Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

buyers protection with Paypal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:51 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: buyers protection with Paypal Reply with quote

Hello the BCF.

i have been in discussion with a small company about a bespoke item with a long lead time.

We have agreed on a price and i have a quote.
initially they requested to be paid via bank transfer.

However as i have no dealings with them in the past and they are small with little to no online presence, i request if they have other methods of payment.

they has said they will accept payment via Paypal if if cover the fee's, which i'm more than happy to do.

However given the cost of the item i just want to check what is the correct way to go about this ?

at the moment my PayPal account is tired directly to my bank account. Can i add my CC to PayPal, is that a better thing to do ?

I'm sure it will be just fine....
but id rather not be posting in 3 months time to say i just gave some random people a wedge of cash and made no effort to protect my self.

Cheers in advance.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it costs more than £100 I would buy it with a credit card. That way you are protected under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If something goes wrong then you can claim your money back from the credit card company and then they chase the seller for the money. It only works if you pay the seller directly though, if you use your credit card through Paypal or any other 3rd party payment system you are not covered.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal Buyer Protection should cover you for non-delivery, so long as you can prove it didn’t arrive and they can’t prove it did. Paying with a credit card via PayPal merely delays the time that the money leaves your bank and doesn’t offer any additional protection other than the possibility of sorting out any issues before your card bill becomes payable. This explains why credit card protection is lost via PayPal.

The PayPal protection does not cover you for not-as-described though as it specifically excludes custom-made items.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to pay a deposit or nominal amount via CC and the rest however you want - the whole amount is then covered by the CC section 75 protection.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:23 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
If it costs more than £100 I would buy it with a credit card. That way you are protected under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If something goes wrong then you can claim your money back from the credit card company and then they chase the seller for the money. It only works if you pay the seller directly though, if you use your credit card through Paypal or any other 3rd party payment system you are not covered.

i assume the fees to the seller for accepting a payment via CC are not dis-similar to Paypal fees ?

Maybe the seller has no means to accept CC payments ?

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:52 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
martin734 wrote:

i assume the fees to the seller for accepting a payment via CC are not dis-similar to Paypal fees ?

Maybe the seller has no means to accept CC payments ?

Merchants do incur fees for processing credit cards, but since 2018 it has been illegal for retailers to charge customers for paying by credit card. Most companies can accept payment by card, I would be very wary of dealing with any company that cannot accept card payments.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too dissimilar to asking a builder to do some work: "Yeah, we need payment in advance..." then you can fuck right off! I'll give you a deposit for the material costs and you'll get the rest when it's done.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go down the credit card route. Check the t&cs because s75 doesn't apply in some circumstances.

Particularly if you use it to pay through certain payment gateways, such as paypal.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
I would be very wary of dealing with any company that cannot accept card payments.

While I agree with you on principal, my company turns over tens of millions per year and we don't accept card payments or cash. Only bank transfers and cheques. Then again, we also only deal business to business and don't deal with consumers at all so it's not comparing apples with apples.

Easy-X wrote:
Doesn't sound too dissimilar to asking a builder to do some work: "Yeah, we need payment in advance..." then you can fuck right off! I'll give you a deposit for the material costs and you'll get the rest when it's done.

I commissioned some custom jewellery with Ede & Ravenscroft of London and they demanded payment in full and in advance of starting the order. I think that depending on what Colin's bespoke item is probably makes the difference between a deposit and full payment.

Going forward, I think the best solution for Colin is to use a credit card for payment (if they accept it) as it offers the most protection.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:38 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: buyers protection with Paypal Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
i have been in discussion with a small company about a bespoke item with a long lead time.

What's the item?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 18 days between these two posts...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrystalIbarra wrote:
Regarding your question about whether using a credit card via PayPal eliminates the currency conversion fee, unfortunately, this is not the case. PayPal charges a fee for currency conversion regardless of the payment method used. As for why Pixinsight may be using PayPal as their payment processor, there are several reasons why a business might choose to use PayPal for credit card transactions. PayPal is a well-established and widely used payment platform, and it offers some benefits to both merchants and customers, such as ease of use, security, and fraud protection. I use a credit card from [url=https://Brianscrabs.cm]briancrabs store[/url], and, fortunately, I have no problems.

Oh dear, I hope Brian gets over his crabs soon. I had crabs many years ago. Donated by a pretty lady in Maracaibo. Itchy little fuckers they were but got rid of by using dog flea treatment and shaving my balls.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1