Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Top Gear Sunday BBC1 8pm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Mar 2021    Post subject: New Top Gear Sunday BBC1 8pm Reply with quote

So the beeb are having another go at Top Gear without the other well known presenters,even though it is well known that the beeb grovelled to Jezza begging him to return.

Top Gear

14 Mar 2021 - 8:00pm - 9:00pm BBC1

Summary

Freddie, Chris and Paddy head to the Lake District for an emotional reunion with their own dads' old cars. Elsewhere, Chris heads out on the track to test Lamborghini's most powerful car ever, the hybrid Sian.

Always have a 'Plan B'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 11 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Just talk bikes. What else is there?

Wink

Oh, I see. You've got it covered:

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Always have a Plan B

Laughing

Sorry, I'll just shut up now Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch it because it isn't that bad and is about the only thing the BBC churn out that I can get at least some of my licence fee back from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I goggled 'Top Gear' ratings the other day and there was a distinct downward trend of the numbers of people 'estimated' as having watched the programme since the Clarkson/May/Hammond trio left and went elsewhere.The figures spoke for themselves that viewers have given whatever the beeb broadcasts a big thumbs down Thumbs Down ,especially when the ginger twat took over.The figures have never recovered to anywhere near where they used to be,being not even a third of previous figures.

Maybe if they changed the scriptwriters things might change.Difficult to say what a replacement formula should be Thinking

I still think that the best episode was the Vietnam special and the India special was the worst Rolling Eyes

Always have a 'Plan B'

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:59 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see once again the annual "Top gear is not as good as it used to be" thread is here with it's crushing inevitability.

I liked it, it's *almost* back to the Clarkson/Hammond/May levels of quality IMO. It's decent. It's a bit better than some of the poorest episodes of Grand Tour, that's for sure.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:01 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I goggled 'Top Gear' ratings the other day and there was a distinct downward trend of the numbers of people 'estimated' as having watched the programme since the Clarkson/May/Hammond trio left and went elsewhere.The figures spoke for themselves that viewers have given whatever the beeb broadcasts a big thumbs down Thumbs Down ,especially when the ginger twat took over.The figures have never recovered to anywhere near where they used to be,being not even a third of previous figures.

Err... since Clarkson left the programme the TV landscape has changed a LOT. Any rebound in figures is positive compared to the general viewership of linear TV at this stage in the game. Also I very much doubt the BBC went back to Clarkson at any time. He had so many final warnings, and I think they were glad to be shot of him to a certain extent.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I see once again the annual "Top gear is not as good as it used to be" thread is here with it's crushing inevitability.

I liked it, it's *almost* back to the Clarkson/Hammond/May levels of quality IMO. It's decent. It's a bit better than some of the poorest episodes of Grand Tour, that's for sure.

I've been quite enjoying it. The Dad's Cars episode was decent. This Sunday's off roading was quite fun, too.

Not a Bond fan by any stretch but I did get to see all of his cars at Spa Francorchamps last year at the F1, so that brought a level of interest to it, too.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is though, back in the day, when it was Clarkson/Hammond/May, there wasn't anywhere near as much (decent) online/streaming content as there is now

I bet if you really looking into the figures, you'd find the whole terrestrial system (the Beeb included) to be somewhat down on where they were 5-10 years ago, as viewing trends (especially amongst the younger generations) have changed massively from what most of us are used to and grew up with

Back on topic of Top Gear though, i have enjoyed this season so far, had plenty of fits of laughter, so thats always a tick in my book

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:32 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search, and it seems the last few versions of this groundhog day of a thread seem to have the same OP.

Maybe Fizzer Thou you should perhaps... maybe.. not watch it?

Here's a quote from me from the last thread started 4th of October 2020. I was wrong in this thread, it's actually bi-annual, not annual:

MarJay wrote:
As with the rising of the sun, the changing of the seasons and Paul McCartney singing Hey Jude at the end of a big event, the inevitability of the “Top Gear is now shit” thread on a biannual basis is in fact crushing. It hasn’t been a car show since the mid 90s and everyone misses Clarkson Hammond and May. It’s always been scripted and you don’t legally have to like it.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The beeb panicked - having lost it's biggest global revenue earner, they tried to rescue it by getting their largest in house ego to front the revamp and it's taken a while to get anywhere near a winning formula.

To be fair, it took a few series for the Clarkson/Hammond/May effort to really get some traction and the repeat channels completely overlook the first series, sans May and with the instantly forgettable Jason Dawe in the third seat.

I've always thought the Clarkson TG was running out of steam (pretty sure I've said as much on here, more than once) and I feel I have been proved right by GT, which is mostly average and only occasionally excellent.

I was particularly interested by this most recent episode of TG, given the next special for GT is widely known to be in Scotland - beeb going head to head with Amazon?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:41 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I've always thought the Clarkson TG was running out of steam (pretty sure I've said as much on here, more than once) and I feel I have been proved right by GT, which is mostly average and only occasionally excellent.

I think they are almost phoning it in these days. It's still entertaining, but I actually think the 'dad car' episode of Top Gear might... be... well... *better* than all of it? It's a formula that works now anyway.

What's annoying is that Flintoff and McGuinness aren't the same level of car people as Hammond and May, but Harris more than makes up for it. And their enthusiasm and willingness to 'send it' is endearing. One thing that was good about the C/H/M combination was that they were all car bores but weren't all in your face about it. Whereas I get the impression Flintoff has to do an impression of a car bore and McGuinness has a very narrow car bore niche of old Fords and the kind of thing a working class guy would lust after in the 80s and 90s.

I'm very impressed that they all skitched behind cars at over 60mph though, that takes a bit of guts (and a lot of insurance).

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 01 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
Just talk bikes. What else is there?

Wink

Oh, I see. You've got it covered:

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Always have a Plan B

Laughing

Sorry, I'll just shut up now Smile

The reason I prefer to talk about bikes is because I do not get anything at all from driving a car.I am not in the slightest impressed by any car.My four wheeled vehicle is purely utility and no 'fun' whatsover.So when I post up about a new series of TG I do so in the hope that there might be something about bikes for a change.When I read the summary of what the next episode is about and there is no mention of bikes,I go to 'Plan B',which is to watch something else or in some cases when there is nothing worth watching (quite regularly nowadays....) then I switch it off and do something more interesting.

It is the same when there are other programmes about vehicles on television,like Bangers and Cash or Wheeler Dealers.Or even that dire programme with the blonde gimp with the grey beard.His dialogue is so pitiful and not worth listening to.It is a shame that Allen Millyard has had to associate himself with the gimp.

Always have a 'Plan B'

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:04 - 02 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All TV is contrived.
That said I prefer these 3 C**nts who appear to have a small amount of humanity and genuineness about them.
The other 3 Knuts - A minature John Noakes (for you youngsters an up for anything Blue Peter presenter ) along with a dinosaur and a fascist ( like, take your pick which is which).
"A grand tour" anagram of ' a bucket of shit without a handle'
Rant over.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1