Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When to replace tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: When to replace tyres? Reply with quote

I've been in the unusual position that other than due to perishing rubber on bikes I've bought, I've not yet had to purchase new tyres for a motorcycle (this is partly because I've been chopping and changing bikes a fair bit since I passed my test). Anyway, the Crossrunner has managed about 4k miles on the brand new Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's and I've recently began to feel the bike feels a bit vague on wet roads. In the dry they're fine. A mate, who is more knowledgeable than me in such things, reckons the rear tyre needs changing - there is a just about detectable flatspot although it's noticeable more by feel than sight. The front tyre has a bit of cupping where I can feel in places there is a difference in tread depth either side of some of the "cross grooves".

I appreciate this is a subjective topic anyway, but my question is - when do I replace the tyres? They're not cheap to replace a set, circa £240 plus fitting for a decent set of hoops. There's tread depth left so it's not like there's a shortage of rubber (I think something like 4mm on the back and 3mm on the front). Obviously if it gets to the point where the handling feels horrible, it's a no brainer (although of course, the handling may have already done this albeit very gradually so I just don't notice it) My bigger concern really is am I dicing with reduced grip levels through the cupped front tyre and slightly squared rear?

Cheers. Thumbs Up

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the tread of down to what you accept is OK
I tend to change front at 2mm+ but will run the rear to the legal minimum of 1mm
I also find some front tyres were unevenly and they get replaced asap
In my view front is way more lightly to affect handling than rear so I way more lightly to change a front with tread left than a rear
I is best nicest to change a as pair but seldom works out that way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange as this may seem it's comfort levels that lead to me changing - at well over 4k, incidentally. For some stupid reason I feel like I can ride around the change in handling - the squared-off dropping in sensation, the white line squirrelling, etc.. But ride-wise everything feels harsher and annoying. So at somewhere between 6 and 8k (or more), I cave in and replace. Bridgestone battlax t30s iirc. Hmm - can't remember now.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err on caution and reliability.
More tread depth provides better grip on wet roads. More efficient at displacing water/blood.

And more tread helps prevent air loss due to punctures. The pointy things have to be longer to penetrate through the inner tube. (For those not in the know, Tubeless tyres have an inner tube bonded to the tyre. Wink )

The 1mm legal minimum is risking a spill or a longer skid into something/one too.

And if the tyres do not feel good change them.

I use tyreleader for my bike tyres as they are the ch3apest. Still need to find a fitter amd pay for fit, balance and scrap disposal. Unless you can do those yourself.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to get it pretty close to the minimum on both f+r.

I do get tempted by bargains though.

I had bought a new tyre for the front of one of my bikes recently v. cheaply, but I didn't like the way it felt- so I put the original tyre which I had deemed to be pretty gone (actually, it had about 2-2.5mm left, I was just sick of the sight of it), back on the bike and saved the new one for the rear when that needs it.

It looks like I'm going to get another 2k miles from that tyre which I had originally removed.

Rears rub away pretty quickly anyway even on low ft-lbs. If they're square I try and live with it when it gets beyond redemption, if I can. But my fronts never cup or square, they wear very nicely and evenly around the curve. So, in contradiction to my first sentence, I sometimes replace the rears early.

I don't buy matching pairs, and I don't buy matching makes.

As an addition, if I know I have a long riding holiday (normally they entail 5k in roughly 2 weeks) then I will buy new tyres (or 2nd hand with plenty tread), and save the ones I take off for another time to put back on when the 'new' ones have got to end of life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many variables. I normally change when my tires square noticeably, inevitably with my commute that happens before the tread is worn on the outsides but it gets pretty low in the middle. Usually around 6-7k on the Crossrunner (I scud about and my commute has a good bit of traffic light GP).

Also consider the age of your tyres, in years. They're only at their best for a few years until the rubber starts to perish. Performance is often compromised before there are many visual signs. Often not as noticeable in the dry, but definitely so when it's wet. I've found after about 3 years they start to drop off, hence why I prefer to buy current model tyres rather than obsolete old stock.

However, Scorpion Trails are OEM fit on the Crossrunner and widely disliked. It isn't an adventure bike despite what Honda wants to think so I don't know why they didn't just fit an entirely road focussed tyre. Get them off and fire on a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01s. Very well suited to the bike and make it a joy to chuck around. Great in the wet too. Pilot Road/Road series from Michellin work well on it too but I like the 01s.

Ultimately I ride bikes because I enjoy it and few things affect handling and grip more than your tyres so I don't see the point in fucking about with ones that that don't function up to scratch.

I'll happy run an otherwise ratty bike but it'll always have quality tyres.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. Decided to get some new ones - Michelin Road 5s. It was a split between those and the Roadtec, but there's a free fitting offer with Demon Tweeks with the Michelins at the moment so it made it cheaper and they're still very highly regarded tyres.

kgm; yeah I had heard the Scorpion Trail (original ones) were considered really poor, but apparently the 2nd generation ones slightly better. I've never had a problem with them in the dry (even now in their current state) but in the wet they've always felt a bit vague. Looking forwards to seeing what the bike is like with some road-focussed rubber on it!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't feel right, replace em. Better to spend a few hundred quid on new tyres than a few grand on gear and plastics etc Laughing

Gonna replace the tyres on my 750 soon, they've felt a bit crap for a while, and it's only recently I had a peek at the date of manufacture on them. Which I'd done it sooner - they were MUCH older than I thought they were Shocked

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 21:31 - 08 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this is a result of my bike being more of a city commuter tool than a toy for weekend blasts or touring, but I am seriously surprised at the amount of responses about replacing tyres early.

I'll run both tyres right down near to the legal limit in all year around commuting (i.e. even if I'm expecting rain).

Pretty much the only reason I'll replace early is if I get a puncture with only a few months life left, or if for whatever reason it is more economical to replace as a pair - for example the front is low but not that low, but gets replaced with the back as it's cheaper than having to go back to the shop again in a month or two.

I'd certainly not be replacing the rear because it's a wee bit flatted off - though PR5's seem to resist flatting incredibly well.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 08 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I suppose this is a result of my bike being more of a city commuter tool than a toy for weekend blasts or touring, but I am seriously surprised at the amount of responses about replacing tyres early.

This is the thing, commuting only I'd probably run squarer ones but it takes away from the enjoyment when I'm out for a hoon, which is regular for me.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Cheers all. Decided to get some new ones - Michelin Road 5s. It was a split between those and the Roadtec, but there's a free fitting offer with Demon Tweeks with the Michelins at the moment so it made it cheaper and they're still very highly regarded tyres.

kgm; yeah I had heard the Scorpion Trail (original ones) were considered really poor, but apparently the 2nd generation ones slightly better. I've never had a problem with them in the dry (even now in their current state) but in the wet they've always felt a bit vague. Looking forwards to seeing what the bike is like with some road-focussed rubber on it!

I have Michelins on my 1300. Very Naice.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:32 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the machines purpose?

Trying to eek out every mm until the wear bar is worn into on the commuter workhorse,

The tourer, I want setup for the next trip without a squared off rear to start the trip.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

This is the thing, commuting only I'd probably run squarer ones but it takes away from the enjoyment when I'm out for a hoon, which is regular for me.

This is it for me; my motorcycle is purely for pleasure (push bike is my commuting workhorse and that has squared off tyres!) so I want it to perform pleasurably when I take it out. It just feels a bit wrong ditching tyres with tread on which still "function", but I'm sure I'll get over it once I've scrubbed in and am enjoying the new boots. Mr. Green

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:41 - 09 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 13 years old too old for a front tyre?

Asking for a friend.

**Edit - actual date code is 4403 - i.e. week 44 2003 Confused so tyre was five years old before it was even fitted**

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:

Asking for a friend.

**Edit - actual date code is 4403 - i.e. week 44 2003 Confused so tyre was five years old before it was even fitted**

i can trump that unfortunately. the front Bridgestone on my bike has the code 1201 Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:

I had a '97 tyre (3 digit date code) fitted to an '02 bike. I replaced it in '17 when I got the bike and it still had about 4mm of tread in the centre, along with a fuckton of age cracking. Must have been made of concrete.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1