Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do some windscreens scratch more/less than others?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Do some windscreens scratch more/less than others? Reply with quote

My ‘03 R1 has a clear MRA screen which gives a little extra protection without looking too different from the stock item. Nominally it’s a “double-bubble” but you wouldn’t know to look at it, it’s subtle. Over the years the surface has picked up quite a few small blemishes all over. I’m not talking about single scratches here but the cumulative effect is ugly.

Last year I used an anti-scratch kit which improved the general appearance a little, but now I’m thinking of getting a new screen.

When I look at the ZX6R’s screen it has far fewer marks. That aftermarket screen came with the bike and there are no clues as to the manufacturer.

TL:DR - Generally happy with MRA screens but wonder if they scratch more easily. Any recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tinted Puig screen on my first VFR that worked well and did not degrade over the six years (57,000 miles) that I rode that bike. A quick search shows that they make a screen for the '03 R1

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-racing-windscreen-yamaha-r1-2002-2003?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7GGso_T7wIVQx-tBh3itQAoEAQYBCABEgL-qvD_BwE&sku_id=874623

< PS. Just noticed. There it is on my avatar pic.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up But it looks like all Puig have left are dark smoke, orange or yellow, and the dark smoke is darker than I’d like. I was just wondering if old-stock will have suffered UV and other degradation already but MRA say they make to order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:01 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens comes in different grades.

Hardness, ductility etc.

My K1300 has a Shop-Front of a screen I think about 26k miles but still flawless.

https://www.curbellplastics.com/Research-Solutions/Plastic-Properties/Acrylic-vs-Polycarbonate

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so Puig and Ermax are acrylic (PMMA), and MSA say they use a unique aircraft grade material so it’s probably a combination, maybe polycarbonate with an acrylic coat. Aircraft use polycarbonate, acrylic or both (and glass).

Polycarbonate is stronger than acrylic.

Acrylic is optically clearer.

Acrylic sheet can be polished to a smooth finish, but you can't polish polycarbonate.

Acrylic has better scratch resistance than polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate is more expensive.

Regardless, there’s not exactly a wide selection for an 18 year old bike. Maybe I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

https://www.cutmyplastic.co.uk/guides/which-plastic-should-you-choose/

https://www.mecaplex.ch/en/transparencies.html

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/21802/what-kind-of-materials-is-being-used-for-fighter-jets-glass-shields
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1