BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro 3 /5?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Euro 3 /5? Reply with quote

Hi all. Wondering if anyone knows when Euro 3 bikes will be officially phased out? Planning on buying my "dream bike" but its only Euro 3 compliant. I would be really sad to buy it and then have to get rid of it in a few years becuse I can't drive it into cities any more. There is a similar bike I could get that is Euro 5 compliant so maybe that would be a better long term investment, but its a lot more expensive and a lot more than I wanted to spend. But, could be the better long term investment.

Anyway that was a long winded way of asking, if anyone knows when Euro 3 bikes will get phased out and when will Euro 5 bikes get phased out?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's anyone's guess what will happen. But it's reasonable to expect that things are going to happen and the goalposts will move.

Optimistic view: petrol motorcycles are already a rare sight, and the old ones are ever rarer in use, and policy planners don't think about them or include them in increasingly stringent local restrictions as they're such a tiny proportion of road traffic and nobody's really using things like old 2-strokes for commuting in cities anyway.

Pessimistic view: petrol motorcycles will get the squeeze because of ideology-driven reasons.

Personally, I would sooner spend new-bike money on an old bike I really want than on a new one which I don't really understand or recognise as a thing that will give me the experience I want from it. A pristine GPZ750 over a brand new Z900, any day. I get enough hi-tech stuff all around me in my life without bikes belonging to that world too. That's just my personal preference. So I'd go for the Euro 3 "dream bike", any day of the week.

However, I don't know what will happen, so if you buy that Euro 3 bike (probably an early 2000s bike), don't blame me if something adverse happens. Of course, common bikes have to much rarer for the "optimistic" perspective to realise itself in the future. So, if within the next few years we're still seeing daily commuters on old Bandits and such, then things aren't looking good. Nobody thinks about banning steam-powered cars from the roads, do they. That's because you just don't see them being used on the roads in the towns and cities during the rush hour. That's my thinking, even though it might be a bit too optimistic.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it will vary city by city too. Some like London or Bristol are more likely to cut down what's allowed in for free way before a lot of others.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1