Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Mash 50cc or Honda 90

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crunchy62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: New Mash 50cc or Honda 90 Reply with quote

Newbie here!

Torn between these two. I was about to pull the trigger on a fully restored Honda 90 (On an AM license but due to do my training in a couple of months).

Advantage of the Mash 50 is I can ride it now on my AM license all be it at a restricted speed until I have my training done. Disadvantage is it needs a 1000Km run in so I could only do slower speed and it would probably take me a year to do 1000Km as it's just a good weather hobby thing.

Honda ... Advantage is it's a good investment.
The Missus hates it and I can't ride it until I have training done

What do you think I should do?

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mash is 2.8 bhp that would be painfully slow to ride and I wouldn't even want to think about any hills. How old are you ? If you didn't pass you car test before Feb 2001 you can't ride any size moped or bike without a CBT . If you did then you would be old enough to ride a 125 if that's the case why would you not go 125 ?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:34 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

Not a choice of which, but why?

Unless you are 16 don't bother.

if you are 16 why are you considering a restored classic you can't ride.

If you are over 16 the insurance on a restored classic will rape you.

Just... why?

Crunchy62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:23 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: New Mash 50cc or Honda 90 Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
The Mash is 2.8 bhp that would be painfully slow to ride and I wouldn't even want to think about any hills. How old are you ? If you didn't pass you car test before Feb 2001 you can't ride any size moped or bike without a CBT . If you did then you would be old enough to ride a 125 if that's the case why would you not go 125 ?

Well, I'm 59 so can ride a "Moped" which is what the Mash 50 is classed as. So was thinking ride it around until I do my CBT and then derestrict it. If I get anything over 50cc I can't ride it until i do my CBT in a few months.
I could wait of course until I've done the CBT but the Honda I'm looking at is immaculate and I'm afraid of missing out on it

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:29 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing sure, you're better off getting the missus on board. What's she got against the Honda 90? Doesn't she know; you meet the nicest people on a Honda. Oh, wait, maybe that's what she is afraid of. Thinking If that be the case, maybe you should consider spongefinger's advice and look at a YBR. Likely you would be happier in the long run, and better performance with the missus riding pillion.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:21 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopeds are dangerous because they are so fucking slow.

I wouldn't let my kids have one but I would let them have a bike of 100-125cc.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't ride a C90 on an AM licence, so that might swing the decision ...

EDIT: Sorry, think I misread your post!

In which case ... neither. Get a 125.

Last edited by Evil Hans on 10:11 - 25 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:07 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where you live. If you live in the middle of a city then the Mash would probably be be ok. If you have to ride on any roads with a speed limit over 30 then you are going to end up as someone's bonnet ornament. The C90 is not exactly fast, but on that you will be far less likely to end up getting squished by an HGV. But then as you need a CBT for a C90, you may as well buy a 125 and actually be able to keep up with traffic.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:49 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Cbt Reply with quote

I can certainly agree with your impatience to get on a bike as my training has been constantly cancelled over the last year but if you have waited 59 years another couple of months to do your CBT will be well worth the wait. If you have your heart set on the Honda got for it it's your dream not anyone elses but personally if I was going to go through the bother of a CBT might as well get something with a bit more poke that will make riding more enjoyable. It may also be worth while wait6 because once you have done your CBT on a 125 it may completely change your mind about what you want.

But as the saying goes "You ride your ride."

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:35 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the idea of as C90, I think you should get a supercub.

C90 styling, high end build quality, modern brakes and performance.

The only real downside is price.

That said, if I was in the market for a 125, I'd get a honda grom. Because they are cool as fuck.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If you are over 16 the insurance on a restored classic will rape you.

What?! When did this happen? Last I paid for a vintage bike was ~£80 per year.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:48 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

True. My '91 VFR750 (100bhp, 150mph) is cheaper to insure than my '07 Enfield 350 (15bhp, 55mph).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

True. My '91 VFR750 (100bhp, 150mph) is cheaper to insure than my '07 Enfield 350 (15bhp, 55mph).

Same here, my '96 VFR is cheaper than the 2014 125 to insure, normal policy, no classic or limited mileage.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy neither. The Mash will be frustrating crap and you'll take a real hit selling it on. Old Cubs look cool but the reality of riding them is they are shit with no redeeming features.

CBT and then either a 125 or straight to proper licence.

stinkwheel wrote:

Throw it in an old frame my "1991" 350 costs £37 a year Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1