Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

300+ Mile Trip on a Chinese 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Drenon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:03 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: 300+ Mile Trip on a Chinese 125cc Reply with quote

Hey there, new member here and looking for some others opinions or those who have actually done what I am considering doing.

First a bit about myself, long term bike fan and have owned several little 125cc from the cheap China knock offs to my beloved Honda Grom that was stolen.

I have recently picked up a very sorry looking Lexmoto Street 125, 2011 and am half way through rebuilding it from the ground up. Despite being rusty, ratted and all around knackered the engine has done less than 4000mile in its life time and even though I was planning to sell it on I'm really warming up to the little thing.

So here is my question for the title of the post!! Has anyone done a long touring journey on a Lexmoto or similar. I know the good brand bikes will hit the journey without a problem but hoping for a bit of a insight before I do consider travelling down from Scotland on a 260 mile journey to Sheffield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I did a 270 mile ride along the West Coast of Scotland on my Zontes ZT125-U.

Went out from Glasgow through the backroads and twisties to Strathaven then out to Muirkirk and Cumnock. From there went west to Ayr and down to Girvan then Stranraer. Ate lunch on the bank of Loch Ryan then went down to the tip of the Mull of Galloway then back up the peninsula to around Wigtown on to Dumfries, Annan and Gretna. From there headed back to Dumfries but instead of re-tracing the route back through the coast I went north to Carronbridge to Sanquhar and back into Cumnock and from there re-traced the route out.

Was alright, I passed fuck loads of other bikers and it showed how painfully slow a 125cc bike is, but was overall an enjoyable trip. The biggest downside was after doing that many miles in the saddle of my Chinese shithorse I felt as if I had been brutally fucked by an actual horse. My arse was in fucking tatters mate.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Last weekend I did a 270 mile ride along the West Coast of Scotland on my Zontes ZT125-U.

Went out from Glasgow through the backroads and twisties to Strathaven then out to Muirkirk and Cumnock.

What a road that is! . About 30 years ago I had a girlfriend in Troon who I would drive to see in my company Cavalier (Mk3 1.6L ). IIRC I used to come of the M74 (might even have been the A74 then) at Douglas and tears the f*ck out of the road to Ayr via Cumnock. At several places you can 'make air' IIRC. Happy days and a decent shag at the end to boot.

Quote:
The biggest downside was after doing that many miles in the saddle of my Chinese shithorse I felt as if I had been brutally fucked by an actual horse. My arse was in fucking tatters mate.

LMFAO Very Happy

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
What a road that is! . About 30 years ago I had a girlfriend in Troon who I would drive to see in my company Cavalier (Mk3 1.6L ). IIRC I used to come of the M74 (might even have been the A74 then) at Douglas and tears the f*ck out of the road to Ayr via Cumnock. At several places you can 'make air' IIRC. Happy days and a decent shag at the end to boot.

Mate the road is brilliant, I've drove it many times in my cars and you can absolutely have some fun on it. Last weekend I had to keep in to the left of the lane as I was getting passed so many times by riders on real bikes and cars. Can't wait to hit that road on a proper bike. There is one part I nearly shit my pants though where the road goes from a blind-summit sweeping left downhill immediately into a sharp-right turn over a narrow bridge. I almost stood the bike up going a little heavy on the front brake as I leaned into the right-hand turn. Embarassed

Drenon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is certainly do able then minus the arse abuse XD

May have to have a go on those roads myself, I'm not far from Ayr at all, I'm up at cunninghamhead. Though I need to get this bike put back together first, she is just a box of parts and a frame while I wait for paints and other bits to start to piece it back together
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capacity is no limitation; plenty of people do massive miles on a C90. Just accept a slightly slower pace but it means you get to absorb where you're going. On any bike though, maintenance / upkeep / condition is everything, but you should be all over that if you're rebuilding from the ground up.

Drenon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:19 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Capacity is no limitation; plenty of people do massive miles on a C90. Just accept a slightly slower pace but it means you get to absorb where you're going. On any bike though, maintenance / upkeep / condition is everything, but you should be all over that if you're rebuilding from the ground up.

Was not so much the capacity I was worried about, I know its going to be a nice steady ride and take about 7 hours as I can't hit the motorways either on my CBT it's more the reliability of the engine and such. I understand that a lot of these bikes are based off the Honda engine but I could only assume the quality is not quite the same.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drenon wrote:

Was not so much the capacity I was worried about, I know its going to be a nice steady ride and take about 7 hours as I can't hit the motorways either on my CBT it's more the reliability of the engine and such. I understand that a lot of these bikes are based off the Honda engine but I could only assume the quality is not quite the same.

Yes Honda or Suzuki based mostly . I could be wrong here but I think the motors are probably the most robust par of these bikes. Its the cycle parts and finish which are generally second rate.

Once I'd given it a good lick of paint i'd try and put a few local miles on it and checking for oil leaks and rattles before heading off on the big one. goes wihout saying you should also strap 1/2 gallon of oil on the back when you go too. Just in case.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And above all, have half-decent breakdown cover and a fully charged 'phone with the number and your policy details in it so if the worst happens and you can't fix it, you're not stranded somewhere.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:27 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Get a piece of sheepskin for the seat , it makes a big difference.

Keep up with your oil changes, don't let it go over.

Enjoy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1