Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Preparation and Kit for my CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

2wheelwanker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:58 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Preparation and Kit for my CBT Reply with quote

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum and wanted to get some advice, specifically from anyone who has done their CBT in the past year.

I've got mine booked in 3 weeks now and have been told I need to get my own gloves and helmet, however, no shops are open at the moment for fitting etc so I am wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on ordering one online? How much I should be paying etc

I've read that helmets can vary in fitting depending on brands so I am worried if I order one and it's loose. Gloves are not a major concern but any tips would be appreciated.

And finally, any useful advice for me in preparation for my CBT.

Thank you in advance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bit of a sticky wicket at the moment, you have my sympathies. All I can suggest is finding an online retailer with a robust returns policy. If you have the funds order a few helmets and send back the ones that don't fit.

Do you have any friends who'd let you try out their gear? Obviously people cagey about such things given the current situation.

Gloves are gloves... just get something that you like the look of for your first pair. Most sites will have measuring guides to give a rough idea of sizing.

No boots? This for a scooter or a bike?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the school you are learning with can provide the gear if they are providing the bike? That's the norm. Unless you are on your own bike, but you wont be able to ride it to the CBT test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Surely the school you are learning with can provide the gear if they are providing the bike? That's the norm. Unless you are on your own bike, but you wont be able to ride it to the CBT test.

Bikerite were the guys I used in Rutherglen up here and they demand people bring their own gear because of COVID:

As for CBT gear:

1. You’ll need a helmet, I saw a guy on here get one from Halfords that’s ECE compliant for £35. My CBT helmet was a Scorpion EXO 490 for £110,
2. Gloves you can get away with summer ones now I got Oxford Brisbane’s for £20,
3. Jacket I got a Richa Phantom II but you don’t need a CE rated one as the school won’t stop you riding as long as the jacket looks sturdy,
4. Trousers = just wear your normal jeans,
5. Boots = just wear you normal boots. As long as they go above the ankles the school won’t stop you riding.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:19 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Own gloves and helmet’ - does that mean they are providing a jacket, trousers and boots?

A part of CBT is explaining how to check your helmet fits, why you need a proper jacket and protection and why trainers are not for riding a motorcycle. It seems a bit after the fact in this case. I know COVID blah blah blah but how hard is it to have a few helmets and a tin of disinfectant spray?!

Are there any alternatives nearby?

Helmets are very individual, nowhere nearby letting you try stuff on? TBF you could order 3 sizes and find that none of them are any use to you as it may be too loose, tight on the chin etc.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently picked up a helmet for £30 from halfords. easy enough to return/replace if your not happy. im well pleased at what i got for the price.
i also got a leather jacket from amazon. a Bikers Gear, The Rocker motorcycle jacket. its made in Australia, is comfortable to wear, seems to be very well made, and comes with a removable lining and armor.
best of all is the price. depending on your size, from around £55.
excellent value in my book Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2wheelwanker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies.

I've been searching and still cannot find any shops which are still open for me to go into and try on. I wish I had mates who were into bikes, as that would help me massively but that's out of the question.

The training centre have said they will not provide a helmet or gloves due to COVID and have not mentioned anything about whether I'd get a jacket and boots etc. I'll get on the phone to them and ask if this is provided or not.

I'm doing the Manual CBT as I'd like to start off with a Yamaha YBR 125 or a Honda CBF125 and then gradually get into the higher range. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a Vespa after I've passed.

The main purpose of the bike will be to commute into work but I still need to sell my car so at the moment, I want to spend minimal money on gear etc.

In the first instance, I may check our Halfrauds for some helmet and gloves as I don't mind buying cheap stuff for the test and then buying the proper stuff in the summer when I hopefully start properly and when shops are open again.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very highly you'll find a training school that will allow multi-pupil-use of their pre-covid "borrowed" gear, and if you do I'd be questioning their approach to covid secure measures. Its all a bit bananas, but best to be healthy.

Likewise you wont find (not legally, at least) a motorbike outlet currently open as non-essential retail is closed.

To avoid the to-and-fro you'll want a measuring tape (the soft type used by suit tailors etc). Sportsbikeshop is the best place to order things that you might have to send back, but you'll need a printer to print the returns label onto the box (and then find a certain courier shop nearby to take it to).

Everything but helmets can be purchased un-seen in the hope they'll fit, but helmets are very specific (shape and size). No one size fits all, or brand. You may find one you like the look of but find that it isn't suitable to you. Depends how generic or oddly shaped your head is. One that sits just above your eye brows and doesn't move freely from your head when un-tightened and pushed around (rocked back and forwards, and side to side) is a sign of a good fit.

RST is a balance between affordable gear with an average life expectancy based on past experience.

I'd get an el-cheapo jacket, trousers and boots for now because riding around without gear is beyond me (feels weird IMO). Attempting to shift in trainers (ie boots that don't have a shift panel stitched onto the toe area) is also annoying.

Scan sportsbikeshop and see what you come up with. Thumbs Up

For a quick spin (two hours or so) on the C.B.T around local roads with probably 40-50 mph roads (doubt you'd be taken above that for a first time) longevity and quality don't really matter.

I've got a crappy pair of textile trousers & jacket in 32 waist / 42 chest (UK) if you're close to that, and some gloves in size large (RST winter-ish) I'm looking to sell anyway. Jacket / Trouser are Frank Thomas and have dire armour (thin material, probably not overly waterproof and poor O.E.M protectors). Let me know if of any use. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:09 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect most people wear jeans when doing their CBT.

If wanting a 'shared' helmet you could buy a second hand one.

Same with gloves or you could buy cheapish new ones in size medium or large.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 14 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basics would be a Halfords lid and gloves, warm coat jeans and waterproof leggings anf sturdy boots from B&Q.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:39 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Gear CBT. Reply with quote

Hi,

I did my CBT year before covid struck. I bought a helmet and jacket cheap off Facebook sales, and wore jeans and sturdy walking boots. Once I passed I sold the cheap stuff on and got some new stuff. I guess the issue would be if you would be happy to buy second hand at the moment.

As for he CBT it's a training day so listen and have fun and relax ! There were 7 of us on my day and we had a pretty fun day.

Oh and good luck.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on the username - you should fit in.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still hunting for a lid then m and p in Swansea have an LS2 breaker on offer at £53.60 according to this weeks MCN.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1