacket. On the day I needed to leave and drive towards Leon it was pissing it down. I got drenched in minutes and it was a good 2 hours or so to get through the mountains with no place to stop and warm up. As soon as I cleared the mountains and was in Castilla y Leon it was blue skies and sun.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I've never been to Madrid - put off by the size. Skirted around it and visited Cuenca and Segovia instead... In fact stayed in the Cuenca Paradore once..

This is a good point driving through Madrid is awful. Can take the M-30 and M-40 to skirt around it. If you go too close to the city centre you will get fined. The mountains to the north are definitely worth seeing but avoid the city itself.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Right now, going by what you said, if you want mountains, do the north coast of Spain. The weather is much more changeable there though. Its super hot some days and rains others. The rain rolls off the ocean, but gets stuck on the mountains and thats why the rest of Spain is so dry.

..and that's why it's called Green Spain! not unlike our west Country
only without the crowds and the Padstow Bourgeoisie - they even drink some sort of Cider there.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:18 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Tour: Spain vs Italy Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

Right now, going by what you said, if you want mountains, do the north coast of Spain. The weather is much more changeable there though. Its super hot some days and rains others. The rain rolls off the ocean, but gets stuck on the mountains and thats why the rest of Spain is so dry.

..and that's why it's called Green Spain! not unlike our west Country
only without the crowds and the Padstow Bourgeoisie - they even drink some sort of Cider there.

Asturian sidre... a must try! And Cachopo... In asturias you can get a bloody good tortilla for £1 too.

I had cochinillo - roast pigglet in Rascafria... If anyone finds themselves near there PM me for the restaurant's name. It was the best food I've eaten in all my life.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ.
Looking at your profile/posts, I see you ride a Hyosung GT125R.
And you’ve been a good few places on it.

Tell us about it.
I’m genuinely interested in how you got on using a smaller cc bike for a big trip?
Also my Hyosung GT125r is coming along and should be on the road this year.
I won’t be going as far as Italy or Spain, but I might just might get a ferry across to somewhere maybe.
That said, most of my trips are on to a 250.

Great Fun on Small Bikes , on Facebook Thumbs Up

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:06 - 16 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
CorriganJ.
Looking at your profile/posts, I see you ride a Hyosung GT125R.
And you’ve been a good few places on it.

Tell us about it.
I’m genuinely interested in how you got on using a smaller cc bike for a big trip?
Also my Hyosung GT125r is coming along and should be on the road this year.
I won’t be going as far as Italy or Spain, but I might just might get a ferry across to somewhere maybe.
That said, most of my trips are on to a 250.

Great Fun on Small Bikes , on Facebook Thumbs Up

Yeah sold it a month ago. Erm... It was a bit shit, but all 125s would be shit for touring. I could get me, panniers and a suitcase on it and hit about 55mph on the highway. So a 500km trip took a bloody long time. Or me and a pillion and the same. When it was just me it was okay fun in the twisties to be fair.

I did Madrid to Oviedo, Oviedo to Salamanca, Salamanca to Madrid. 2,000km in all. Had some elctrical issues due to 40 degree days where I was redlining the engine for 8 - 12 hours at a time. Considering the punishment I gave the poor thing it did bloody well.

The big problem was altitude. I guess because it was carbureted. I remember at about 2000m altitude it just had no air and was struggling to hit 20mph on the uphil. I did the same stretch of road at the weekend on a Yamaha N Max 125 scooter and it managed the same road easy. I'm guessing because its newer and FI. Maybe newer GT125 with FI would also be okay? Dunno.

Did the first part of my Mod 1 on a CB500F today and the difference is unreal. For a 125 it is meant to be powerful but... nothing compares to a bigger bike. The Hyosung wasn't the most reliable bike, but it was fairly cheap to fix and it was 16 years old so problems are to be expected I guess.

If you're looking at a 125 for touring maybe look at the Varadero? Honda build quality should be better. Or a newer GT125 with FI and less likely to have electrical issues. If you can get on a 250 though... do it. No fun touring on a 125 when you have the option of something bigger. The only reason I did was because of Coronavirus I couldn't come back to the UK to do my Mod 1 and 2. In the end I took the plunge and am doing them here in Spain. The theory was a ballache, but passed second time. Have my mod 1 in a month. Itching to get back onto something bigger.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 16 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er no! I certainly wouldn’t tour Italy or Spain on any 125 Shocked !
Hats off to those that do.

I was just interested Thumbs Up
I’d dig out my ZX6r if I was going a long way (Continental).

Bikegoddess89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:28 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there! you have some very nice tours here, which I myself am thinking about doing sometime.

In the north of Italy (in Southtyrol, the region where there are also the Dolomites) is the famous Stelvio, a winding pass road with 48 hairpin bends. The road is 25 km long and reaches an altitude of 2757 m. The panorama from the top is breathtaking. You might like that, since you're into mountain roads. Normally, the pass is open to traffic in the months from late May to about November.
Unfortunately, it has to be said there is a lot of traffic to be expected (cars, cyclists, motorcyclists). Among other things, Top Gear could be responsible for this, as they have chosen the road to the Stelvio as the "world greatest driving road".

Have a great day!

Sarah Bentley
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2