Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike overtaking another motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Motorbike overtaking another motorbike Reply with quote

I was riding on a nice long twisty A road today, giving it as much speed as I felt safe with. (500cc bike).
I noticed lights from another bike a fair way behind me.
As it happened, the bike didn't come up close behind me, but I kept an eye on my mirrors.
It occurred to me, what happens if a faster rider comes up behind when in the twisties?
Do I signal them somehow to pass, or just carry on and allow them to whizz past in their own way? If today the bike had come close behind me and stayed behind I would have been distracted by not really knowing what the etiquette is. I wouldn't know if he's just riding with me for fun or if I'm being an obstruction.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priority Number 1 is your own safety, fuck worrying about who's behind you. Priority Number 2: is everyone else safe around you.

"Is everyone else having fun?" is so far down the list you shouldn't even call it a priority! By all means find a straight bit and hug the side of the road to let them pass but only if it's safe for both you and them.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:01 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mustn't let the bastard past at any cost, Evil or Very Mad specially if they've got a bigger bike than you. Weave all over the road, braking erratically, indicating left and pulling to right occassionally, Tut Tut whilst sticking the finger up at them Middle Finger

Nah, just ride sensibly and legally, being aware of vehilcles around you, Whistle getting past you is not your worry, it's theirs, if they want to come past they more than likely will. But you can still give 'em the finger though. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the person behind you worry about that. Just concentrate on riding normally and not making weird moves.

If you get a nice long straight or something, feel free to move over, and if there's not going to be any confusion with turnings etc, indicate to the kerb, they'll get the message soon enough.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:05 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride normally and predictably and they will pass when it's safe.

I find other motorbikes among the hardest things to pass because they can start behaving erratically when another bike comes up behind them. I'll generally follow for a bit so I can size-up what they are up to.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to confess, in this instance it made me start riding far more aggressively than I would normally. I'm still a new rider so need to curtail that for now. Funny old business because in my car I wouldn't change my driving at all if a car or bike was behind me.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:57 - 04 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Ride for yourself” as my instructor said.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 06 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say just ride safely and predictably. I had a frustrating experience on the Cat & Fiddle last week where I caught up a Triumph (with an invisible aftermarket brake light) - they were going slowly around corners but then sped up down the straights. Ended up having to overtake on an open but tight corner as otherwise I'd have been diddled by the average speed cameras. It would have been much simpler if the other rider had let me pass on the straight rather than speeding up each time.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:32 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of on topic but not really...

A few weeks ago I was coming down the A21 on the single-lane bit between Kippings Cross and Lamberhurst. I came rolling up behind a guy on a Harley who was following a slower car in front of him. I was clearly in more of a hurry than he was (well let's call it more spirited riding) but I didn't intimidate him, ride too close to him or anything like that. I was keen to overtake the pair of them but held back for a while as stinkwheel says to size him up and assess what he was up to. I kept looking in his mirrors to try to make eye-contact or see if he'd noticed me but wasn't getting any feedback. He seemed quite content on following the slower car and made no attempt to overtake it for quite some time. So I waited for the next big straight and calmly went to overtake. At this point the guy on the Harley pulled out to overtake the car and I followed behind, I know Harleys aren't quick but I got the distinct impression he wasn't trying very hard to get round the car quickly. Almost like he was deliberately doing it as slow as possible to piss me off. We started approaching a bend and traffic coming the other way and he pulled right in front of the car and slowed down to the same pace as it but leaving sweet fuck all room for me to pull in behind him, meaning I had to virtually anchor up in the middle of two lanes and pull back in behind the car before the bend and oncoming traffic.

I've been wondering whether to put that down to him just being a Harley prick or whether to blame myself for attempting an overtake where there was no room to pull in. Irony is I could have dropped two gears and blasted past him WAY back, leaving him for dust, but I gave him the room and respect and patience we all deserve and waited for him to do the overtake and followed him through (would have then gone to overtake him one-on-one after passing the car rather than blasting past two of them in one go). You expect people to make dick moves like that in BMWs. I didn't expect it from another biker bro (Harley or not) when I'd done nothing to upset him in the first place Crying or Very sad

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
...Irony is I could have dropped two gears and blasted past him WAY back, leaving him for dust, but I gave him the room and respect and patience we all deserve and waited for him to do the overtake and followed him through..

So much for room, respect, and patience, eh? Confused Odd experience you had. Mark one data point. Many of the HD bikers I encounter are all about showing off what great riders they are. Like splitting lanes at hair-raising speeds; most are quite eager to show me their tail light. A tap on your horn when you first pulled out might have alerted HD to your presence if he did not see you before. Might be preferrable to pass biker and car all in one maneuver, rather than pass the bike, then the car. Passing the Harley, only to tuck in behind the slow car could be erroneously interpreted as an act of aggression and yeild unintended consequence. On the other hand, Mr. HD could be a novice, or otherwise out of his league on that bike, petrified with fear, death grip on the bars. Oblivious.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
A tap on your horn when you first pulled out might have alerted HD to your presence if he did not see you before.

i doubt a Harley rider would hear a horn over his own exhaust noise Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably have done similar; maybe it's British queuing mentality, but if there was a bike in front of me I'd consider it to be their "turn" to overtake first. I'd also have been very frustrated if they'd behaved like that though.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
On the other hand, Mr. HD could be a novice, or otherwise out of his league on that bike, petrified with fear, death grip on the bars. Oblivious.

This is mostly why I didn't make a big deal about it. I mean I'm mostly pretty easy going and laid back when other road users do something stupid but this really pissed me off. I was tempted to give him some gestures or shake my head as I passed but I let that one go and just carried on up the road because there's enough road rage and lack of consideration and respect for other road users out there as it is without me adding to it, and I generally feel that bikers should stick together, look out for each other and go out of their way to be courteous to each other. I gave him the benefit of the doubt though and thought like you said maybe he was a beginner or just genuinely didn't realise I was there (although I think that's unlikely, it seemed pretty deliberate to me that he was purposely blocking my overtake as he slowed back down and stayed hard right after the overtake rather than continuing up the road to open up the gap behind him, and FWIW I think it's pretty irresponsible riding not to keep an eye on your six anyway, whether you're speeding or not, do you really want that half asleep lorry driver to plough into you if you're following a car going THAT slowly? If he didn't see me (and I was behind him for a decent amount of time), he SHOULD have seen me and been paying attention to what's behind him.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
...I let that one go and just carried on up the road because there's enough road rage and lack of consideration and respect for other road users out there as it is without me adding to it...

You show remarkable self restraint and I commend you for that. Often times, when we riders fail to keep our cool, it ends badly. The last time I lost emotional control (on a ride), I wound up with a broken collar bone Doh! Luckily, I only hurt myself. But for the grace of God, it could have been much worse. Lesson learned. Embarassed

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:
On the other hand, Mr. HD could be a novice, or otherwise out of his league on that bike, petrified with fear, death grip on the bars. Oblivious.

This is mostly why I didn't make a big deal about it. I mean I'm mostly pretty easy going and laid back when other road users do something stupid but this really pissed me off. I was tempted to give him some gestures or shake my head as I passed but I let that one go and just carried on up the road because there's enough road rage and lack of consideration and respect for other road users out there as it is without me adding to it, and I generally feel that bikers should stick together, look out for each other and go out of their way to be courteous to each other. I gave him the benefit of the doubt though and thought like you said maybe he was a beginner or just genuinely didn't realise I was there (although I think that's unlikely, it seemed pretty deliberate to me that he was purposely blocking my overtake as he slowed back down and stayed hard right after the overtake rather than continuing up the road to open up the gap behind him, and FWIW I think it's pretty irresponsible riding not to keep an eye on your six anyway, whether you're speeding or not, do you really want that half asleep lorry driver to plough into you if you're following a car going THAT slowly? If he didn't see me (and I was behind him for a decent amount of time), he SHOULD have seen me and been paying attention to what's behind him.

Sounds deliberate to me, some people seem to take it as a personal insult when you overtake them. I think the right thing to do there is get back behind the car and let him overtake. I never like overtaking with someone else as you have no idea how fast they are going to go and if they will leave you enough space once past.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't first, you are last.

Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Sounds deliberate to me, some people seem to take it as a personal insult when you overtake them. I think the right thing to do there is get back behind the car and let him overtake. I never like overtaking with someone else as you have no idea how fast they are going to go and if they will leave you enough space once past.

Does to me too - and coincidentally I had a dude on a Harley do very similar shitweasling in front of me through Kent back last year. I was on the Enfield and to pull overtakes at 50+ requires some commitment. This guy was so bloody slow everywhere that I was practically walking the bike around bends but every time I got close he'd stick the throttle on out of the bend to drop me back - then sit centre of lane on the straight bits at ~55 ish.

On the Enfield I've caught up with riders of much more capable bikes in the lanes and just not had the power to get by, nor the arseholeishnesss to blast around them in the middle of a bend. It can be very frustrating.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I never like overtaking with someone else as you have no idea how fast they are going to go and if they will leave you enough space once past.

You're right of course. Should put that down to a lesson learned really (as I'm still a relatively inexperienced rider only into my 3rd season of big bike riding now) and make a mental note not to follow through someone else's overtake unless I know there's definitely room at the other end (bit like not pulling into a box junction without the exit being clear).

The last proper lesson learned like this was following a van over Yalding bridge. Wasn't following particularly closely but evidently a car came barrelling round the corner from the other direction and charged over the bridge even though the van in front of me was 3/4 the way across. Van driver done what he though to be the adult thing to do and backed up a bit to give way to the oncoming knobhead. Unfortunately for me the van driver didn't see me behind him and run straight over me. I was uninjured but the bike was a write-off (again, literally just that day having the repairs from the previous write-off completed and put on the road and insured). Was it my fault? No. Could I have avoided it with better road positioning? Definitely!

Little things like this we learn as we go along :-/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:53 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is being a fuck-knuckle, SOP is to either drop back then overtake them at speed while they are already overtaking or outbrake them and ride it round the outside on the way into a corner because fuck-knuckles can't corner. Then look in the mirror for the ensuing hilarity. Wave a leg in the air on the way past.

The former is normally very entertaining because they are usually in no way expecting or watching for it and shite themselves.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with that is you don't really know if someone is going to be a fuck-knuckle and deliberately impede your progress until after they've already done it. If I'd known in advance then yeah I'd have blasted past him at the first opportunity. Problem being I gave him the same respect and would give anyone else. Did eventually embarrass him with a supersonic overtake but only after he'd already been a dick.
MikesBike712 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesBike712 wrote:
I quickly feel pressured when someone is driving behind me and I'm not sure whether the person wants to overtake or not.

Bin your mirrors, pressure gone.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 12 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesBike712 wrote:
You can always give a hint by flashing your lights briefly, so that it is clear that you can be overtaken.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT20soPQpr4HX_B0KFjZ4q4POnpgpMtchKLQ&usqp=CAU

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:07 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesBike712 wrote:
You can always give a hint by flashing your lights briefly, so that it is clear that you can be overtaken.

WHAT!! How does that let the following rider know anything?
Somebody explain... what am I missing? Sounds like a crock to me, but I've been wrong before so....

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 13 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from the fastest rider so if I'm out and not going quick and i see someone approaching like they're on fire I do nothing, no change of speed or direction and they can go past at their own pace.

How people choose to overtake you is their problem but if they're going to commit to an overtake then it needs to be their decision, not lulled into it / invited into it by you.

If I'm the one overtaking then it's a two part process. So it's pull out and see if it's clear / wait for it to be clear and then overtake. That gives you the bailout of back behind what you were about to overtake in case something changes. I'd never follow another bike past something unless I was 100% sure i could make it past 'it' and if needed the other bike too.

If someone is that much of a cock, pull over. Take 5, have a piss / admire the scenery and then off you go. Let them crack on and be someone elses accident.

If it's in the car and i get some twat behind ( car or bike) and i know the roads i'll head for corners without using the brakes at all and just drop it a couple of gears and ping round it. Or if it's a set of corners, i'll fake brake for the mild corners and not brake at all for the last sharp one. Most of the time they'll run wide and panic cos they were watching what you were doing, not paying attention to what they should be doing. It's massively childish fun but it proves what i reckon is the point.

People just aren't paying any attention to what you or they are doing. Trying to attach any sense to it is futile. All you can do is have your spidey senses on and plan for fuckwittery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2