Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LED headlight upgrade question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Severeign
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:54 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: LED headlight upgrade question Reply with quote

Electrics ain’t my strong point so all ideas welcome. I’m upgrading the headlight on a Suzuki GSR600 to an LED light. The H4 connection is ‘plug and play’ but there is also a daytime running light wire which powers the two smaller LED strips (pictured top and bottom).

The stock headlight also has two smaller bulbs powered by the connector pictured. Originally I’d thought of just splicing the drl wire into the low beam wire on the loom but is there a way to connect the one wire from the new headlight to the two wires pictured? Is this a viable power source for the drl?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

tap it into an Orange wire

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the electrics and/or wire colours on your bike specifically like WD appears to but I'll try to expand on it anyway...

So let me get this right...

That black connector pictured bottom right is the original plug from your bike that goes into the back of the headlight cluster to power the sidelight? If so then yes, you can use it to power you DRLs. One of the wires will be live and the other earth. Just need to find out which is which. Getting the wrong one won't damage anything so feel free to do trial and error. 50% chance of getting it right first time.

Otherwise if you've got use of a voltmeter, anything that shows live with ignition on and no voltage when it's off would be fine also.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRL connector is the positive side of those top & bottom LED strips and the negative side goes to the negative on the 3-pin main headlight connector. This is not a problem, the negative is shared between most components on a motorbike.

Connect up the 3-pin and check the hi/lo beam works. Run a wire from the LED DRL connector to one of the bike's DRL pins. Nothing? Try the other one. Then the only decision is which connector you replace to match the other, LED DRL or bike DRL.

Scotsrick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the headlight regs are changing with regards to MOT testing:-

Quoted from the updates provided by the DVSA.

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsrick wrote:

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Sentence changed from 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Good news I say. Most HID / LED units in reflectors / lenses designed for incandescent bulbs just spew light all over the place. If I had my way i'd give coppers the power to slap prohibition notices on bikes such modified.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsrick wrote:

The way I read it, this doesn't apply here. I think what that's saying is you can't use a reflector headlamp designed for a halogen bulb and convert it / replace the bulb with an HID or LED bulb. This isn't being converted, it's being totally replaced. So long as the replacement unit is purpose-built and E-marked you shouldn't have a problem. To pick a bike at random take the Rebel 500, up to 2020 they had halogen headlamps but since 2020 they had LED headlamps. I assume you'd be perfectly fine to replace the halogen unit on a 2018 model with an LED unit from a 2021 model. Just not put an HID conversion kit or LED bulb in the original housing.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
The way I read it, this doesn't apply here. I think what that's saying is you can't use a reflector headlamp designed for a halogen bulb and convert it / replace the bulb with an HID or LED bulb. This isn't being converted, it's being totally replaced.

This seems like a reasonable interpretation of the rule to me. Wink

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ wot he said. Changing the whole unit should be ok, should depending on the beam pattern and how much your tester gives a shit.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:21 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way bulbs and LED/HID emit light is totally different. The filament in a light glows and emits light all over, some shines out of the front, most reflects off the reflector from the optical centre in some fashion or other giving a beam , some of which is occluded to give a dipped beam ( basically the light that will shine up is cut off).

LED/HID shine intensively, but only within a limited angle so a regular reflector just shines it all over the place as we all know.

Specifically designed LED/HID headlamps, great , £5 quid ebay 'bright but shite' special no chance. A sensible piece of legislation, unless you enjoy being dazzled. .

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting HID to halogen reflectors has always been illegal for road use.
The Police could always give a compliance order to fix it or issue a NIP.
But like exhaust mods and or engine performance mods it's not always simple to measure.

And people can d what people do and present a legal unit for MOT then swap when passed.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related area, are there any rules regarding indicators to be aware of? I hate the stock ones on my xj6 and would like to upgrade to led but have seen some ones which do the progressive lighting up thing, would they be OK or should I just get normal flashing?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
On a related area, are there any rules regarding indicators to be aware of? I hate the stock ones on my xj6 and would like to upgrade to led but have seen some ones which do the progressive lighting up thing, would they be OK or should I just get normal flashing?

I believe they need to:
Be of a certain brightness
Show a visible light all around and from certain angles above too.
Not leak white light.
And flash on and off at a certain frequency.
And not present a hazard to pedestrians in the event of collision.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they need to:
Be of a certain brightness
Show a visible light all around and from certain angles above too.
Not leak white light.
And flash on and off at a certain frequency.
And not present a hazard to pedestrians in the event of collision.[/quote]

These are what I'm looking to get https://www.ledperf.co.uk/sequential-led-indicators-for-yamaha-xj6-n-p-37001.html

I just don't want to go spend money then have a bloody MOT fail.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, if they're E-marked I really can't see you having a problem.

Most aftermarket LED indicators consume less current than the stock bulbs and will result in rapid flashing unless you either put an inline resistor on each side (R&G do a plug and play one that's inexpensive) or replace the flasher relay with one designed for use with LEDs. Even if it's E-marked it should fail the MOT if they're flashing too fast so make sure you do one or the other. I recommend replacing the relay, much easier and makes for a tidier job without having to chop into wires etc.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 19 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that link you sent a bit more closely I see they are E-marked AND come with the resistors so you should be good to go Thumbs Up

Severeign
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:33 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. Dropped in to see my usual mechanic (who does my MOTs) and he said “it’s got the correct marking, all down to the beam pattern when it comes to the MOT’ which is fair enough (been using this garage for years and I trust his judgement). Will install and keep fingers crossed it gets through the test. If not it’s not the end of the world, can just put the stock light back on (even if it is ugly as sin) until I find another.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severeign wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Dropped in to see my usual mechanic (who does my MOTs) and he said “it’s got the correct marking, all down to the beam pattern when it comes to the MOT’ which is fair enough (been using this garage for years and I trust his judgement). Will install and keep fingers crossed it gets through the test. If not it’s not the end of the world, can just put the stock light back on (even if it is ugly as sin) until I find another.

You should check out the indicators I've looked at they would go well with your Led light set-up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1