Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2013 Yamaha YBR Vs 2005 Honda CBR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

lewisparsons
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 Feb 2021    Post subject: 2013 Yamaha YBR Vs 2005 Honda CBR Reply with quote

Hi guys, i made the stupid mistake of buying a keeway superlight as my first manual to learn on, short story short, it had loads of problems from day 1 and was just a bag of beans. Now I managed to get rid of it I'm looking at my options for a way more reliable Japanese 125.

The two I'm looking at are a 2013 Yamaha YBR Custom and a 2005 Honda CBR. Both around the same price, both have pros and cons.

2013 Yamaha YBF:
+ 3k miles
+ Like the cruiser style
- seller seems a bit dodge
- doesn't have much service history

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/163077638939970/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

2005 Honda CBR:
+ had same woman owner for 10 years
+ regularly serviced and looked after as she used it as a commuter
+ love the Repsol fairings
- its on 24k miles

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/247385643597112/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

so my main questions are. How do the hondas CBR stand against the test of time? What is the better bike generally?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the cbr's clocks in kilometres? haven't looked closely but if so it must've been imported which seems...interesting

of the two, i suppose the Yamaha would be the better bet - given its lower mileage

stylistically i dislike both, as there's something a bit ridiculous about a repsol 125 and also an eighth of a litre cruiser; a CG is arguably best because it's the least pretentious - then again i had a vanvan and they're ludicrous (but funny with it, so they almost get off the hook)

i think the honda is too dear

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 20 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, lewisparsons. You're in good company here; good luck in your search.
Either bike sounds like it could be a winner, but you will need to examine each with a critical eye before you make an offer. The pix on your attachments all look good.

YBR 125
3000 miles is not even to the first scheduled service. Not surprising that there is scarce maintenance history, but:
The bike is 8 years old, and likely has suffered the neglect of non-use (375 miles /year). Check out the tires, they are probably showing signs of age. Rubber compounds harden over time, and if the YBR tires are original equipment, they will need to be replaced.
Ask the owner to show you how he checks the oil, and what brand and grade of oil is in the bike. (try to ascertain how involved he/she is in daily care of the bike), Carefully check out the physical condition of the bike. Look inside the tank for evidence of rust. Sit on it, does the suspension groan under your weight? How do the clutch and brakes feel? Do all of the lights, horn, mirrors work as designed? Take the bike for a test ride, if the owner will let you, and make sure it feels solid underway.

You say the seller seems a bit dodgy. That would concern me. If he's acting like he has something to hide, he may well be hiding something. Make sure that all documents proving ownership and license are current, valid, and legal. Make sure the title is in the seller's name, address is current, no leins against title, salvage title, etc. Don't buy any stories like "selling for a friend", "foreign title transfer is easy", "never bothered to register the title in my name", etc.

I have had a lot of success buying older, low mileage garage queens and restoring them to roadworthy condition. Just understand that these bikes are seldom turnkey, and that some investment in time and effort will be required to make them every day riders.

Honda CBR
10 years under one owner is a good sign.
Ask the same questions (oil check, etc). Who does the maintenance, how many miles since last valve check? How new are the tires? Why is the owner selling?
I would not be put off by the mileage, and in this case the mileage suggests regular use and regular service. I think these bikes are good for 3 times that. 100,000 miles may be pushing it for a well maintained 125, but I'd wager there are a few out there that have hit 6 figures on the odo.

FRS900
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:46 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't sweat over the mileage of either. As someone said before, for the YBR the limited service history is expected at that age/mileage.

Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to pry. At the end of the day you are parting with your cash, a seller should be happy to answer questions.

If you do not feel comfortable about a bike or it's seller, it is perfectly acceptable to chin it off and move onto the next one. The right bike will come along in due course, the market is full of them! It's better to wait a few more days or a week even for the right bike then to rush into buying a lemon or something that is stolen.

A noob is easily parted with his money.

I've refused to buy from dodgy people; I've also refused to sell to seemingly dodgy people. Had no dramas.

Give the bike the customary checks and try to figure out whether the owner is involved in looking after the bike.

125's are often used as workhorses. My current YBR125 is 5 years old. Bought it in November last year with 17,019 on the clock.

It's now at 20,745. I put 3,726 miles on already!

Make sure that bike is oiled; fluids all topped up and fixtures and fittings kept in good condition. If there is sod all oil; the brakes are worn through and both tyres balder than Phil Mitchel, chances are they are treating that bike like dogshit and you have a bit of work on your hands keeping it ticking over.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 2014 YBR (not a custom) and a 2005 Cbr and they were both good bikes. My CBR was on about 20k miles when I owned it almost 10 years ago and the only issue I ever had was the exhaust rusting. Ybr was great too but definitely a bike built to be cheaper than the CBR with the rear drum etc.
I preferred the cbr because it looked cooler and has some wind protection.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My golden rule when buying anything second hand is, if I have any bad vibes about the seller walk away. There's more than one YBR125 in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1