Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Starting an engine after many years

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:53 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Starting an engine after many years Reply with quote

My 'good' GSX1400 has been off the road for quite a few years, stored in an unheated garage ... done over 103k miles on it and only took it off the road as needing lots of work done after riding through many winters!

I know a full engine strip/rebuild would be best, but could I basically put flushing oil in (pour some over the top end as well), fresh fuel and fire her up?

Basic idea was for flushing oil, turn it over by hand a few times just to make sure nothing is stuck, then run (if it does) for a few minutes before then replacing the oil etc.

Any and all advice appreciated.

All the best ... Barry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:17 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's old oil I'd drain it down. I wouldn't use specific flushing oil, I'd just use cheap normal oil, maybe get a couple of filters at the same time so you can do a short-interval change.

Once it's oiled up, I'd give it a good turn over without fuel or spark to get all the oilways primed. You can turn them over by shorting across the starter solenoid.

I'd drain down any fuel that's stil int here, have a look in the tank with a torch and decide if you want to put fresh fuel in there ro give it a good clean out.

Evict any mice from the airbox.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my suggestion:
Remove the plugs, squirt in a tablespoon (or 2) engine oil in each cylinder. Drain the engine oil, replace the filter and refill with fresh oil less 1 litre. Remove the valve cover and pour in the last litre over the valve train. Turn the engine over by hand at least 2 revolutions and observe the valve train action. If all feels and looks good, replace the spark plugs. Drain the coolant and pour in fresh (consider replacing the pressure cap). Remove the low tension wires from the coils to disable the ignition system. Crank the engine over with the starter in two 15 second intervals to circulate oil through the galleries and lube the main and rod bearings. Replace the low tension wires, cross fingers, and crank.

Engine should start with a puff of blue smoke that will fade. Listen for abnormality. Idle until the hose to the top of the radiator gets hot. Check for coolant leaks and inspect hoses for bulges or visible abnormality. Check for oil leaks. Ride around the block and inspect again.

Edit: Stinkwheel is right; fresh fuel is important. Airbox mice reduce power.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:33 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would remove the plugs and spin the engine over for a minute on the starter to hopefully ensure that there is plenty of oil where it's needed.
Drain the tank and carbs- refill with fresh petrol and, make sure the petrol is getting through by undoing one of the carb drains and see it running out.
Then put it all back together and try it , give it a few whiffs of easy start to give it a bit of encouragement. It will probably cough and splutter and eventually come in on a few cylinders before settling down- hopefully.

Once the oil has circulated a bit it will pick up all the dirt, which may have settled out whilst stood. Once its up and running - that is the best time to drain and refill, but before using the bike on the road, in my opinion.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a known good engine with no faults when it was parked and hasnt been 'open' aka inlet/spark plugs/ exhaust/ rocker cover off then I wouldnt bother with taking anything off.

Id turn the ignition on so the oil pressure light functions then short the starter solenoid to crank it without any voltage going to the sparks. once its proven oil pressure once or twice Id give it fresh oil and filter, fresh fuel and filter then give it a chance at starting. Once it fires up let it idle for 5/10 mins to warm up.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shortage of opinions on this one. Pick one and go for it. What could go wrong? Praying

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 21:41 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys ... you've all basically said to do what I was intending to do ... didn't want to muddy the waters by giving a full description of my own thoughts.

It needs a lot of TLC to get it back on the road, but if I can get the engine running again without issue then that's a start!

Will let you know how I get on.

All the best ... Barry

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:25 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change for cheap oil, leave filter till second oil change
Airbox off and hoovered out then new filter.
Drain all fuel and check tank condition.
Carb bowls off and cleaned out. Carb cleaner on the lot.
Plugs out and new ones in.
Check it turns over nice and free and that all drives do the same (alternator , starter )
Check coolant for gunge/crystals/general crap and replace.
Battery out and clean up terminals before refitting.
Release oil down bores for a wee bit, just to help avoid any scoring.

Give it some.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Oil change for cheap oil, leave filter till second oil change
Airbox off and hoovered out then new filter.
Drain all fuel and check tank condition.
Carb bowls off and cleaned out. Carb cleaner on the lot.
Plugs out.
Check it turns over nice and free and that all drives do the same (alternator , starter )
New plugs in.
Check coolant for gunge/crystals/general crap and replace.
Battery out and clean up terminals before refitting.
Release oil down bores for a wee bit, just to help avoid any scoring.

Give it some.

FTFY Wink

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
If it was a known good engine with no faults when it was parked and hasnt been 'open' aka inlet/spark plugs/ exhaust/ rocker cover off then I wouldnt bother with taking anything off.

Id turn the ignition on so the oil pressure light functions then short the starter solenoid to crank it without any voltage going to the sparks. once its proven oil pressure once or twice Id give it fresh oil and filter, fresh fuel and filter then give it a chance at starting. Once it fires up let it idle for 5/10 mins to warm up.

Sort of this, except I wouldn't bother the time and money to change the oil, or short the solenoid.

Stick it in a high gear and rock it back and forth, just to make sure the rings aren't stuck, then if you can get the ignition working, its not going to start right away, at least not before it puts the pressure light out.

If you can get it to idle, good luck, just keep it running for a couple of minutes, to assess where you are (is it smoking like the Flying Scotsman or knocking worse than a barn door in a gale) then decide what to do next.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

You are aware that things can stick.

Once established all valves free and it turns over well, with a prepared sump and new oil filter, plugs out and bores lubed, turn very by hand and watch oil flow to filter, good, fit filter and keep turning.

By this stage use a racket on crank bolt and crank.

You will feel when the system starts to pressurise, keep cranking, has the oil light go e out ? Make sure engine ignition is dead via kill switch.

How many turns to put the oil light out, and to initial "oil gush ) from filter feed...

It's old, had problems before it's rest period, and it's your bike.

When it's comes to starting time, I would use some 2t in the fuel if carbed...

You can you can easy access the cams, will the engine turn over ok with them exposed...

Since the clutch will be stuck, maybe prodent to remove clutch cover for a look-see, and use any holes to internals for a low pressure flush out .

I would give it a good flush out.

Whilst it's dripping down, add some coloured fluid to the plug holes pistons mid bore.

Watch for this ...

Take your time, get it clean inside, make sure it turns over easily and puts the oil light out by hand when cold.

Check ignition( which was dead, off, killed, protected during all that rachet cranking ? Yes...

Test tank or main tank....carbs and cables...

Bike safe and on centre stand, add fuel, no overflows ? Good...

Battery good and working, if I t has a kick starter, give it a swing...

When it's started, minimum revs...check charging system, let it run low revs...computer fans for cooling...etc.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Your bike has had a long rest in jancurs, so needs to see the light of day, or arrange so fresh is is abundant.

Engine. All free, low pressure flushed out, clutch cover off, clean internals for flush out, the clutch will be stuck so a step down and clean. New steels plates at least ?

So flushed out, clutch sorted, cover on, new gasket.

All happy engine is free, well lubed and whizzes over on starter, ignition good, fuel system serviced, air systems ready to go, no fuel leaks/overflows, she has even compressions, fire extinguisher just over there, all ready, hit the title and it gently burrbles into life, reborn....for now.

Brakes etc...

Deep service...

Mot

Enjoy...what year is she ?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:41 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand fuel injection at all. Are there any bits of an FI system that could have got blocked/varnished up? Pump? Tap?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I don't understand fuel injection at all. Are there any bits of an FI system that could have got blocked/varnished up? Pump? Tap?

Injector nozzles spring to mind.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

God knows how much is 'jammed up' external to the engine (never mind internally)... I do need new throttle cables ... throttle bodies may be ok or not etc.

I'm not in any rush to get it done as I have another GSX1400 which I'm riding at the moment.

My 'good' 14 (2003) has one off billet yokes (designed by myself), gas flowed head, individual air filters, full Akra system, power commander, Hagon Nitro shocks (gubbed) etc ... I got around 125bhp at the back with just under 100ft/lb of torque.

Over 103k miles and still the original clutch .... but riding through winters has taken it's toll again .... but if I know the engine is good then I can start spending time on her and get her back to pristine again.

Again, thanks for all the hints/tips ... mucho appreciated.

All the best ... Barry

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Unlikely. The fuel injection is sealed, not like a carb where the bowls are vented to atmosphere. No vent = no evaporation = no gumming up of stuff. The pintels could get stuck shut as Islander said but they are easy to clean. Use a 9v battery to hold them open and dump them in an ultrasonic cleaner for a short while.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Starting an engine after many years Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
My 'good' GSX1400 has been off the road for quite a few years, stored in an unheated garage ... done over 103k miles on it and only took it off the road as needing lots of work done after riding through many winters!

I know a full engine strip/rebuild would be best, but could I basically put flushing oil in (pour some over the top end as well), fresh fuel and fire her up?

Basic idea was for flushing oil, turn it over by hand a few times just to make sure nothing is stuck, then run (if it does) for a few minutes before then replacing the oil etc.

Any and all advice appreciated.

All the best ... Barry

I work in the 'Oil Patch', the general consensus, among the non-technical there to free any stuck device is to, either dowse in in WD-40 or Soak it in Diesel (whatever is closest to hand at the time.)

I hope this helps. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Change:
Oil, and maybe oil the rocker gear if access is not a PIA, Fuel, Filter, Coolant if present (plus flush with tap water prior to refill with new coolant.)
Plugs (after you have birled it over a bit on the starter to see the oil light go out, if fitted.)
when you get it to fire/start try not to let the hoowur rev it's head off right off the bat. There may be broken something and you will lose the opperchancity to save collateral damage if it parts at 11000RPM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1