Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bullet 500 - 'wobble' through front.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Bullet 500 - 'wobble' through front. Reply with quote

After some advice on a little handling issue that's showing itself on my Enfield.

First off, I should say that I believe the issue has always been there to some degree, but I am noticing it more now having fitted some new, and different to stock, rubber. Ordinarily I'd point towards wheel balancing but on this one I'm not so sure - so any second opinions welcomed.

On a straight road travelling at ~27 to ~31 mph, and whilst on a consistent throttle, I'll get what I'd say is a 'wobble' at the front of the bike. It's not a tank slapper by any stretch of the imagination; there's nothing to fight and it's not like you have to hold on for dear life, but I can feel this vagueness and slight left/right in the bars. It's ever so slight - but does get worse on occasion, notably:
Arrow When the road surface is more rough.
Arrow When there's weight on the back - if I pillion my wife around, it's far more noticeable.

I have tried tyre pressures up, tyre pressures down - that doesn't seem to affect it; it's still there running 20psi or 30psi.

I have checked for play in the head bearings / swing arm and there's no notchiness or jiggle in either.

There's no dive or unusual movement from the front forks.

Yet this issue is there. It was there on the old tyres, and it's there on the new tyres, too. I wouldn't say it's getting worse, but it's more noticeable now on the RoadRiders than it was on the RoadSmarts.

Does BCF have any what do's?

Cheers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:05 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What torque are the head bearings done up to? You would be surprised at just how tight they are supposed to be...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What torque are the head bearings done up to? You would be surprised at just how tight they are supposed to be...

Not sure I agree with this as the way you measure tightness of head races is to use a spring balance off one of the handlebar grips not through the torque of the adjusting nut/collar.

But it is a very good call. It seems mechanics these days either leave head-races so they are too loose or massively over-tighten them. Over tight head-races would give a wandering feel to the handling.

Do the rear shocks have preload adjustment? if so add some and try in case its a question of too much weight over the rear.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spokes out of kilter / disc not true?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:43 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCE or iron barrel?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Not sure I agree with this as the way you measure tightness of head races is to use a spring balance off one of the handlebar grips not through the torque of the adjusting nut/collar.

But it is a very good call. It seems mechanics these days either leave head-races so they are too loose or massively over-tighten them. Over tight head-races would give a wandering feel to the handling.

Do the rear shocks have preload adjustment? if so add some and try in case its a question of too much weight over the rear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciated.

There's no preload adjustment on the rears - there's no adjustment anywhere actually Laughing but I did have the same thinking as, having experienced adding weight to rear of it, that does seem plausible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Spokes out of kilter / disc not true?

No vibes or dodgy braking performance, but I guess it is a possibility.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
UCE or iron barrel?

Sorry, 2016 made 17 registered B5.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting weight on the back end lightens up the front end making the effect more pronounced I suppose. Do you notice anything if you try to accelerate in this "wobble zone" ?

If I were to guess the areas to look at would be the head bearing tightness. From my experience of old bikes there's a Goldilocks zone of "not too tight, not too slack, but just right."

After that I'd be looking at the forks: are they 100% lined up on the yolk TBF having 2 mm more sticking out of the yolk on one side should be pretty obvious but hey, if it's a proper old Indian Enfield maybe that's to account for a really dodgy casting. Also, are the forks 100% in parallel or slightly twisted.

Then there's the wheel. If the hub/spoke dishing isn't centred relative to the axle and whatever spacers it'd make little odds a low speed. Finally I'd hoist up the front and a spin the wheel and just see if any obvious things jump out with the rim shape.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:30 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure it hasn't cracked the axle clamp on the front fork. Also check the mudguard is all clamped up firmly, it acts as a bit of a fork brace, heavy steel with three stays either side.

Also inspect the engine mounting plates for cracks because the frame has all the ridgidity of cooked spaghetti without the engine firmly bolted in place.

The swingarm is mounted on nylon bushes. Not bearings so beware of play. If in doubt, they are a fiver each.

I'd have a good look at the rear hub. Make sure the bearings are all ok. That includes the one in the sprocket/brake drum which stays attached to the bike and is heardly ever looked at. Make sure all the spacers are in and in the correct place. Cush drive doesn't have too much play.

Check the rear wheel alignment, the position of the snail cams adjusters is pretty spurious/random. Just because they are set the same does not mean the wheel is in straight.

Parts diagrams here: https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/314/2016-500cc-bullet-efi-b5

I find the standard rims can be a real sod to get the beads up onto. Check they are correct.

Umm. Check it has the right length shocks. The EFI should have 320mm ones. Too short is going to do silly things to the rake angle.

To an extent, it's worth remembering they are quite a "sporty" bike geometry-wise, despite how they look. They have a comparatively short wheelbase and a realtively tight rake and trail. Comparing it to, say a TZR250, the wheelbase on a bullet is an a good 20mm shorter, rake angle is identical and trail is 20mm shorter. The leading axle calms things down a touch on the steering but it can also feel slightly weird.

Both my bullets do have a slightly "wobbly" feel at lower speeds

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

After that I'd be looking at the forks: are they 100% lined up on the yolk TBF having 2 mm more sticking out of the yolk on one side should be pretty obvious but hey, if it's a proper old Indian Enfield maybe that's to account for a really dodgy casting. Also, are the forks 100% in parallel or slightly twisted.

There is no clamp on the "top yoke" of these, they push up into a recess in a cast alloy casquette and are then held there by a bolt going down through the top, they are clamped into the bottom yoke in the traditional way. There's no real way for them to develop asymmetry without the bolt undoing (which would them spray oil everywhere).

I HAVE had a damper rod collar unscrew itself internally. If that happened, it would be possible to pull the fork lower off the stanchion.

One oddity that cold be relevant is there are NO bushes in the forks. It relies on the fit between the stanchion and the slider. Wear here would lead to lateral play on the fork lowers.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now I see why ppl think these bikes have "character" Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. That's a lot to check up on and some good places to start Thumbs Up

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

If I were to guess the areas to look at would be the head bearing tightness. From my experience of old bikes there's a Goldilocks zone of "not too tight, not too slack, but just right."

Just like the tapered bearings on the front wheels of cars, if anyone remembers trying to work out the best tightness after re-greasing them..... But, that's for expansion from heat.

But your point stands, there is an art and a reason for these things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add to what people have said above except I wouldn't shout

When there's weight on the back - if I pillion my wife around, it's far more noticeable.

too loud or a wobbly front end might be the least of your worries. Laughing

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always had the same thing very pronounced on a divvy, running roadriders too, any load in the topbox/anything on the rear = front end wanting to tank slap if I keep my hands off the bars. Higher tyre pressures help, to a point.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:27 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drastic changes to tyre construction can present a substantial change in the profile meeting the road.
It's difficult to see but is noticeable when riding the beast.
Tyre pressure can affect the profile as mentioned.
I had issue with new tyres I fitted to a bike due to the way the tyre manufacturer changed from Michelin to Dunlop. It went away after a while or perhaps I just became accustomed to the difference in handling from old to new.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:38 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t read/to long.
Has anyone mentioned a squared off rear tyre?
Or worn wheel bearings?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up the thread, if it isn't notchy head bearings then you need to check everything else on the chassis. It's an Enfield, so there are a lot of things to check due to the, erm, artisanal nature of their construction.

Only other useful bit to add is that front end symptoms are often causes by rear end problems, and vice versa.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:36 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Only other useful bit to add is that front end symptoms are often causes by rear end problems, and vice versa.

Exactly this. I'd have rear wheel bearings as the #1 suspect.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1