Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 22 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I have no doubt it will come. So will owning private transport as well as many other freedoms or choices we take for granted now. It's how things work.

Look at different countries. Many Asian countries are much more rigidly controlled yet we hold them up as beacons until we are expected to behave and put up with the same.

Singapore - instant fines for littering, dropping gum. Birchings for many offences. Hanging for drugs yet a place many people love (including me). Same with South Korea including acceptance of tracking their citizens via their phone.

As I said (probably) somewhere else, I'm quite happy to have lived my life when I did. I would not look forward the the next few generations as a pleb.

A generation ago lived with ration books, threat of an invasion by fascists and No NHS.

Meh....

Times change and people change with the times.

Sometimes it's not for the better but hey, you aint going to change it so go with the flow and make the best of it you can.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 23 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Pool's currently doing a bit riffing on the aphorism "bad times make for tough men, tough men make for good times" which sounds a lot more gay than when he said it Thinking

Anyhoo Shifty it's a generational thing. WWII knocked the world to its knees so it goes: spring time generations rebuild, then there's a summer where everyone enjoys prosperity, autumn people start getting a bit too blasé and decadent and then winter comes and it all falls apart. FFS now it's all gone Game of Thrones Sad

Certainly I can see his point with the Culture Wars. When we've got to Maths being inherently racist and ppl can argue 2+2=5 with a straight face then a new Dark Age beckons Shocked

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 23 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

A generation ago lived with ration books, threat of an invasion by fascists and No NHS.

Meh....

With plenty of home grown proto-fascists around we don't need the threat of an invasion these days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 23 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
MCN wrote:

Meh....

With plenty of home grown proto-fascists around we don't need the threat of an invasion these days.

Proto-fascists? That would imply a precursor to fascism Thinking Neo-fascism surely?

Anyhoo, whatever the temporal flavour we need some more jackboots on the ground to balance out the rampant Marxism, especially in Bristol Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the name the tactics are the same.
Proletariat masses are easily harvested by any regime that speaks their language.

I remember a teacher at the primary school I went to bare faced indoctrinating the class of 10 year olds.

Her and her husband were activists in the SNP charm brigade.

It had the opposite effect on me.

But many people suck up political nonsense if it is dressed up sexy for them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
But many people suck up political nonsense if it is dressed up sexy for them.

Well yes...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-56548750

Quote:
Protesters said they were unhappy about an element of the Police and Crime Bill, which would ban residing on any private or public land in vehicles without permission where they are causing "significant disruption, distress or harm to local communities".

Wow, that's err... highly specific. TBF the whole bill sucks but that bit I would guess is aimed at the hoojas Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:04 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny one from The Quartering:

Space Jam 2 BLASTED By Woke Mob! Epic Backfire For Lebron James & Warner Brothers

tl;dw following on from cancelling Pepé Le Pew due to being a rapey French stereotype (fair comment) someone's spotted the "droogs" from A Clockwork Orange in the crowd in a trailer Shocked And this is a kids film!

https://i.redd.it/k0q7jnih1zq61.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A Clockwork Orange...this is a kids film!

Banned from tv when it came out if I remember rightly.
Back then, it was Mary Whitehouse doing all the whinging and wanting things banned left, right and centre. And she was considered a conservative. How times change.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
A Clockwork Orange...this is a kids film!

Banned from tv when it came out if I remember rightly.
Back then, it was Mary Whitehouse doing all the whinging and wanting things banned left, right and centre. And she was considered a conservative. How times change.

It wasn't because of the rape scene, it was because of the artwork on the wall. Bloody horrible. I had nightmares for ages after seeing that.

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2015/02/A-Clockwork-Orange-Rape-Scene-600x338.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:13 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley kubrick had it withdrawn after a copycat beating/rape/murder happened (seem to remember it being a homeless person kicked to death to 'Singing in the rain'). I don't think it even got a far as being offered to TV to show it. I've not googled it but I think it was still in the cinema at the time.

It wasn't available to watch in any format until he died. Then it was on TV.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Stanley kubrick had it withdrawn after a copycat beating/rape/murder happened (seem to remember it being a homeless person kicked to death to 'Singing in the rain'). I don't think it even got a far as being offered to TV to show it. I've not googled it but I think it was still in the cinema at the time.

It wasn't available to watch in any format until he died. Then it was on TV.

Yep this. I saw it at the cinema before it was withdrawn.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:22 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was before my time but I dad told me about it years ago.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just called you old.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

'Orrorshow groodies, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that movie was out 17 years before I was even born Surprised

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
He just called you old.

I saw Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2