Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Condensor 'bodge'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Condensor 'bodge' Reply with quote

All

Suspect at least one faulty condensor on the GT 250 - difficult to start (arcing at one set of points..)

Want to try out my theory NOW (Eaaster w/e and all that). I can prob get a old school Beetle condensor to bodge fit locally rather than wait a week - thoughts?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:54 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a go.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:07 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's a range of capacitances used , probably depending on the magnetic flux the coil develops - which is a function of turns and current flow. Yeah it will work , but maybe not 100 %.

" Almost all automotive coils use a 0.25-0.29 microfarad capacitor."

found online.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:52 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the condensers round and see if the arcing changes to the other set.

The old test used to be to set the points to closed with the ignition off. Turn it on then seperate the points with something non-conductive. If a spark arcs across, the condenser is probably toast. Of course, this doesn't work if it's a self-exciting ignition.

Make sure the voltages match if you are using componants off different motors (not sure if the GT is 6V).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Make sure the voltages match if you are using componants off different motors (not sure if the GT is 6V).

Obviously you wouldn't use a 6V condensor on a 12V system but would it make any odds the other way around?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Obviously you wouldn't use a 6V condensor on a 12V system but would it make any odds the other way around?

Well there's the question. WOULD you use a 12V condenser on a 6V system, since it will be seeing double the current assuming all other things are equal.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a bit hazy but from what I recall of capacitors in general (bearing in mind I did GCSE Electronics >30 years ago) one would use a capacitor rated to the voltage expected or higher. E.g. making a regulated 12V power supply? Use at least 15V capacitors.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The old test used to be to set the points to closed with the ignition off. Turn it on then seperate the points with something non-conductive. If a spark arcs across, the condenser is probably toast. Of course, this doesn't work if it's a self-exciting ignition.

I did this - one set arced the other did not - spark at plug as intermittent on arcing side. GT is a manly 12V system. Going to try the beetle condensor called my local motor factors and they stock them.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Going to try the beetle condensor called my local motor factors and they stock them.

There you go! Blaze new trails. What can it hurt to engage in private research and development? Your findings benefit us all. Go for it. Cool

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the condenser/capacitor is rated at or above running voltage you're good to go, It wont affect current
The important thing other than rated voltage is operating temperature but any automotive type (as opposed to a PCB type) will probably be up to the job.
As to any differences in capacitance, you'd need a scope to see how it operates but even with a scope what are going to compare it to?
as long as its near or near enough I wouldn't worry.
Most auto caps are low capacity, high temp.

Other than the above volts and temp, physical dimensions and getting it to fit would probably be my main concern

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,Beetle condensor didn't seem to work too well.. points on that pot still arcing. Went for a ride anyway, at the end of about 15 miles misfire, nursed it home.

Maybe points/condensor or non charging battery. More investigation needed, as usual.. Sad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Hmm,Beetle condensor didn't seem to work too well.. points on that pot still arcing. Went for a ride anyway, at the end of about 15 miles misfire, nursed it home.

Maybe points/condensor or non charging battery. More investigation needed, as usual.. Sad

On one of my GT250’s many years ago I had a similar problem.
One brand new battery, new points, new plugs, new condensers, it was still happening.
Another set of coils that I knew were good and it was still happening.

It turned out to be the charging system.

Just my Penny Coin Penny Coin .

Thank your lucky stars you’re not working on a Yamaha XS250, my experience of them was that they are/were a lot worse Evil or Very Mad .
They had a mind of thier own/determination for running on one cylinder.
F*gking sh*theaps.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as closely examining the condition of the faces of the points
I'd be checking ground continuity from the points assemblies and condenser bodies back to the battery neg terminal.

Dunno what meter you have but setting the meter to its
lowest resistance range and noting the reading when you short the probes together before testing will help you see how good the ground continuity is.
Ideally I'd want to see less than 1 Ohm from any ground point to battery neg

One quick and dirty cap test is to disconnect the caps from the points
and measure the voltage from the terminal to the body
if they vary ( even if they dont) ground each one to the base plate
for a second or two to get them, both at the same potential.

Then do a resistance check from terminal to body which applies a small voltage to them
and quickly switch to voltage to see if they both have roughly the same voltage.
As I said quick&dirty plus too many variables to get any conclusive results, but it may show up significant variations between the 'good'
and new condenser.

Re Pepperami's post
A diode test on the RR wont hurt.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Some dmm's have capacitance measurement function...

Compare one with the other...

Do your capacitors have a yellow wire and a black wire ?

Post a picture of the points area...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired it up again this morning and it's running nicely. The retrofit reg/rec I fitted lat years also seems to be working as I'm going from 12.5 up to 13-14 with a few revs (the original GT250 only has a rec no reg...)..

Couldn't see much arcing either during running but I can when I test it 'statically' opening the points with my thumb and check for spark with a spare plug.

To wire up the beetle condenser I had to common the single green wire to both points and source. I'll order a proper replacement anyway. Will re-read WDs post to see if I can understand the check procedure too Confused

TTFN

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

You do realise there should be 2 condensers/ capacitors, one for each set of points, 2 seperate indipendent systems but with a common 12v to the ignition coils ?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
You do realise there should be 2 condensers/ capacitors, one for each set of points, 2 seperate indipendent systems but with a common 12v to the ignition coils ?

Yes..thanks. only replaced one with the bodge.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 05 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Well there's the question. WOULD you use a 12V condenser on a 6V system, since it will be seeing double the current assuming all other things are equal.

It'll be fine - it's safe to use a higher voltage rating than normal. Condensors (capacitors by another name) don't present a resistance as such, but rather a reactance to alternating currents and that's governed by the value of the capacitor and the frequency of the current (2pi x L x C).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1