Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noisy-er exhausts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m definitely coming round to a quieter exhaust.
I like to slip by unnoticed and go about my business without anyone realising I’ve been there.

Big LOUD aftermarket horns on the other hand? Hell yeh!

Last edited by pepperami on 11:10 - 04 Apr 2021; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
because its a novelty .. a surf boarding dog would get the same attention

I, too, have stood grinning goonishly as naked cyclists ride down Charing Cross Road. I have been that person shouting "Woo! Check out the dangle on you!"

Laughing People need occasional colour in their grey dull little lives. Laughing
It keeps their noses to the grindstone, wishing "If only I was brave enough to ... [whatevs]"
I do it myself, so I know.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
People need occasional colour in their grey dull little lives.

True, so true.!

MC Tunes
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
because its a novelty .. a surf boarding dog would get the same attention

I, too, have stood grinning goonishly as naked cyclists ride down Charing Cross Road. I have been that person shouting "Woo! Check out the dangle on you!"

Laughing People need occasional colour in their grey dull little lives. Laughing
It keeps their noses to the grindstone, wishing "If only I was brave enough to ... [whatevs]"
I do it myself, so I know.

If the only way you have of colouring your life is to fit an obnoxiously loud exhaust then I'd suggest that you don't have a life to start with.
Honestly that's the most pathetic statement I've read in a long time.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alright, cos it works for me.
Wink

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the bike and the can, but also how the bikes running at the time relative to the tone and amount of noise it puts out. Pops and bangs can be fun, but if your fuelling is out (or as recently happened to me) the air filter is old and probably not doing a great job then the noisy exhaust turns annoying.

I recently removed the Remus I'd purchased and replaced it with the one that came with the bike (aftermarket also, but not annoyingly so). It means less dogs running towards my legs as they walk past while I'm waiting at lights, and so for now its a winner.

I had a Viper on the ZR7S I had, and that bike was the best sounding thing I ever owned.

I had a set of Remus cans on the CBF 1000 and that transformed the engine tone night and day, but performance issues made me remove them (fuel injected, but it wasn't the cans fault anyway). I also had a set of Viper cans for it at one point, but the build quality of the link pipes were poor and much preferred the Remus.

It doesn't hurt to try aftermarket exhaust cans, but I'd only ever buy them second hand on eBay.

For occasional rides when the weather or mood suits then keeping loud cans on is fine, but for everyday commuting it gets tiresome after a while.

A16 (although I've never owned one), Remus and Viper would probably be my go-to brands.

I'm spoilt because cans pop up for the FZS 600 on eBay in their droves, but it depends what you run and how much one would cost second hand.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
That's alright, cos it works for me.
Wink

what about .. naked surfing wit a dog .. would that work too ?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the dog, really Thinking

twooo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:58 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I've had my SP engineering cans on for 2 mots and I haven't been reprimanded yet, mind you, I have tweaked the baffles slightly to take the edge off a bit.

What did you do to tweak the baffles? I fitted an SP exhaust today, and it sounds like the hounds of Hell are all growling in unison. It's bloody scary in comparison to the standard can!

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there's a lot more to this conversation than I expected. Still unsure on whether I want loud exhausts or not. May be delayed by spending the money on other things first, such as suspension.

Edit: Had a quick look on ebay and there's some pretty cheap ok end cans going. Anyone have any experience of Viper vs Carbon can co exhausts?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is taken from here
https://northyorkshire.police.uk/news/bank-holiday-roads/?fbclid=IwAR1_NYD-w6ayLljKRHE7KhwITWhOBaUfBF4z1RrTQ9or8vDpVyFvQqDEjtw

"Vehicle defects or illegal/uninsured modifications. This will include illegal number plates and exhausts, which will now be tested at the roadside with official equipment to ensure they are within legal noise levels"

it is becomin apparent that exhausts are now on da police radar .. yes this is yorkshire but i`ve seen reports from other cuntstabularies .. Cheshire & Wales.. point bein that county/traffic cars are now bein equipped wit noise meters .. Caveat Emptor

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there actually a definition of a "legal limit" though?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Edit: Had a quick look on ebay and there's some pretty cheap ok end cans going. Anyone have any experience of Viper vs Carbon can co exhausts?

Viper are okay, but not premium. You can buy them brand new from Wemoto most of the time, or via eBay breakers that stock them brand new. I realise you're looking at used ones, and so compare the price difference and see if the used one really is a deal.

I had a Viper branded end can with no baffle on a ZR7S I owned and I never felt the need to replace it the whole time I owned it, but after having twin Viper cans and link pipes on a CBF1000 I think that was more the engine on the ZR7S that produced an appealing noise. Contrary to liking the Viper on the ZR7S the quality of the link pipes for the CBF1000 were woeful and it wasn't long before I sold them on.

Heard of Carbon Can Company, but no experience.

I like Remus cans. The set I had on the CBF1000 bought the engine alive, and on the FZS 600 produced an appealing tone.. but I'm on the tail end of solving various running issues with the bike so can't comment entirely. The baffles are usually riveted, but for smooth performance I'd probably leave them in (my experience on removing the one for the FZS 600).

I recently put a tri-oval Delkevic on, but a cold day with snow in the air was probably not the best day to test its popping ability. I'm impressed that the link pipes contains one of those crush baffles. I like the build quality. It was a little quiet, though, but I think that's more to do with the fact that my old header pipes were probably making more noise than I knew was good for the bike. That and it is a longer one, so probably not as yobbo as I'd hoped.

I may try and find a short Delkevic for larks. Anyone got a spare storage shed, or ten? Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

yes .. look at the sticker on your headstock it will give a design limit in dba.. for both the drive by and static test.. varies from bike to bike.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

yes .. look at the sticker on your headstock it will give a design limit in dba.. for both the drive by and static test.. varies from bike to bike.

Yeah I know the design stickers on the bike, but does it actually specify in law that's what the limit is? Would like to see the code for it.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Yeah I know the design stickers on the bike, but does it actually specify in law that's what the limit is? Would like to see the code for it.

yes..

code ? wot you mean ?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in where in actual law does it specify that the legal limit is what the manufacturer prints on the side of the bike?

Not saying it doesn't exist but everything I've seen is just the usual "not excessively loud" BS.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you could always try doing without an exhaust altogether, as a mate of mine once tried, just to see what it would sound like. No, he didn't ride it like that, but he thought a GPz1100 would sound pretty mean...until he realised the jets of flame from the exhaust ports were taking all the paint off the bike's frame front down-tubes Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Not saying it doesn't exist but everything I've seen is just the usual "not excessively loud" BS.

use google .. its out there .. i`ve seen .. but its in legal text ..

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

use google .. its out there .. i`ve seen .. but its in legal text ..

Already did, but I couldn't find any reference to legal limits with regards to what's printed on the vehicle itself.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Already did, but I couldn't find any reference to legal limits with regards to what's printed on the vehicle itself.

the ride by test is been around for some time in English law .. iirc 80dba .. and is based on cc size ..

the static test is part of the Euro 4 or 5 regulations .. found on the European union site .. its a wall of text .. excruciating to read.. i gave up ....

I've found bits and pieces of info. on here https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/

and this exhausts what i have to say .. if you want more use google.
MC Tunes This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Tunes wrote:

You see there you go.
You're a sad twat who craves attention.
You think people are looking at you in awe when in reality they're probably laughing at you.

thats a bit harsh Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 04 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
As in where in actual law does it specify that the legal limit is what the manufacturer prints on the side of the bike?

The only limit I know of for definite is in the MSVA and it's 99 dbA ~ half a meter from the exhaust...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/821685/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual.pdf

(page 142)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4